Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest ksneubec

NYS banning Brush Guards?

18 posts in this topic

If someone gets a bug up their 'you know where' they will try to legislate anything. Last year the DMV sent out notices to PD that motorcycles where the handlebar are above shoulder height of a seat rider, are illegal, and subject to summons.

I can't belive that. That is just crazy. Is there any certain reason that they are trying to pass this? My neighbor just got hit in a parking lot and his front bumper and grille are messed up and he wishes that he had a grille guard. I have a grille guard on my S-10 though it may not look great it still serves it's purpose.

Sure they make you take 'em off but won't pay for damage that they could have prevented should you get hit. That's a fair trade off, right?

What about all of the Ambulances, Chiefs Cars, Police Cars, Brush Trucks, And utility trucks that have either a brush guard or push guard on them???????

I have one on my s-10 blazer and I love it saved my Front end from damage a few times, Its allot easier to repaint a brush guard then the frond end of the truck, And besides that It provides that much more space to mount lights!

All kidding aside this law is another ridiculous one for ny.

Just the man trying to keep a brother down!!!!!!!!!!!!!AGAIN!!!!!

Edited by LCFD968

Police vehicles and cabs have them....... nuff' said. :D

Guys they just introduced the bill. I mean I agree with all of you but if you take the time to vent your frustration here you might as well c/p it into a letter to your Assemblyman. There is even a link on that website. If we voice our opinion it won't get passed. This is America after all. And you cannot complain if you don't do anything. Its like people that don't vote then complain about politics.

Bills are passed everyday, most of them never get any further and just dissapear.

Look at this one

Issue: Equipment

Bill: SB 4740

Description: Bans the sale and use of spinner hubcaps.

Author: Senator Sabini

Intro Date: 18-Apr-05

Bill Type: Two Year Bill from 2005

Edited by JustSomeGuy

this couldn't be a more perfect example of over reaching, intrusive, busybody, elitist, do-gooder government but when you're disingenuous and lack the integrity and intellectual honesty to do anything about real problems you take on an issue like "killer" brush guards ravaging our highways to appear like you're doing something. much like the 10,000+ gun laws on the books that never seem to be enough or prosecute the people who need to be off the streets. it'll never change as long as politicians are more concerned with votes, patronage, ego boosting photo ops & perks than doing the right thing.

Does this mean every police cruiser will have to remove theirs as well as large bumpers on other vehicles like DOT trucks and perhaps even some fire equipment? Waste time on something worthwhile solve a real problem.

every piece of ridiculous, self serving, meaningless piece of legislation has started out as a proposal. at one time politicians were people of respect that put their personal lives on hold while they went & served their communities but it has become a lucrative career where the sell power & influence as well as their integrity while they only pretend to serve you but in reality are serving the special interest groups and their own arrogance because they think they know what's right for you because you're incapable & just not smart as they are. how many of these morally bankrupt people do remember in recent years being investigated, indicted, arrested or resigning in shame? rather than be respected they're worthy only of being loathed, resented & to be suspicious of.

every piece of ridiculous, self serving, meaningless piece of legislation has started out as a proposal. at one time politicians were people of respect that put their personal lives on hold while they went & served their communities but it has become a lucrative career where the sell power & influence as well as their integrity while they only pretend to serve you but in reality are serving the special interest groups and their own arrogance because they think they know what's right for you because you're incapable & just not smart as they are. how many of these morally bankrupt people do remember in recent years being investigated, indicted, arrested or resigning in shame? rather than be respected they're worthy only of being loathed, resented & to be suspicious of.

I am sure that emergency vehicles will be exempt from this law if its passed.

I agree that we should not got too excited about this one, it is only a proposal. I think it is ubsurd, and can't see it being passed.

I am actually currently in the market for a push bumper for my 2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee, any suggestions?...

(maybe not appropriate for this topic) . . .

any suggestion? yeah. get one easy to remove if this ridiculous, waste of time, non sensical, intrusive, over reaching piece of garbage ever passes. AND of course emergency vehicles will be exempt. how many times have you seen out of touch, elitist politicians make themselves & the government they manage live to the same standard they force us to? with highways & bridges falling apart, schools unable to promote & graduate students able to read & write & crime rising why don't they hunker down & do something meaningful & worthwhile instead of worrying about petty crap like what's bolted to the front of my truck. they don't have a clue what their purpose is. if you went to work everyday not knowing your job & not accomplishing anything you'd be fired. disgraceful.

And besides that It provides that much more space to mount lights!

without a doubt.

But the reason that this was put into play might have had something to do with MVAs. In a head on these brush guards probably inflict more damage to the other car and probably your own. But I do not want to take mine off it looks like it would be a pain in the but.

What about all of the Ambulances, Chiefs Cars, Police Cars, Brush Trucks, And utility trucks that have either a brush guard or push guard on them???????

I have one on my s-10 blazer and I love it saved my Front end from damage a few times, Its allot easier to repaint a brush guard then the frond end of the truck, And besides that It provides that much more space to mount lights!

All kidding aside this law is another ridiculous one for ny.

A large number of police vehicles utilize push bumpers to push disabled vehicles out of lanes of traffic. I would think that the dangers posed by vehicles disabled in a lane of traffic far outweigh the potential "dangers" of the push guard or brush guard on all vehicles.

First as already said this is only a proposed bill.

Second in regard to the comment about a disabled vehicled causing more danger then a brush/grill guard...how many accidents have you been to where a disabled vehicle was struck? How many have you been to where there was severe intrusion of a vehicle that was struck by a vehicle that has one of these guards? I've been to more of the latter.

Third one of the points in the bill was these guards can limit the activation of certain types of air bag sensors. While it may protect the vehicle it doesn't absorb the force of the collision the way crumple zones and air bags do, thereby directly related to a safety hazard.

Just because police cars or taxi's have them doesn't change anything and is just an overall ignorant comment.

We survived before they became popular, I'm sure if they ban them we can live without them again.