Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
FD7807

New Tarrytown Firehouses

51 posts in this topic

firecapt,

i dont think the board is excluding members for the vote by fd connections. like u said, there would not be a vote if they did that. the word from the mayor is that the state says trustees hoyt and basher cant vote because they are both members of the fire department and hoyt espeacially being a member of consolidated as well as the vice president of the company. from what i know right now, the vote will be between trustees clarice pallock, tom butler, doug zollo, mary mcgee, and mayor fixell. i guess we will see how it goes.

psyicals and cert training are done every year followed by the fit test. every active member eligible for pension made their osha hours last year and we are 3/4 the way done with them this year (still need to do some ground ladder work and turn out gear)

chief scogna just brought up the nims to us at the last officers meeting. we all have to have it done by 2007 and i believe it is an online test.

also every active driver who is eligible for pension has completed evoc. they did it not too long ago in irvington. every driver did it not because they had to but because the chief driver suggested it.

the last time the by laws were updated completly was before i became a department member. but for the last year or so there has been a by-law commitee who has drafted and updated a new set of department by laws.

have a good trip, talk to you when you get back

just wondering how many members does Tl-78 and E-77 have per company? and how many of these members are active,? how many are interior FF's?

Thanks in advance for any info...

just wondering how many members does Tl-78 and E-77 have per company? and how many of these members are active,? how many are interior FF's?

sorry it took me so long to answer. i cant answer for TL-78 and ill check on an exact number for E-77's. id hate to give you a number thats not accurate. i have a lot going on right now so just give me a few days and ill get back to you.

Im back for the instructors confrence dave

ok, got the information for you for E-77. We have 27 active members, about 17 of them act as interior FF's.

As far as updates, we have seen the newly updated plans for the 1 bay fire house where Consolidated Engine is to be, the plans are set on the corner of medow street and sheldon avenue. it is a modest building but still very nice and 10000x better than what we have now.

Buster,

I hope the conference went well. see you in the forums

ok, got the information for you for E-77. We have 27 active members, about 17 of them act as interior FF's.

As far as updates, we have seen the newly updated plans for the 1 bay fire house where Consolidated Engine is to be, the plans are set on the corner of medow street and sheldon avenue. it is a modest building but still very nice and 10000x better than what we have now.

Buster,

I hope the conference went well. see you in the forums

thanks for the info....wish you all luck with the new buildings and the new rig

so dave you been doing some home work huh dont use that any more

outgrew that long time ago

somtimes i just cant help my self--heres another thought if the village wasent so screwed up they would have never let 78 get away with what they did.. I know its done and we all have to live with it. its a beautiful truck but gees guys all that money?? and blue too!!and buying it knowing it wouldnt fit in any of the stations is wrong just wrong. knowing that 77 needed a home they deserve letting it "slip through the cracks" is no answer. wehre was the common sense where was the watch dogs where were the voters.

ok ok im done for today

its my understanding that tarrytown planned to buy an additional ladder for some time now. when hope hose (E-79) was up for a new aparatus it was discussed that they would be the ones to recieve the tower ladder. i am not sure exactly what happend but they got a pumper instead. when it came time around for washington engine to get a new truck the idea again was brought up because of a need for a ladder in the south end of the village. either way somebody was getting a ladder truck in this village to accompany truck 37.

not sure if you have seen washington engines quarters on kaldinburg street (spelled it wrong) but it is very old and would not accomidate a bigger aparatus. i dont think anybody in the department is mad that 78 got the tower ladder because they train like animals and if a company had to get a ladder for the south end i am glad it was washington.

you dont like the blue? haha. it takes some getting used to but it really is a beautiful truck.

