Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

New Castle may quit PMedic services group

67 posts in this topic

I can totally see Ms. Wells point of running their own Medic.  Even if it does cost more money, I am sure the cost to each individual homeowner would be minimal.  Yes, the Mt. Pleasant system works well for the most part, but what happens when Medic 2 is at the jail, and Medic 1 gets called to Ruth Taylor or the Homeless Shelter (both County facilities).  If a tax paying resident goes into cardiac arrest, I don't think their family members will be very happy to hear that the Medics are unavailable.  Yes, I agree that it is, at times, taking longer to get a "vollie" ambulance out.  But I also think that it is a disgrace that a "vollie" corps in the Town of Mt. Pleasant is billing patients (as well as receiving tax dollars) - and the worst part of it is that after the patient submits their insurance info, this VAC re-bills the patient for the small amount that insurance didn't cover!  I have always said, and many peole have disagreed with me, that the Town of Mt. Pleasant should have looked into running their own Medic system.  Our Town Supervisor just keeps looking for the easy way out and signing Transcare's contract every year without looking at other options.  In addition, I always thought that other "bids" were required before agreeing to a contract?

I may be misinformed on the contract issue but I believe there are certain circumstances under which a Town Board does not need to request proposals and I think this may be one of them. Any Town clerk should be able to clarify that point.

I may be misinformed on the contract issue but I believe there are certain circumstances under which a Town Board does not need to request proposals and I think this may be one of them.  Any Town clerk should be able to clarify that point.

I am not 100% sure, but I know as a Fire Commissioner, you need (3) prices for anything over a specific amount of money - and I think when you are talking about a couple of hundred thousand dollars, you should as a Town Official, explore other options as well as listen to the opinions of the people involved.

I am not 100% sure, but I know as a Fire Commissioner, you need (3) prices for anything over a specific amount of money - and I think when you are talking about a couple of hundred thousand dollars, you should as a Town Official, explore other options as well as listen to the opinions of the people involved.

I agree with you 100%. Whether they legally need to be obtained or not, due diligence should be done by all Town Boards to make sure they are getting the best service for a reasonable price.

I agree with cya69, I mean I think VACs are great, especially for people looking to get started within the EMS field or emergency services field, it gives them some training, as well as a free class to get your EMT cert. But getting back to agreeing with cya69, the days of the VAC are numbered, lets face it, time is of the essence esp dealing with stroke and hert attack victims. I am for any proposition that wants to have MORE Trained Career Personnel STANDING BY. It is the immediate response that we need. I know VACs do play a vital roll. But isnt it kind of scary that some towns WHO CAN AFFORD IT would rather rely on the VAC then have the personnel ready to go. Listen again this could be ugly BUT Response times of VACs are down. I am sure most of the time the Bus does get out quickly and properly manned, but I can think of, off the top of my head a few timeS where I personally witnessed the bus taking an excess of 18 minutes to get there, It desont matter that 99% of the time the VAC gets out its that 1% that will kill you, or a tax payer.

Edited by JustSomeGuy

Unfortunately, this situation seems to be based on the fact that Dick Wells, Janet Wells' husband, is a paramedic who was not hired by WEMS in the past.  This seems to be a big sticking point for her, as she has had a bee in her bonnet since then.  Facts are facts, and Janet is pressing this for personal reasons.

