Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JBE

Queens 3rd Alarm Box 1746

5 posts in this topic

I just got back from this job, and boy it is cold out there. I got in there just after the 2nd was transmitted and about 5 minutes before the 3rd got dumped.

Here's the rundown:

Engines: 225,331,285,266/BFU-7,236,293,308,294,324/Sat-4,283,290,303,302,332.

E-325 was in there, I presume they were in there as relief, but not sure who they were relocated to.

Ladders: 142,173,107,143,103,120,175(FAST),135.

Chiefs: BC 39,51,58(Comm Coord),44(Safety Coord),50(Staging),46,48. Div. 13,Safety Bn, Rescue Bn, Car 4G DAC Ramos. Car 1D Comm. Liason(Dep. Dir. Comm Higgins-MY BOSS). Battalion 43(Air Recon)

Special Units: R-4 Sq-252(Normally a 270 Box, not sure where 270 was.) RAC-2,TAC-2, Mask Service 1.

West Hamilton Beach Volunteers operated with their BFU.

Buffs special called: NUMEROUS!!!

According to the chiefs on scene, it was about 1/3 of a mile by 150 yards worth or brush burning. I'm not sure how many acres that is. But it was cooking pretty good. I actually saw one of those "fire tornados" and my jaw dropped. they divided the fire into 3 sectors. First area was up at 159 Avenue and 78 Street. The second was further down at 161 Avenue. The third was over on 80 Street and 162 Avenue. TL-120 had their bucket up and operating. E-236 operated with their deck gun and BFU-7 was running all over the place.

Photos to follow a little later. I got some good video of it as well.

Oh and BTW, that's not Jamaica. It's Howard Beach.

Edited by JBE

post-839-1142796321.jpg

post-839-1142796332.jpg

post-839-1142796342.jpg

credit: WABC TV New York

Three alarm Queens brush fire

Flames came dangerously close to homes

By Anthony Johnson

(Howard Beach-WABC, March 19, 2006) -

Firefighters braved the elements, freezing cold and fast moving flames, battling an overnight brushfire in Queens.

Eyewitness News reporter Anthony Johnson joins us from Howard Beach with the story.

When there is a fire weather watch, the brush so brittle it breaks up in your hand, this is exactly what happens. About a third of a mile of dry brush burnt overnight.

Early this morning, the flames were seen for miles from this brush fire.

Firefighters worked to bring the three alarm blaze under control after the fire call came around 1:30 a.m. This fire was dangerously close to homes right across the road here on 78th Street.

Billy Rocko, a Howard Beach resident said, "It was coming right up to the houses. I was actually parked right in front of the fire. I felt the heat coming right for my car. It was just red all the way down here."

The flames were heading toward Jamaica Bay. Firefighters broke up into three units to go ahead and battle this blaze. It was brought under control about 3:00 a.m. this morning.

Firefighters were called back to the scene a few hours after the initial incident to put out a couple of still smoldering spots.

No houses were damaged and nobody was hurt battling this blaze.

I'll tell you that I could see it slear as day from the roof In Rockaway right across Jamaica Bay. It was Big!

what did the Rescue and Squad do? Stand by in case of extention to structures?

They pretty much stood by. One of my buddies from 270 was working in 252 and was the first guy I ran into. Especially when I hear, "BUUUUUUUUUUUFFFF!!!!" in the backgrond.

Here's my pictures..

Fire1.jpg

Fire2.jpg

Fire3.jpg

Fire4.jpg

Fire5.jpg

Fire7.jpg

BFU7.jpg

Edited by JBE