Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Geppetto

Firefighter Applicants

5 posts in this topic

I am not sure if this belongs here, but I'm sure they'll move it if necessary. I've read with great interest (in several other threads) about the various qualifications for Officers and drivers. But how do departments compare in who they originally take in? I have been wondering, especially with all this concern over NIMS and standardization about who, we as a service have been taking in. What are the basic requirements for the fire service? High School education? The service has been trying to professionalize itself and as such treat many of it's programs as college level. Background check? Is a simple PD check enough or are we fingerprinting everyone? Is the guy next to you a felon? Do you have to frisk everyone when they leave the building? Medical(s)? Do they conform to NFPA 1001 or is it a simple "turn your head and cough and your off? With manpower at a premium these days, many departments have been reduced to taking anybody who's breathing and interested. Hopefully, this thread won't turn into a career vs volunteer issue. Let's try to keep it as more of just a simple survey to determine where the norm is.

You raies an excellent point. I will just say we (volunteers) should welcome more stringent background checks. Remember, most of us volunteer in our own communities so would you want someone less desireable coming into your home when you are not there or handling your son/daughter in an ambulance. The arson conviction record check is good but I feel an all out background check is warranted.

Andy Mancusi

Chief

Hawthorne FD

You might as well put an "All Welcome" sign outside most of the volly organizations in Westchester. I've always felt strongly about having a very selective process as to who you do and do not let in an agency. IMO, you should having background checks, interviews w/the administration, and should hold an agency decided minimum level of certification. Just an FYI - the other day i was transporting to Hudson Valley ER and we pulled in just as another agency pulled in. Aside from the fact that they were going Code 1 w/ a post-op abdominal pain - they had about 5 14 year olds hop out the back who didnt know how to get the stretcher out. It's great that kids and adults want to volunteer their time but I think the larger issue here is that an agnecy should look to set the bar at rendering a high level of care and maintaing that standard. Thats not to say we shouldnt accept kids or adults who have no prior fire/ems background. But i would argue that the agency should put them through a CFR/EMT/FF1&FF2/etc before they starded to activly ride jobs in.

Edited by 66Alpha1

years ago you had to have a clean record,high school education,drivers license, pass a written exam,pass a psych exam, as times have changed most of the above mentioned are no longer a requirement! (some municipalitys still have strict hiring standards) which only benefits the job

Here is how we do it and I believe most other career FD's in CT are close to the same process:

The applicants must first have a valid CPAT card, then they are allowed to sit for the written exam. After they receive their rankings, the top (insert number here) are interviewed by the fire commission and FD top brass. After the interview process a conditional offer of emploment is given and the applicant goes through his/her medical screenings. At some point a background check is run. After the medical the new appointee, enters the fire academy.