If its so cost effective why did WEMS give a proposal to yorktown for 300,000 and thats for their own car. Why is this group of 8 towns sharing 3 flycars? Why is it that Mt Pleasant and for that fact the other 2/3 of the county not using this method of providing service? And why is it that its so bad to ask for response times that are the same with providers who have been in the ALS 911 system more than you guys. If I was the supervisor of pound ridge or north castle i would have gotten rid of WEMs after the first year. The performance standard of an average of 12 mins 80% of the time system wide fails for them big time if it was a standard of care for each ambulance district (10). And why have they breached there contract by saying they would bill to offset costs to these towns for six years and now when its discussed as one of their flaws they are doing it? maybe these past few years has paid off some debt? They are lucky that these town supervisors are oblivious to what their contract says and what their options are. If they would listen to Linda Cooper they would see. And it isn't very professional of you to be using rumors as opposed to facts to show your alliance. Perhaps you are one of the left overs who came in with the old guys? Lets see they have gone thru how many directors? How would you like it if people said that your current director was fired from transcare? see it doesn't sound professional even if it is true. I know DIck Wells to be a professional in appearance, behavior, as well as a medic. And what is your role at WEMS? You don't sound like material to move up the ladder. Check what the other towns provide in ALS response times by contract and you guys fail big time. there is nothing good to say about the service. AND IF ONE CAR COSTS 300,000 WHY IS THREE CARS COSTING 1.5+ MILLION?????? BIG OVERHEAD?

Edited by ziggy

Which VACs other then Chappaqua cover New Castle?

MOUNT PLEASANT AND OSSINING COVER.

In my rather humble opinion I think its best for New Castle to stay within the WEMS Paramedic consortium. What seems to be the case, and granted I don’t know New Castle politics, is you have politicians or a politician putting a price tag on life and lifesaving medical intervention – anyone who does that doesn’t deserve to hold office. Its bad enough our Paramedics are getting paid a measly $17 dollars (despite their extensive medical background), which is barely enough to sustain a family of any size – but once again we have government trying to contract to the lowest bidder. I work in Putnam County which has a very similar Paramedic system – 4 Medics stationed, with fly cars, at key points throughout the County. The benefit of this system is the fact that it is flexible. As Medics go in and out of service, the others stationed around the County can pick up jobs as needed. Likewise, its interesting to see that the 8 minute response time is particular highlighted as a driving force behind the need to switch. In NYC a Paramedic unit is guaranteed within 6 minutes and a BLS unit within 1-2, I would be interested to see the average response time of New Castle’s BLS unit on a Tuesday, Wednesday, or Thursday morning. Likewise, an independent medic within New Castle isn’t going to solve anything. If you have a medic stationed at the Volly house, sure the ambulance gets out but what about a crew? If you have a medic stationed in a fly car sure he’ll be on scene within 5 minutes but, again, he can only do so much without a transporting unit. If New Castle wants to properly tackle EMS in their town, they are going to be looking at least 1 medic on 24/7 along with 2 EMTs 24/7.

its better to have a medic on scene in five mins who can handle everything than a police officer waiting for EMS. New castle claims they are supplying EMS when a police car is on scene.

People keep talking about CVAC not being able to get a crew together.  I started volunteering with CVAC almost three years ago and I can tell you that virtually every shift has, at the very least, a driver and an EMT.  In those three years, I think there have been maybe three 12-hour shifts that didn't have a full scheduled crew.  And for those, all members were asked to keep their pagers on and respond, if possible.  We very, very, very rarely have to request mutual aid because we can't get a crew.  If you want to say that we don't respond to calls, you might want to make sure that you know what you're talking about.

I believe what is being said is how long it takes. I believe members respond from home?

Somehow, I didn't realize that this post went to another page. It doesn't affect me or not with what New Castle is doing. It looks like they settled for another year which gives them that much time to look for an alternate service. At least, that is what I got out of the article.

Now, GAW6, it took me a minute then I put it together. You know my feelings on ALS and BLS and VOLLIES and PAID. Since I became a Medic, I was for ALS. That only makes sense. I did the Vollie thing like I stated in a past post and That is how I got started. Then I didn't see the point for it.

When Metro/Transcare first started in Mt Pleasant, I was still a Medic and Not a Cop. I was the first Medic to do an ALS call in the Town when the fly car was put in place. For that matter, I was also the First Medic to do an ALS call when Metro/Trans Care covered Northern West. Guess I was at the right place at the right time. I agreed from the start when Mt Pleasant was talking about moving to a paid MEDIC that they should have gone out on their own. Just like Eastchester, Scarsdale, PortChester, MEMS, ETC...(I can't remember them all).

