Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

E.M.T. Promotion to Firefighter?

9 posts in this topic

Does anyone have any info on how the promotion to firefighter from EMT works. I know the basic jist of it but has anyone out there done this and with so what was the process like. Any info is appreciated. Stay safe!

It's the same thing as the open competitive exam.. There are some rules to it, such as you have to be Civil Service not provisonal.

What is it that you want to know?

does anyone know if it is easier than to just take the fire test.

I already recieved a letter to start as an FDNY EMT last October, but i declined it at the time. Since then I have reapplied with the hope of doing the EMT thing until promoting to Firefighter. Basically Iam curious to know if this is the best way to get on the job, how long does it take you do your EMT time until you become a FF and is this what most people do to get the job.

Thanks

...also known as the back door to the job.

One big advantage to becoming an EMT first is that you get your pension started. So you can start your pension and then get hired as a FF and have some money in your pension. Sort of like being a cop first but the time doesn't count for anything.

From when you get the letter to become an FDNY EMT (provisional list, you're looking at 6 or more months till you get into the EMS academy. From there you take the EMS civil service test. After being a civil service employee for 1 year you can take the promotion to FF exam. People call it a back door to the FD, but its usually not faster and its definately not easier (2+yrs in FDNY EMS to become a FF). What it is, is a good back up to the open competitive list.

do you know if you are able to take both open competative and promotional test and have your name on both lists?

Yes you take both and pay for both. You will fill out most paperwork twice even the anwser sheet at the test. If you don't do this and the Dept or some court shuts down the promo then you are out of luck.

My brother is on the list now for FF and wait to go. I have tried to talk him into going into EMS, by working his job now he get nothing towards his future. If he went to EMS at least he could start his pension time. He would still get hired open competative but atleast have some time in the pension system