Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
CAM502

Tuxedo Brush Fire

8 posts in this topic

This Fire was in Harriman State Park right? Anyone know how much of an area burned? Also any word on how it started?

The area burned was well over 1 square mile.

It was infact within Harriman State Park.

It was not in Tuxedo Fire District. Woodbury Fire covers the Park.

Units operating were Woodbury Fire and EMS, Tuxedo, Monroe, South Blooming Grove, Fort Montgomery, Highland Mills, Hillburn, Sloatsburg, Salisbury Mills, Mountain Lodge, West Point Fire, NY/NY Department of Forestry, Mobile Life Support EMS. Orange County Sheriff's Office, New York State Park Police, Teaneck NJ Rehab/Canteen Unit. 300+ Firefighters on hand. Cause still unknown. We were up there for about 4 hours, great job by all.

hopefully with todays rain it will end the brush fires for a while

I wasn't there, but it had to have been one hell of a fire - we saw the smoke coming over the horizion from our firehouse in Croton.

Redoktbr - Next time you should put in a special request for E119!!

After making the IA post on this fire, a friend called me and said you could see the smoke from Verplanck/Peekskill. So i grabbed my camera, picked up my buddy and headed out. You could definately see the smoke from the Verplanck/Peekskill area, thats for sure!

We decided to try and get a closer view and headed over the Bear Mountain Bridge. I figured 7 Lakes Dr. would be closed, so we headed up Perkins Memorial Dr. all the way to the top. There we had a perfectly clear view of the fire and this was around 4:30ish.

REDOKTBR....thanks for listing the depts. involved with this. I wasn't 100% sure on whos district it was, so i figured it was Tuxedo, totally forgetting about Woodbury.

For whatever reason, i'm having a hard time attaching my pictures of this fire, if i figure it out, i will add them.

Edited by BFD1054

By the time my company ( Salisbury Mills/Mountain Lodge) got there the fire had already progressed to the backside of the mountain, so thankfully most of the large body of fire had been knocked down. But it still took a lot of work to keep it that way. BFD 1054, can't wait to see those pics. Too bad you could have snuck up the moutain and gotten so smoke shots from up top.

Over one square mile...damn dude I love to hike up there! Well I guess it clears the way for some new growth.

Stony Point, Thiells, New City and Hillcrest (Rockland County) also were requested at this fire.