If Mt Pleasant Medic 2 is on a call on the ground to WMC, Medic 1 does cover some of their calls. It does not happen all the time, but it happens. Do I agree with it, HELL NO. I think that if the Tax Payers of Mt Pleasant are paying for a service, they should get it. That is the problem with the deal they made with Metro/Transcare. Now if Medic 1 goes to Ruth Taylor, we have to call a Mutual Aid Medic from GPD, who is usually all tied up, Ossining, or maybe even WEMS. That also means that a Volunteer VAC gets dispatched to Ruth Taylor. I don't know how many times I have heard that get dispatched to another Mutual Aid because they can't get out. It is really pathetic that the Town of Mt Pleasnant can't get an ambulance out sometimes. That is the problem with Vollies. Maybe it is only durning the day and I still give credit to all of you that get up in the middle of the night for FREE.

I never knocked Chapp VAC and their ability to get out. That is pretty inpressive if what that person said was true about the Crews. I didn't know that. What are they doing right and how can other VAC's copy their system.

Now, when I get to aided first usually as a PO, my hands are tied. That does not mean that I can't do anything, it just means my resources aren't there until the MEDIC gets there. When the MEDIC gets there, it is like having double the Care until the AMB gets there because even though my role is as a PO, I help the MEDIC with the IV, EKG, GLUCOMETER, whatever it takes. That way, when the AMB gets there you can load and go.

This is not a MT PLEASANT post and I may be wrong with some of my points. I guess my point is, Each town should have their own FLY CAR if they Can afford it.

I believe what is being said is how long it takes.  I believe members respond from home?

Now, the issue has moved on to response times. But, earlier, various people (Skooter92, ONEEYEDMIC, etc.) were talking about CVAC not being able to muster a crew and I wanted to correct them.

About response times . . .

This is something that I'm not proud of. Most members respond from home. A few stay at the base, but it's rare that a whole crew will be there. (Sigh.) As far as how long our average response time is, that's hard for me to say. I don't remember the call statistics and I've been away at college recently, so DON'T QUOTE ME ON WHAT I'M ABOUT TO SAY. I would guess that the arrival time from dispatch to the ambulance arriving is about 12 minutes. It could be more; it could be less. But that's my ballpark estimate.

Now, the issue has moved on to response times. But, earlier, various people (Skooter92, ONEEYEDMIC, etc.) were talking about CVAC not being able to muster a crew and I wanted to correct them.

I believe that I was talking about all VAC's in general about who can get a crew out. I don't know that much about CVAC to have made that statement. I just put them all into the same mix. Sorry about that.

I don't think that members should show up to a scene in their own Veh. That is just me. If they can get to the scene, they can get to the VAC. Unless of course it would be totally out of the way to make to the VAC. But, even if they got to the scene in their car, do they have equipment to take care of the PT(S)?

When I was a Vollie and I was on duty, I would hang out at the building. If I needed to run errands, it would be only to where I know that I could get to the building fast. I also lived fairly close to the building so that wasn't an issue either. I guess I was younger and really wanted to get the scene as fast as I could. Anyone that has hung out in a building and the tones go off know that it seems like an Eternity for the other members to get there.

Like I posted before, there is/was a VAC in this County, a wealthy community where some of the members needed to be picked up at their houses if they were on duty. That drove me crazy, especially when you don't know the area that well.

So if the issue is response time, how long do you think it takes leaving NWHMC to Greely Ave and Rt 120 in rush hour traffic? I would say longer than 8 minutes for the Medic. That is given if the Medic is sitting in the truck. Now if the Fly car was stationed at the CVAC or even Near the PD, it would take about 4 min tops. It all depends on if the Medic was on a call.

I think it makes more sense for The Town of New Castle to go out on their own. The back breaker will be when some high profiled resident needs the Medic/Amb. These people are a pain in the a**. Believe me. They think they you should be at their beck and call.

