Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

New Castle may quit PMedic services group

67 posts in this topic

A better sharing of information with a stern filtering of nonsense would limit the useless debates that arise over and over again.  Most of these issues are a matter of policy, procedure and politics, none of which will be changed or decided upon through these boards. These debates only cause resentment and go against the very intentions of this website.

I really could care less what people post, just figured I'd throw in some food for thought. I'll go back to lurking in the shadows now. As you were...

Does a BLS fly car stop the Clock? Not much good if you can't TXP the Patient. Same as if a Medic is there first.

There has been times when there has been a MUTUAL AID Medic in an AMB(with and EMT partner), show up at scene, want to TXP to the ER and has been denied so the VOLLIES could get there and TXP. I think that is neglect, but numbers are numbers.

Does a BLS fly car stop the Clock? Not much good if you can't TXP the Patient. Same as if a Medic is there first.

There has been times when there has been a MUTUAL AID Medic in an AMB(with and EMT partner), show up at scene, want to TXP to the ER and has been denied so the VOLLIES could get there and TXP. I think that is neglect, but numbers are numbers.

I do not believe a BLS fly car stops the clock but that's not my point. The New Castle Town Board, with the exception of the Supervisor, WEMS and certain members of CVAC do not seem to find response time a critical issue for patient care. Westchester is a very politically charged county and the volunteer's save tax payer's an enormous amount of money. The volunteer system as we know it will not be changing anytime soon therefore the focus should be on what we can change. Although a medic cannot transport a patient with a flycar they can render alot of treatment and have the patient ready for transport by the time the ambulance arrives. As a medic I find this just a frustrating as most everone else posting on this subject do but the Town Board of New Castle is also being neglectful when they know their current system is inadequate, have the means and information to change it and are standing in a corner doing nothing.

Do the Residents of New Castle even know that they get a PARAMEDIC? I don't know that if in MT PLEASANT they even know that. The system has been in place for at least 5 years. Since I can't afford a house in the Town I work in, I don't know if that is on a TAX BILL.

There is a special tax listed on the my tax bill ( Mt. Pleasant resident) which is actually an extension of the fire tax I pay. I believe I pay 30.00 per year for ALS service. Not a bad price especially being we have very good medics in our town.

Andy Mancusi

Chief

Hawthorne FD

The Best MEDICS around. LOL. I am InPartial.

I know how frustrating it is also being a MEDIC. I hated waiting around, but at least the level of care is there. Although, not bring up war stories, As a PO, I was on an SVT that was quickly going to VTACH. I was asking for the AMB and they were trying to get Mutual AId amb. My SGT suggested that we go in the POLICE CAR. Now, if I thought that the PT was stable enough to get to the POLICE carr, I would have done that. She was not. It took like 24min to finally get an ambulance on scene. Thank God that the MEDIC, with my help stabalized the PT. That is uncalled for.

If that was the TOWN SUPERVISOR or a BOARD MEMBER or one of their family members, the system would have changed that day. I don't think they look at the numbers that closely.

20 Minutes for house fires - yes, it has happened. And I am sure it will again!

I am not touching the paid vs. volunteer EMS thing, I will reserve my opinion.

BUT - I do agree that waiting for help is unacceptable. If you call 911 for a medical emergency, you shouldn't have to wait more then 6-8 minutes.....in a perfect world.

But this is REALITY. And in REALITY nobody is perfect. Yonkers probably has one of the better systems in Westchester with Empress. I don't know facts, but I am sure thier responses can't be too long.

What is the solution? Who the heck knows. We could put an ALS Ambulance in every station and it still may not be enough. I belong to two organizations, one a FD EMS and the other a VAC. Both places have good days getting out and bad days. If we paid someone to crew a rig that would be great - but both places have this thing where more then one call can happen at a time. Then what? We hire a 2nd crew? That's great, until you get an MCI and need 3 rigs....

It's a never-ending problem, as far as I can tell, and we shouldn't get into a battle over how we cover our calls, when we get there, etc. Nothing we do will ever be full-proof. We could put 5 rigs in a town, but how will they be paid for?

Someone lock this subject - it's getting played out!!!

Ok, let's await more developments on the New Castle situation and then, we'll start again. Great discussion, lots of interesting info and, NurseMedic thanks for your post.

Locking up now....