Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Ardsley FFs Moving On and Out

13 posts in this topic

Ardsley firefighters moving on and out

By REBECCA BAKER ERWIN

THE JOURNAL NEWS

(Original Publication: April 3, 2006)

ARDSLEY — Village firefighters should be out of their dilapidated firehouse in two months now that Ardsley officials have lifted the roadblock that had stalled the project for months.

The 50-member volunteer department will temporarily move into a shuttered auto body shop near Addyman Square, so the century-old firehouse on Ashford Avenue can be demolished and rebuilt.

Mayor Jay Leon said the village will take control of the old garage on May 1 and start renovations soon after. Village Manager George Calvi said he will ask trustees tonight for permission to advertise for renovation firms.

"I am absolutely thrilled to see this project finally get off the ground," Calvi said.

Leon, Calvi and other village officials were locked in a battle with garage owner Joseph Butta over who should control the site.

The village wanted to buy the property outright, but Butta's asking price was three times what the village was willing to pay, and he was fighting the village's attempts to take the site by eminent domain.

The village scrapped its eminent-domain efforts and agreed to lease the site for $8,640 a month over 18 months. Leon said the cost of an eminent-domain battle, both in time and money, was something Ardsley just couldn't afford.

"It was a risk that we just couldn't take," he said. "This seemed the best way to go."

Finding a temporary home for the firefighters has plagued the firehouse project since it was unveiled in 2002.

The architect hired to design the firehouse went out of business, and the rising costs of construction during the delays drove up the project's price from $2.5 million to $4.3 million.

Meanwhile, part of the roof at the existing firehouse collapsed last summer, damaging some radio equipment. Ardsley Engine Company also keeps three trucks and an antique fire engine in the station, built in 1896 as a schoolhouse.

The new firehouse would provide more space for training, equipment and offices as well as store the bigger fire trucks. The village wants to open the station by the end of 2007.

Butta's garage in the business district was the top choice for Fire Chief Joseph Cipollone.

Leon said he still would like to own the garage property to one day create a municipal parking lot. But a spokesman for HSBC said the bank is considering putting a branch there.

Good luck to Ardsley FD. Hopefully the new house will be finished on time, it sounds like it is long overdue.

I saw X635's Pics but how are they recieving the runs and stuff from County?, did they make a setup in there? Im confused :rolleyes:

Edited by NRFDTL11Buff

will the ladder fit into the garage? Tn looks to small

The ladder and all the trucks will fit. There are going to be some changes done to the place before we move into it. Also we will have to back the trucks in a certain way so that all can fit as well. As for NRFDTL11Buff i have no idea on what you are trying to ask. If you explain it better then i can answer it for you. Hopefully we will be moving soon.

All of Ardsley's apparatus will fit into the new building. This includes Engine 165, Engine 164, Ladder 50, and Engine 242. All appartus will access through the front garage door, and tuck into the large open space in the back of the garage.

The Village Board opened up bidding for renovations at it's meeting last night. Bids are due back April 20th, work is expected to commence May 1st and take two weeks to complete. The work includes things to make the space more habitable, interior partioning, plumbing, electrical, general sprucing up, etc. The site, located on Route 9A just north of Ashford Ave. in downtown Ardsley was a longstanding automotive garage and gas station, and has been vacant for years. The tanks and contaminated soil were removed several years ago.

Demolition of the current firehouse, which is in extremly poor condition and obsolete, will commence in June, and it is hoped that construction on the new firehouse will begin in July. The construction manager is predicting that the work will take 13 months.

It's interesting to note, back in the day, Ardsley used to have it's apparatus serviced there. "Old Betsy", Ardsley's 1928 Seagrave, even had its motor rebuilt there.

Ardsley is dispatched by Ardsley Police.

This is LONG overdue for Ardsley FD, and I wish them luck with this endevor. This project has hit numerous roadblocks, and I have my fingers crossed that this time it will actually begin.

I hope to get photos of the whole process.

Edited by x635

Here's a photo of the current firehouse, built orginally in 1896 as a schoolhouse, soon to be demolished. This building up until 2000 was Village Hall, the Police Station, the Court, and the Firehouse. It had numerous renovations during its over 100 years in service. The building is in extremly poor conditon and is unsalvedgeable. I'll be very sad to see this building go, just because of all the history and memories in it, but a new firehouse is sorely needed.

Location of this firehouse is 505 Ashford Ave. in Ardlsey, between Legion Drive and Route 9A.

Photo by x635.

post-11-1144210937.jpg

I have never been to any of the firehouses in Westchester... yet. Hopefully Ardsley FD members could post some pictures of the old firehouse, inside and out and when they move into the new home, do a comparison shot?

Good luck with the new building!

Good luck to the enitre Ardsley FD with their new house and they deserve a new one with the all the work that they have put in. It is long over due.

Any news on Ardsleys fire house plans??? Pictures????

We are getting ready to move out. The temporary firehouse is not yet ready for us to move into it. It still has to be modified but hopefully in a couple of weeks we will be there.

Progress is being made on the temporary firehouse, the work is almost done and Ardsley FF's should be moving in soon.

Once the move is complete, the current firehouse will be demolished in July-ish.

Work is expected to take a year to year and a half.

Here's a photo of the temporary firehouse, as it looked on the evening of 6-28-06. As mentioned, it used to be an automotive repair garage and gas station for several decades. Some cosmetic finishing touches will be made once the major work is complete.

post-2-1151593958.jpg

Just an update ( a little late):

As of last Thursday 7-13-06, Ardsley has moved into and started operating out of their new temporary firehouse on Saw Mill River Road (Route 9A) near Ashford Ave.

I had a personal tour last Friday, and it's almost nicer then their old station. L50, E165, E165, and E242 all have plenty of room, more then the old quarters.

Construction on their new firehouse, located on the site of the old firehouse, on Ashford Ave, is slated to begin shortly. It will start with asbestos abatement, which is going to take 3 weeks, give or take. Then, demolition will begin.

See spy shot of temporary firehouse in post above. It's been cosmetically improved since the photo was taken, and I will get an updated shot soon.