I don't know response times, but I am going to look into how many times an Amb was dispatched in my Town and how Many times it went to Mutual Aid because a crew couldn't get out. We now have a function in the PD blotters that states DISP/UNAVAILABLE. If an AMB is out of service though, that is a different story. I will only look from 01/06 just to see. I am now curious.

The residents pay close to 300,000 to share 3 flycars with 10 ambulance districts for over 1 1/2 million dollars....its still insane. Politicians don't want to lose votes from the vollies. They were all for it and one of them even went to DES to pick up an application for their own. When the vollies complained they looked at votes and changed their mind. they went from all in favor to changing their minds to make 40 or so potential voters happy. They don't care about anything unless it means votes for them.

I think all your points are valid and I can tell you one thing. Although I think that Volunteers do a great service, it is getting to the point where this County is going to have to go FULL PAID SERVICE. I am not picking on Vollies because that is where I started. I soon learned that getting paid for being up at 3a was better than not. Then I saw the at the time the leve of my training. EMT-P was higher than offered where I lived. I didn't understand that and whenever I did a "VOLUNTEER" call, I would get annoyed. So I stopped.

So, we moved into the 21st Century and we now have 1 dedicated Fly car that is in the Town. From 7a-7p, we have Two ALS TRUCKS. Sometimes that other medic is in an ambulance. Since switching to this system when it started, and knowing the area, it was easy for me to get to calls. Response times were good from anywhere in Town which is approximately 40 something square miles.

I have worked all over the County and in one system, I would have to drive the AMBULANCE TO GO PICK UP MEMBERS AT THEIR HOUSES. Talk about B/S. Those of you that have been around may know who I am talking about.

In my Town now, we have entered the point where it takes forever to get an ambulance. One can't get out so you Mutual Aid that other can't get so you Mutual Aid finally you get one. That is at least 8 minutes before the last AMB gets dispatche. Then they have to respond to the building and you know the rest. At least one of the VAC's went to a PAID EMT in the morn when there is nobody on the schedule for the VAC. Maybe that is what needs to be done. There is no reason that ANYONE should have to wait more than 10 minutes for an AMBULANCE. That is given that the MEDIC is already on scene giving TX. I can't tell you how many time that I have asked for an ETA for the VAC. The aided and their there family members just look at me with this puzzled look. Is that Fair? NO.

I am on the other side now in a PD role and it has opened my EYE to a whole new situation. I GUESS I AM just frustrated.

So, If New Castle is willing to spend the extra money and have their own medic, so be it. I know that will not get the ambulance out any faster, but it will get TX to the aided quicker in most cases.

First New Castle can get an ambulance out but they respond from home so yes it takes at least ten mins. Now add to this 3 flycars over 8 towns....whats the point....and if you bill insurance like most of the vollie vacs they could probbly get it for less on their own than what they pay to share. Why does it cost 1.5 million for three cars??? What kind of salaries do the medics get? And if they bad mouth all the other not so fine medics??? well there new director was fired from Transcare. Is that VAC still picking up members?

hmmmmm.  Its going to be intersting to see what happens with this.

the town can vote to have the best service which will also be the cheaper one or they can worry about votes from vollies. health and safety is not an issue to them. and they believe the B/S that their PD count as part of the EMS response.

I don’t think anyone accused CVAC directly of not responding to calls – but, you have to face the facts, in a volunteer system response time and just getting a unit out are issues that have to be critically analyzed. Per Cya69’s comments – I think your misunderstanding what I stated. While Paramedics have extensive medical background and skill sets they cannot, and never should be, expected to go at it alone. Trying to maintain a patent airway, alone, can become a 2 person job. Not to mention, CPR and rescue breathing often take up one set of hands. On your average ALS call a Paramedic can easily hold his own – but, again, it takes additional hands to package, load and offload the patient. The more interesting ALS jobs are where a second set of ALS or BLS hands can make all the difference.