I had posted this in another thread earlier:

In 1998 my company (Engine 78) requested approval from the then Board of Trustees of the Village of Tarrytown to design a pumper to replace our 1980 Hahn. By the year 2000 we had spec'ed out an American LaFrance pumper as a replacement. During that time period it was also brought to the attention of the village that no matter what truck replaced Engine 78, we would need a new firehouse, because it could not structurally handle a larger truck. In the year 2000 an insurance assessment was done on the Village's behalf. The assessment concluded that due to the changing population and infrastructure in the village, it was recommened that town place a 2nd ladder company in the South end of the Village. Around that time Engine 77's quarters were deemed structurally unsafe, and subsequently torn down. The Village officials, without any prompting from any fire department personnel, instructed my company to design a ladder. And here we are 6 years later with a state-of-the-art tower ladder that will last for 30 years, and no home for two fire companies. So all-in-all there were alot of people in the know over the years that there was a new truck coming and that the department needed a house or houses for two fire companies.

somtimes i just cant help my  self--heres another thought if the village wasent  so screwed up  they would have never let 78 get away with  what they did.. I know its done and we all have to live  with it. its a beautiful truck  but gees guys  all that money??  and blue too!!and buying it knowing it wouldnt fit in any of the stations  is wrong  just  wrong. knowing that 77 needed a home they deserve  letting it "slip through the cracks" is no answer. wehre was the common sense  where was the watch dogs where were the voters.

ok ok im done for today

Edited by wmurpht

To further murph's posting any truck we got would have required major league work on our current Kaldenberg place quarters. It was estimated that raising the 2nd floor to accomodate the height of a 21st century truck and to widen the door would net us maybe 30 more years for the building and at the time (In 1999) would have cost about $400,000. Instead they are building a firehouse that is modern, up to code, and sized appropriately which will have a useful life of 75-100 years. As for the size of the truck, the village hired an expert in the field of acquisitions (Jersey CIty FD) who went over our specs with a fine tooth comb in addition went all through out the village eyeballing the streets. He gave the village their moneies worth and gave it his stamp of approval. THe taxpayers are going to get their monies worth out of this truck, we did our homework, and break our horns training on this truck( Formal state training as well as state courses) so the way i see it only good things can happen.

imnot arguing the point that the town needed a second ladder not arguinig the point that 78 trains on the ladder. The point is that the village officials knew and let happen the buying of a 980,000 piece of equipment knowing that it didnt fit in any of the stations. they allowed the purchase knowing that 77 had no station. THEY had no plan for the future!!!!! they werent prepared thats for sure,

the department wouldnt be in the situation they are in if the village officals had plan instead of just stickking their respectives asses in the sand( can i say that) they certinly dont want to piss off the fire department that for sure. that voting block can swing any election. wel mabey they arent as stupid as i think they are mabey is me hmmm

as for the color i really dont care in the 40 yrs i have been in the service i have never seen the color of a piece of apparatus put out a fire. trained firefighters do, the better trainied the better the department

if you have to build 2 stations build em if you build one big one build it. The officials stillhave their heads in their a-- no one is looking ahead.

what happens when 37 is ready thats not long accorcing to some people.

the person reviewing the specs said excatly what you would expect him to say-- you got a piece of apparatus with allthe bells and whiltles and they work just fine. its not his money thats he is spending

do you think that 78 could have waited another yr or 2 to get a new engine---mabey i dont think it would matter . I just think that the village got its self ina situation with out thinking and they have no way out.

me personaly and its just my opinion--- build a 2 bay station on 119 build it for the future. to me a second house on meadow dosent make a lot of sense. I know about response times where the drivers live and allthat. can yoiu take the foot priint of the building on main street add a few feeet to the top so 78 can get in and pt it on the site on 119??

but like i said its only my opinion and you know what they say about opinions -- sorry to ramble but had a long day with the probies--- pump operations allday so im a little tired.

TO give a little history to the non Tarrytown folk reading this. 3 Village administrators ago (roughly 1998) the discussion of what to do with Washington Engine and COnsolidated Engine began. Here it is 2006 and nothing has been solved let alone built. I agree w/ Firecapt32 on the fact that this town sat on it and each successive Trustee Board sat on it also. In fact I sugggested that 2 years ago and just as recent as last october about getting Washington Engine a 2 Bay and still building 77 their one bay firehouse on their property just for flexibility and additional resources. THis village has a fireboat that gets taken out each winter and put in storage, Utility 61 which to date still has no home and 3 other firehouses that are getting older and may need repair all of those reasons beg to get a 2nd bay even if you do not put anything in it right now. At least you have options if 76 80 79 or 37 need a temproary home, when 80,,,,,, or 37 get a new truck and find out that their firehouses are notsuitable for 21st century fire trucks. My suggestion fell on deaf ears but so be it now. It is nice to know that others agree with me at least.

wee ohhh some one aggrees with me!!!! they arent looking into the future and neither is the department.

