RWC130

NYS Blue Light Law

4 posts in this topic

New York State

Vehicle & Traffic Law

Section 375 41.4

Blue Light

One blue light may be affixed to any motor vehicle owned by a volunteer

member of a fire department or on a motor vehicle owned by a member of such person’s family residing in the same household or by a business

enterprise in which such person has a proprietary interest or by which he is employed, provided such volunteer fireman has been authorized in writing to so affix a blue light by the chief of the fire department or company of which he is a member, which authorization shall be the subject to revocation at any time by the chief who issued the same or his successor in office. Such blue light may be displayed by such volunteer fireman on such vehicle only when engaged in an emergency operation.

Revised 2001

Hear Hear!

I wish some of the Chief's out there, would enforce the "revocation" part, and even call the cops on some of the vehicles operated by volunteer firefighters.

I've personally seen no less than 10 blue lights on 1 vehicle, that does not include the clear in front and rear.

If this keeps up, one of these days, the cops will win and they will have the blue lights they want, and the volunteers will have no lights!

Personally, I don't really understand the NYS bluelight laws.

If you look at Vermont, they have literally no restrictions, they're allowed red lights... sirens... etc. They are responding to an emergency and are rightfully doing so.

I personally only have one blue light, but generally when responding also use my emeregency flashers (yellow) for safety reasons.

If i'm going through an intersection, I think for *our* safety, we should be allowed more than one light. I think that side strobes or something should be allowed in case say someone making a right-on-red doesn't see you, etc.

Hey Guys,

Just posting the revised law for everyone to read. That is right out of the NYS V&T law book. This could be one hell of a discussion.

Enjoy!