Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Mounting Lights

12 posts in this topic

Hello Everyone,

I am in the process of installing blue lights on my 1996 Isuzu Trooper and was wondering if anyone had any advice on how to mount led's the the fronts of the mirrors. I am using the speedtech linear grill lights in my installation. Any tips would be greately appreciated.

Hello Everyone,

I am in the process of installing blue lights on my 1996 Isuzu Trooper and was wondering if anyone had any advice on how to mount led's the the fronts of the mirrors. I am using the speedtech linear grill lights in my installation. Any tips would be greately appreciated.

First, welcome to the boards.

Secondly, a bit of advice, SpeedTech Lights are garbage, I guarantee you will have nothing but problems with them, ditch them and get a name brand. Whelen, Code 3, Axixtech, Federal Signal, SVP, etc...

Hello Everyone,

Hey Guys, what is the NYS law regarding these courtesy lights? I was told that it might have changed but I think in the past you were only allowed one blue light of under a certain candlepower and no strobes???

Has this changed because I have been noticing a lot of personal vehicles with a whole heck of a lot of blue lights on them??

§ 375 (41). Colored and flashing lights.

4. Blue light. a. One blue light may be affixed to any motor vehicle owned by a volunteer member of a fire department or on a motor vehicle owned by a member of such person's family residing in the same household or by a business enterprise in which such person has a proprietary interest or by which he or she is employed, provided such volunteer firefighter has been authorized in writing to so affix a blue light by the chief of the fire department or company of which he or she is a member, which authorization shall be subject to revocation at any time by the chief who issued the same or his or her successor in office. Such blue light may be displayed exclusively by such volunteer firefighter on such a vehicle only when engaged in an emergency operation. The use of blue and red light combinations shall be prohibited on all fire vehicles. The use of blue lights on fire vehicles shall be prohibited and the use of blue lights on vehicles shall be restricted for use only by a volunteer firefighter except as otherwise provided for in subparagraph b of this paragraph.

b. In addition to the red and white lights authorized to be displayed pursuant to paragraph two of this subdivision, one or more blue lights or combination blue and red lights or combination blue, red and white lights may be affixed to a police vehicle, provided that such blue light or lights shall be displayed on a police vehicle for rear projection only. In the event that the trunk or rear gate of a police vehicle obstructs or diminishes the visibility of other emergency lighting on such vehicle, a blue light may be affixed to and displayed from the trunk, rear gate or interior of such vehicle. Such lights may be displayed on a police vehicle when such vehicle is engaged in an emergency operation. Nothing contained in this subparagraph shall be deemed to authorize the use of blue lights on police vehicles unless such vehicles also display one or more red or combination red and white lights as otherwise authorized in this subdivision.

c. The commissioner is authorized to promulgate rules and regulations relating to the use, placement, power and display of blue lights on a police vehicle.

http://www.safeny.com/emer-vt.htm

However, I fail to see where the original poster indicated that he was from, or would be operating the vehicle New York...

§ 375 (41). Colored and flashing lights.

4. Blue light. a. One blue light may be affixed to any motor vehicle owned by a volunteer member of a fire department or on a motor vehicle owned by a member of such person's family residing in the same household or by a business enterprise in which such person has a proprietary interest or by which he or she is employed, provided such volunteer firefighter has been authorized in writing to so affix a blue light by the chief of the fire department or company of which he or she is a member, which authorization shall be subject to revocation at any time by the chief who issued the same or his or her successor in office. Such blue light may be displayed exclusively by such volunteer firefighter on such a vehicle only when engaged in an emergency operation. The use of blue and red light combinations shall be prohibited on all fire vehicles. The use of blue lights on fire vehicles shall be prohibited and the use of blue lights on vehicles shall be restricted for use only by a volunteer firefighter except as otherwise provided for in subparagraph b of this paragraph.