I don’t think anyone accused CVAC directly of not responding to calls – but, you have to face the facts, in a volunteer system response time and just getting a unit out are issues that have to be critically analyzed. Per Cya69’s comments – I think your misunderstanding what I stated. While Paramedics have extensive medical background and skill sets they cannot, and never should be, expected to go at it alone. Trying to maintain a patent airway, alone, can become a 2 person job. Not to mention, CPR and rescue breathing often take up one set of hands. On your average ALS call a Paramedic can easily hold his own – but, again, it takes additional hands to package, load and offload the patient. The more interesting ALS jobs are where a second set of ALS or BLS hands can make all the difference.

I completely understand what you're saying. I'm not a medic, but I am studying to be an EMT-I and I've got a decent understanding of the tasks a medic has to deal with. On major calls, a cardiac arrest for example, there's just too much to do for one medic to handle. You need a lot of extra hands, preferably ALS ones. I'm going to school in North Carolina now and the city I'm in has a much better way of doing EMS. For significant medical calls, an ambulance with either 2 medics or a medic and an EMT-I gets dispatched, plus a first responder truck from the FD with 2 more EMT-Is. That way you've got four people there trained in ALS. Not bad, huh?

I know in the past our town supervisor had little to know clue about ALS or what is really was.  Now I know the new supervisor consults with our EMS Captain from time to time to understand what it is.  I think there should be a standard of training when you become a supervisor. Maybe ICS, just to understand what everyone else does. But thats a different topic for a different time.

I do work for WEMS also, and I have been on the ALS bus going mutal because all 3 medics were out. I think it will be a really bad idea if Chappaqua pulls out of the program.  But maybe Medic 1 should be broken up, it is a large area to cover with sometimes very active. Maybe Mt Kisco, Chappaqua, and parts of Bedford as one car and Armonk, Banksville and Bedford village with parts of Bedford as the other car.  But its just an idea....

well if they get there own there will be less to cover. ya got to admit its a large area for three medics. and why is it affordable for the other towns to do like yorktown???

Now, the issue has moved on to response times.  But, earlier, various people (Skooter92, ONEEYEDMIC, etc.) were talking about CVAC not being able to muster a crew and I wanted to correct them.

About response times . . .

This is something that I'm not proud of.  Most members respond from home.  A few stay at the base, but it's rare that a whole crew will be there.  (Sigh.)  As far as how long our average response time is, that's hard for me to say.  I don't remember the call statistics and I've been away at college recently, so DON'T QUOTE ME ON WHAT I'M ABOUT TO SAY.  I would guess that the arrival time from dispatch to the ambulance arriving is about 12 minutes.  It could be more; it could be less.  But that's my ballpark estimate.

I think CVAC's response times were listed closer to the 20 minute mark, which is not out of line with any of the other VAC's in the area, it's probably the average. I know some mention CVAC specifically but it is fact a system wide problem not any one agency which is why dedicated ALS services are so important. New Castle Town Board member Barbara Gerrard was quoted in the article about how much CVAC loves their current system and are happy with it - I think the real issure is they have become friendly and comfortable with the medics, which is great, but they are confusing liking a person with quality patient care which are two very different issues. Ms. Wells' intentions do not seem to be directed at CVAC as she has continuously said there will be no change in the current BLS system. I think someone should look at CVAC's membership and look at the one member who has a vested, possibly financial, interest in making sure New Castle remains with WEMS. It seems to me the Town Board has lost focus on their responsibilities to their constituants and are trying to make one small group of individuals happy, which I don't think CVAC would be unhappy with dedicated ALS, they simply aren't looking at the big picture. Response times continue to become the topic of discussion because response times are critical to good patient care.

20 minutes not out of line? I beg to differ with that. If you are a NYS Certfied Ambulance, which at this point EVERYONE HAS TO BE - NYS protocols state that the bus must be on the road 10 minutes from time of page out. As a member of PVAC, I know there have been times when response has been slow, but it doesn't happen very often. We have set night crews, so no calls at night go over the 10 minute mark.

If you are talking 20 minutes from page out until arrival on scene, that is a different story. There are some areas in everyone's district, I am sure, that are away from the heart of the Town.