Second bay is important to the department and they should be looking for one no demanding ==one instead they are all satified because they think only of themselves. sorry dave but i think it true.

when tarrytown f. d. starts to think as a department instead of individual companies thats when there will be progress.

That is kind of taking it far but no one should be drinking booze in a firehouse anyway. I personally think the new firehouses will be a great asset to the community anyway because they are much needed to accomdate the larger rigs. I dont think it is fair for anyone to take personal shots at consolidated engine company.

wee ohhh  some one aggrees  with me!!!! they arent looking into the future and neither is the department.

Second bay is important to the department and they should be looking for one no demanding ==one instead they are all satified because they think only of themselves.  sorry dave  but i think it true.

when tarrytown  f. d. starts to think as a department instead of individual companies  thats  when there will be progress.

its not really that i dissagree with you and fd7807 about looking toward the future as far as the buildings. but lets be honest about it here, do you think the village and the tax payers are going to pay and understand why they are paying for a 2 bay fire house right now for 1 piece of aparatus? in my opinion, the village board meetings will be 6 hours long with people yelling about wasting taxpayer money (not that i think its a waste of money)

the chief of the department has a key role in keeping the 6 companies together as 1 department. last year we did not have that. this year i believe that chief scogna will be the 1 to bring everyone back together.

not really sure what is going on with E-78's old building. i heard something about possibly housing utility 61 there. also its been discussed that fireboat 5's new home will be in the hut where E-77 is being housed right now. not sure about where they would put the hut tho.

firecapt,

1 of your cousins is a member in my company. Edgar Brennen. it looks like you have more ties to the Tarrytown FD than i do lol.

It is the job of a good politician to sell the public on the benefit of our firehouse situation. Problem is that all that is done is tallking. Ever notice that we still need 2 firehouses, a new village hall, a new police station and all that was actually completed is dedicating a new greenspace park land ? I know that my idea has a snowballs chance in hell of actually coming to pass but at least I can say I got my ideas out there before anything was final. ANd the time that is spent talking at village meetings is supposed to be controlled by the mayor and trustees. Public hearings are supposed to be opened and closed not contantly opened and reopened. But that has been an ongoing problem with this situation for a longtime. THat said Dave go get some shovels because by the time you and I see these firehouses we will be old and gray

Dave im a lot closer to the department then you might think relative or no not.

77 should not have been put in the predicitment that they are in. 78 the same way. no planning no looking ahead from the board or the wardens.

the chief should be putting things in order, trouble is-- dont take it personal-- chief but your on your way out the day you come in.

make the chief position 2 yr terms. make the chief a department wide election. make the chief have some real training not just essentials.

establish creditable training -- not just riding around-- im sure there are some real training going on. i dont want to offend any one or piss any more people off then necessary. Tarrytown has some fine firefighters real gong ho worth their weight in salt firefighters. then there are the others no more has to be said.

build your fire houses one, two its too late for all the bullshit now but think of the citizens that you are sworn to protect.

have a plane be proactive its not all parades and conventions.

im an e mail away if not closer. in fact i will probely be closer to 78 then you are to 77......

whats the situation with the hut TL-78 is in right now? is there a limit to how long hitachi is going to let the fire department use that land? is there heat in that building yet for the winter?

if i knew anything about building a firehouse i would have started building 3 years ago. the fact of the matter is that you are right. with all the construction the village is planning, it could be some time before we are in a building.

in a little more than a year, the lease for consolidateds meeting trailor will be up and it will come down the the village making the decision to lease another trailor or finally build. last night i saw the finalized plans for the firehouse. right now we are waiting on the administrator and the chief to sign them and building could start as soon as june hopefully.

i am fed up with the whole situation right now

your not the only one dave I'm sure the village wil build you exactaly what you want!!! not necessarly what is needed. You guys in 77 have to do some public education for you citizens in that area--damage control. blame the village officials the are the utlimite responsible party.

if you need anything let me know

maybe they might get a good deal on the NFPA 1582 physicals with the new firehouse!!!!!!!!