Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest pentax02839

Anyone still use film?

18 posts in this topic

just a question.has everyone switched to digital? or are there still folks using film?does anyone use k1000 camera still?????? :-k

All digital now I use a Nikon D100. Works great and have printed pics up to 18X24.

I've got a Canon Digital Rebel

I use both, but I'm quickly moving toward digital.

All film, all the time. Surprisingly enough, I have not had a client yet that did not want color prints.

I'm too impulsive now for film photography, lol, so I'm 100% Digital. I really enjoy all the benefits that digital has for me over the film, especially when learning how to take photos with such a powerful camera, and considering most of my photos end up on a computer. For people who publish (in print), film is still the best choice I hear.

As for the camera, I recently upgraded to a Canon Digitial Rebel,and I still utilize my Canon Digital Elph SD110. I also have a Nikon film SLR, I may dust that off and play with the "old fashioned" method just for kicks.

for now im sticking with my old film camera.to get started with digital slr camera what is the cost?

It would depend on what type of film SLR you have... If you have canon film SLR then you can convert to digital with the Rebel and you won't have to purchase any lenses this will keep the cost down.

Also if you don't have any SLR stuff then the rebel is also good option if you get the lens kit.

The other digital SLR's come with just the body and you will have to purchase len's

Film is forever, you can always go back and make prints from old negatives that you find. With technology changing so fast I doubt we will be able to reproduce archived digital photos. Anybody able to get the data from any old 5" floppy disks, probably not. Im afraid all the digital photos saved to disk will be lost when CD drives, memory sticks, etc. are obsolete.

Mike

i agree with you mike ,on film.do you take still pictures?if you do what kind of camrera do you use? also the type of film?i use fuji color print.100 speed film.i heard kodak is going to stop making film and only do digital.

mike: I still have several 5.25" disk drives (albiet they are in storage but they still work). Of course you wont fit much on them since they typically hold 360k or 720k depending on the format. Now the real challenge would be to find a drive for the old 8 inch disks. Fry's in California still sells the media, not sure about the drive however. :->

The nice thing about digital media is it's very easy to duplicate, copy, transfer etc., and done at little to no cost. 5.25" disks obsolete? No problem: convert to 3.5" or ZIP disk or CD. Duplicating negatives is a bit of a hastle, costs a lot, and you loose some of the quality of the original. And negatives melt a lot easier than some of the digital media I've seen.

WAS I agree with you on many points that is why I take a ton of photos with my digital camera. When my son was born everybody I knew had a photo emailed to them that day. I take "fun photos" with my digital...things at work, baby and dog doing silly things etc. I have a Nikon N90 that I use for family shots and when I want to be creative. One suggestion I do have for anybody interested in purchasing a new SLR weather traditional or digital dont cheap out with generic lenses. I did and they just dont fit right.

Mike

I'm still a long way from purchasing an SLR. I have seen and played with x635's Digital Rebel and it is quite nice. The best part about SLR Digital is the lack of delay when taking pictures, a problem that drives me nuts sometimes with my current digital. I have an older Sony Cybershot DSC-s30 and it works fine for doing web page work. In fact, the quality of the pictures it takes [for a 1.3mp] is quite excellent, but I doubt I'll be able to print larger than 4x6 with any decency.)

I use film.....I like having color photo prints then again im blonde digital just seems a little too complicated.

A good color photo printer will yield prints from a decent resolution camera. Heck, I've seen good color pictures printed on glossy 8.5x11 paper from a regular (non-photo) ink jet.

WAS is right, I have an HP842C color printer at least 5 years old it will print color photos just fine...only problem is that they will fade quickly and if they get a spot of rain on them there done....If you take your photo stick or watever storage media you have to a photoshop they can print them just like a standard film photo.

Mike

I do still have a couple old film types they're in my trunk don't even know if they still work. Now i use a Samsung Digimax V4 4.0 megapixel paid about $350.00 for it quite small, takes excellent pix. I like it a lot. It's a good pocket sized unit.

mikerabbit: you can get special paper that will help prevent fading and sun damage. As for rain, well that can destroy just about any print.