20 minutes not out of line?  I beg to differ with that.  If you are a NYS Certfied Ambulance, which at this point EVERYONE HAS TO BE - NYS protocols state that the bus must be on the road 10 minutes from time of page out.  As a member of PVAC, I know there have been times when response has been slow, but it doesn't happen very often.  We have set night crews, so no calls at night go over the 10 minute mark. 

If you are talking 20 minutes from page out until arrival on scene, that is a different story.  There are some areas in everyone's district, I am sure, that are away from the heart of the Town.

I apologize for not being more clear. I was referring to the dispatch to on scene time and yes, some VAC's will be quicker than other's, but in my personal experience I am never "shocked" to wait 20 minutes for an on scene ambulance.

I am a volunteer not with CVAC but with Armonk. Yes the Manison. But even we have our bad days all volunteer agencies get them from now and then. But we back each other up when it comes down to it. We are all pround of being Volunteers and enjoy it for the most part. There is no reason to bash each other saying that one can't get out the door. It happens in cycles to all of us. We have other lives outside the VAC of VFD. Granted we never want to call another for help and we feel bad when we do. But thats what its all about is just helping each other. This has straid far off the intial comment and article. Yes some new politicians just got into office and want to help cut cost. You can't blame them, look at the dam gas prices now. Its just a hair away from 3 bucks a gallon. What was the price last year? not that I can tell you. Plus cost of living is going through the roof.

I am just about finish with college (May 13th) and I can't move out to an appartment. I will have to leave at home because there is no more middle class or a very small middle class left in westchester county. They are just trying to help cut the cost. Not votes they are already in office and will be for the next year or two, depending on the there term. Yes 1.5 Million is a lot for 3 medics 24/7 but just look at what is cost for 3 trucks runing 24/7 in gas alone... alot.

Everyone feels they should be making more then they get. Well if we keep doing that the inflation will just be out of control. I think we need to start to question some things we taxing. Just to slow down the inflation a little. Maybe we can live were we work for once.

I know I have gone completly off topic and I do appoligize for it but this is a dead issue and its out of all of our hands. The decision has been made and accepts by all the parties involved.

I usually just like to read, and I don't care much for posting - but just out of curiosity... I thought some of the cardinal sins on this board were "negative comments," "bashing agencies," and "paid vs vollie arguments," etc... How has this thread gone on for so long?

I still think that a 20 min response time of call to time on scene is CRAZY. It annoys me to know end.

What would happen if there was a 20 min response time to a House Fire? I would think that the house would burn down.

Who am I kidding, there wouldn't be a 20 min response time to a fire because everyone would come out of the woodwork.

My point is, I don't think that everyone takes EMS as serious as they should.

As long as politician's are involved there is no easy solution. Consider this, you sign a contract and are paid to provide a service. For what ever reason you fail to live up to the contract. ( in this case unable to provide a BLS ambulance 24/7/365 in a reasonable amout of time) As a politician what do you do? Remember were dealing with voters (smoke and mirrors) denial works, throw more money out the window. Praise the vac's for the dedicated service.

I think the purpose of fly cars was to provide ALS treatment, not supplement or ride along BLS because no EMT is available.

AS a CEO how would you handle this ? Fire everybody unable to provide the service and hire someone who can ! We are only dealing with lives here. I am happy to see the consortium is still working maybe they can take it a step further and actually provide a fully equipped ambulance man power included 24/7/365 in a resonable amout of time. Say under 7 minutes from time of dispatch anywhere, anytime.

NurseMedic, to answer your question, since I started this thread I also have read every post and am surprised to see it still going.

Having said that, this topic is clearly one that struck a chord with many Bravo members including some who are not frequent posters. Yes, there have been some criticism of politicians and agencies by name.

BUT, I think the responses to those posts have been measured so far and have not degenerated into all out bashing, name -calling and insults. A lot of good material and info has been brought up and I personally have learned from it.

