Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
csf248

SUNY Rockland Fire Protection Course?

7 posts in this topic

I was looking at colleges in the area, and i was wondering if anyone could tell me about Suny Rocklands Fire Protection Technology course?

also are there any othe schools in the area that offer fire majors besides new haven?

I was looking at colleges in the area, and i was wondering if anyone could tell me about Suny Rocklands Fire Protection Technology course?

also are there any othe schools in the area that offer fire majors besides new haven?

univ of maryland has a huge fire program but that is not local also a big party

school

i also kno that corning college has a fire program

I'm pretty sure John Jay college of criminal justice has a fire science program.

The New York State Academy of Fire Sciences has a good relationship with Corning Community College and they take quite a bit of fire courses for credit. Also, Empire State has a distance learning program that offers credit for courses. They also work with the Fire Academy. Duthcess Community College has two programs that offer studies in Fire Science. Dave Walsh, retired Lt. from Arlington FD (Dutchess County) runs the program.

Im the the program at RCC PM me with any questions

Dutchess Community College has two fire science degrees. Associates of Science (AS) in Occupational Health and Safety and an associates of applied science (AAS) in Fire Protection Technology. The AS is designed to be used to transfer into a 4 year program and the AAS is designed to put you right into the fire protection industry. I used to go to JJay but didn't really like it because most of the Fire Science classes were internet based and involved alot of papers and discussion boards. Dutchess has all classroom based classes and less papers and more presentations. Check out the DCC web site were you can get a full course discription. Its a great course and I would highly recommend it.

Also, I don't know anything about it but I hear Empire State College has a Fire Science course as well.

Hope this helped!

Check out this Thread

http://emtbravo.net/index.php?showtopic=8693

Dutchess Community College offers 2 different 2-year degrees, an Associate in Science for transfer onto another school (FPT), and the 2-year Associate in Applied Science (FIR), meant for going directly into the field.

Fire Protection Technology (FPT) A.A.S. (for transfer to 4-year school)

Fire and Occupational Safety (FIR) A.S.

I am currently enrolled in the FPT, transfer Fire Science course at Dutchess Comm. College, and I absolutely love the course. The instructor is a retired career firefighter from up here, as well as a NYS OFPC instructor. The courses, material, presentations, stories and experiences are good, and relevant. This is somewhat of a fledgling course at DCC, seeing as it is only in its 4th semester of existance, so not all of the bugs are worked out, but it is still a great course, and gets better each day it goes on. I highly recommend it to anyone close enough, or willing to travel a little for it. DCC offers the lowest tuition in NYS, and there are a great bunch of people up here (not knocking anyone else, so please do not that it that way). If anyone would like any more info about the program I am in, please feel free to PM me, I would be more than happy to elaborate!!!!