Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

My Diner Outrage!

10 posts in this topic

So, I walk into my local diner, Mt. Parnese ( Central Ave. opposite Staples/Child World in the Greenville Fire District Town Of Greenburgh), and see a sign that the diner is closing at it's current location this month. I was stunned, this was very unexpected.

This busy diner, with good food and very nice facility, has been evicted by the landlord, who sold the property to a BANK!!!! Just what Central Ave. in Greenburgh needs.......another bank. There's a bank next door, a bank across the street, and several other banks, numerous other banks, within walking distance. This is ridiculous, and lame. Landlord should be ashamed, these people who have worked hard to build this diner now get it ripped out from under them to build another bank. And if it's a Commerce Bank, it'll annoy me even more...they are infesting the area....and have a habit of buying places and demolishing them to build their cookie-cutter like unoriginal and boring building and parking lot. What happened to the grand old banks that were architecturally great, original, and nice to look at? It's branding I tell ya...I guess Commerce thinks its customers are too stupid to read a sign and will reconize the bank because every one looks the freakin same! I do think Commerce does have great service and progressive banking ideas that makes life easier for their customers though.

And really, how many banks can one community sustain???

The diner is supposedly moving down the street where Central Sqaure Cafe now is. So Central Ave will lose yet another eatery. Maybe they will gain one if Chili's moves in where KB is in Hartsdale, we can only hope. But even there, a gas station got evicted to build a, yes, BANK!!! Oh wait, TWO banks are being built in that area from scratch! Right now, I have THREE Chase banks within a 3 minute or less walk from my house.

I hope this diner is able to relocate succesfully. Because if it doesn't, the only other diner close to me doesnt have food nearly as good and the service can be arrogant.

If anything, maybe Greenville will get the building for training before it is demolished and invite their lime green friends from down the road.

We need more eateries in this county, not banks! This is becoming a Westchester epedemic. Grrrrr.

Amen!!!

I work right down the street from that Diner and have eaten there many times. I am shocked to hear that they are closing! I had no idea! You're right they do have good food and I hope they do open up again for our benefit as well as the owners.

You're also rigtht about the Bank issue. Its crazy!! Remember a few years back when  everyone was saying that we were going to do all of our banking online and we weren't going to need tellers or banks anymore? So much for that theory!!!!

:o :angry:

With ideas like that you should run for an office or something. In Mt. Kisco, the closed several good diners and delis for a bank and other things that the residents dont need at all. It as so has to do with the owners of the property, they are just too concerned about making money and it is just not fair.

Funny thing you should mention the commerce bank...from what i've heard they are everywhere and look EXACTLY the same...and aparently they have the highest robbery rate because the banks look so inviting. I agree, no more banks.

i don't know man, that sounds pretty messed up to me. but to be honest & realistic do you really think a bank would spend the money & inccur all the costs of running a branch if there was no demand for it or possibility of making money. i don't think the goal of the banking industry is to open superfluous branches & spend money on things that don't bring them a return on their investment. and you can't blame the landlords for any of this as they're just doing what they're supposed to do & maximize their investment in the property. they're not a charity & if they're doing what they're supposed to be doing then they should be concerned about making money as is anyone who gets up & goes to work everyday. i understand the emotion involved here & have lost favorite places of mine due to progress & ridiculously rising costs of living but the fault doesn't belong to the landlord or the banks and if the diner was so concerned about a long term stay at that location they should have worked a little harder & smarter negotiating their lease iwth longer terms or options or even better, they could have taken their profits & bought the property theyby ensuring they'd be there as long as they wanted to stay because it would be theirs to do with as they pleased and when they grow old & gray then they could rent it out to a bank or starbucks or whatever is hot at the time & will pay the bills.

I must say as a customer of commerce bank, it is a great bank. They offer a free coin star machine, and they are open almost all of the time.

With ideas like that you should run for an office or something.  In Mt. Kisco, the closed several good diners and delis for a bank and other things that the residents dont need at all.  It as so has to do with the owners of the property, they are just too concerned about making money and it is just not fair.

You are absolutely right, bvfdjc316! It's not about consumers needs, it's all about MONEY-- that big "bottom line"!

Rye's Population: Around 15,000

Firehouses: 2

Elementary Schools: 3

"Mom and Pop" Hardware Stores: 0

Banks: 10

Oh wait, TWO banks are being built in that area from scratch! Right now, I have THREE Chase banks within a 3 minute or less walk from my house.

Look at it this way. Atlest you wont have to worry about how far you have to go when you need an ATM, and think about all the gas you will save too :angry: :)

I'm sorry bad joke. Just be happy that your diner is comeing back. I lost my diner to big bissness also. It just sucks :D

No question about it, the trend in consumer banking has reverted back to a "bricks+mortar" strategy. The more, the bettter and not only is it happening in our area but also in NYC.

There are 4 names which account for most of this new construction: Washington Mutual, Commerce, Wachovia and North Fork.

Here in Pelham, previous downtown studies have shown that we're definitely "over-banked". And WAMU would have had a new branch if it hadn't gotten hit by last December's rockslide. That reminds me, man, I do miss the Pelham Cafe diner....