I will close the thread if things get crazy. If not, hey, there's no rule as to how long it can go.... ;)

I usually just like to read, and I don't care much for posting - but just out of curiosity... I thought some of the cardinal sins on this board were "negative comments," "bashing agencies," and "paid vs vollie arguments," etc...  How has this thread gone on for so long?

I agree with hoss, this has been a very informational exchange of information and I don't think questioning response times from the volunteers is bashing them. Most of the information in here is factual and it is a discussion long overdo. Just because you don't like or agree with something someone said doesn't mean it is negative. The only real "bashing" came from skooter when they attacked Ms. Well's on an unfounded accusation.

I think CVAC's response times were listed closer to the 20 minute mark, which is not out of line with any of the other VAC's in the area, it's probably the average.  I know some mention CVAC specifically but it is fact a system wide problem not any one agency which is why dedicated ALS services are so important.  New Castle Town Board member Barbara Gerrard was quoted in the article about how much CVAC loves their current system and are happy with it - I think the real issure is they have become friendly and comfortable with the medics, which is great, but they are confusing liking a person with quality patient care which are two very different issues.  Ms. Wells' intentions do not seem to be directed at CVAC as she has continuously said there will be no change in the current BLS system.  I think someone should look at CVAC's membership and look at the one member who has a vested, possibly financial, interest in making sure New Castle remains with WEMS.  It seems to me the Town Board has lost focus on their responsibilities to their constituants and are trying to make one small group of individuals happy, which I don't think CVAC would be unhappy with dedicated ALS, they simply aren't looking at the big picture.  Response times continue to become the topic of discussion because response times are critical to good patient care.

Where are you getting this information, cya69? I don't think our average response time is quite that long. I'm not accusing you of making up these numbers because my recollection could definitely be off; I'm just wondering where you're getting this.

Hoss, I couldn't have said it any better. I posted right after Nursemedic and had something to say about that. I just kept my mouth shut. I think that these posts are needed and informative to those of us around the County.

The bottom line is POLITICS. That is it. If the members any VAC went and told a MAYOR, TOWN SUPERVISOR, ETC... that they would not be backed if they went agains their wishes for a different system do you think that the Heads of City's, Town's, Villages, would still try and do it? Hell NO.

Do the Residents of New Castle even know that they get a PARAMEDIC? I don't know that if in MT PLEASANT they even know that. The system has been in place for at least 5 years. Since I can't afford a house in the Town I work in, I don't know if that is on a TAX BILL.

I have been out of the loop for some time but I heard that WPHMC, PHELPS, NWHMC and LAWRENCE Hosp are run by the same CORPORATION or something. I also heard that a member of CVAC is a High up in one of these hospitals and may be in strong opposition of New Castle going out on their own EMS wise. This is all speculation though. I could see those politics now.

Town Supervisor wants new system, Hosp Rep tells Vac members not to reelect Supervisor if Town goes out on own. So, if you are for WEMS staying in New Castle, you can run for Supervisor. LOL

Where are you getting this information, cya69?  I don't think our average response time is quite that long.  I'm not accusing you of making up these numbers because my recollection could definitely be off; I'm just wondering where you're getting this.

A New Castle board member had requested response time reports from CVAC which showed your captain's car? fly car? I'm not sure what it's referred to had a great response of (I believe) under 5 minutes but for the ambualnce to get on scene (I believe) was approaching 20 minutes. But the BLS flycar should say it all for a dedicated New Castle paramedic. If it has great response times one could only assume the ALS flycar would come in with similar response times.

A New Castle board member had requested response time reports from CVAC which showed your captain's car? fly car? I'm not sure what it's referred to had a great response of (I believe) under 5 minutes but for the ambualnce to get on scene (I believe) was approaching 20 minutes.  But the BLS flycar should say it all for a dedicated New Castle paramedic.  If it has great response times one could only assume the ALS flycar would come in with similar response times.

Good to know. That's our fly car that you're referring to. Our captain doesn't get a CVAC vehicle. I'm glad to see that you brought some concrete data with you, since, as we've seen, my impression was a little off. Thanks.