b. In addition to the red and white lights authorized to be displayed pursuant to paragraph two of this subdivision, one or more blue lights or combination blue and red lights or combination blue, red and white lights may be affixed to a police vehicle, provided that such blue light or lights shall be displayed on a police vehicle for rear projection only. In the event that the trunk or rear gate of a police vehicle obstructs or diminishes the visibility of other emergency lighting on such vehicle, a blue light may be affixed to and displayed from the trunk, rear gate or interior of such vehicle. Such lights may be displayed on a police vehicle when such vehicle is engaged in an emergency operation. Nothing contained in this subparagraph shall be deemed to authorize the use of blue lights on police vehicles unless such vehicles also display one or more red or combination red and white lights as otherwise authorized in this subdivision.

c. The commissioner is authorized to promulgate rules and regulations relating to the use, placement, power and display of blue lights on a police vehicle.

http://www.safeny.com/emer-vt.htm

However, I fail to see where the original poster indicated that he was from, or would be operating the vehicle New York...

Thanks for the info. No, I wasn't referring to the original poster specifically. His post just made me think of this issue. So, if NYS law only allows for one blue light, how come I see so many vehicles with numerous blue lights mounted all over the place??

Thanks for the info. No, I wasn't referring to the original poster specifically. His post just made me think of this issue. So, if NYS law only allows for one blue light, how come I see so many vehicles with numerous blue lights mounted all over the place??

The original poster should also be aware that perminant mounting on the exterior of the vehicle can be illigal if you travel into another state that considers them for PD only, unless covered.

How many Police Depts are violating this law with forward facing blue lights?

How many FD's have violating this law with blue lights on apparatus?

These are just questions to ponder, please DO NOT ANSWER, we do not need another round. But if your dept is violating the law, fix it, then lobby NYS to change the law if you think you should be allowed to do this.

Thanks Firefighter,

I have a Whelen mini led bar mounted on my car and was looking for a cheaper alternative to other lights. My dash light is working ok but I will be weary of any problems that may arise. It does seem that they are a new company so thanks for the heads up.

Thanks Firefighter,

I have a Whelen mini led bar mounted on my car and was looking for a cheaper alternative to other lights. My dash light is working ok but I will be weary of any problems that may arise. It does seem that they are a new company so thanks for the heads up.

STL has been around for a while, but the quality of their products, and customer service, is complete garbage.

Hey Guys, what is the NYS law regarding these courtesy lights? I was told that it might have changed but I think in the past you were only allowed one blue light of under a certain candlepower and no strobes???

Has this changed because I have been noticing a lot of personal vehicles with a whole heck of a lot of blue lights on them??

Chief Flynn,

I would venture a guess, that it was approximately 2003, or 2004, when LED lights first started making appearances as warning lights, that the candlepower portion of the law was scrapped. Currently there is no limit to that, although the statute still does limit it to "one blue light visible from 360*".

Why use any lights? Just fly below the radar.

I would venture a guess, that it was approximately 2003, or 2004, when LED lights first started making appearances as warning lights, that the candlepower portion of the law was scrapped. Currently there is no limit to that, although the statute still does limit it to "one blue light visible from 360*".

And prior to that were the strobes. Did the rules change regarding candlepower or are they simply being ignored?

It does still state one light visible from 360 degrees so what's with the grill lights, deck lights, and other lights that are not authorized?

And prior to that were the strobes. Did the rules change regarding candlepower or are they simply being ignored?

It does still state one light visible from 360 degrees so what's with the grill lights, deck lights, and other lights that are not authorized?

Chris, laws dont apply to cops and firefighters, we are above the law because in our minds we are so important that the laws are only for others (I dont know who those others would be with emergency lights).

Since Fire Chiefs have to licence blue lights, they are legaly responsable when members use blue lights outside of the law and they take no action.

Police chiefs are responsible when police cars have illegal lights intalled on them (previously blue, now forward blue).

If a chief is willing to ignore these laws, what other laws, particularly those that deal with the safety of the public and emergency personnel are they willing to ignor?