Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
fire2141

Fire Department or Fire District

10 posts in this topic

Do you feel that fire apperatus should be emblazoned with Fire Department or Fire District? I think it should be Fire Department. The district officials aren't the ones risking their a$$e$ on calls. Putting the Departments name on the trucks honors the men and women past and present as well as the department who have dedicated their time and effort.

Edited by fire2141

i agree it should not be a long process to get gear tool equpiment let the fire dept do the budget for thereown things the Firemen know what they need the the pulbic they are just happy to see you there when they call.

Well there is a distinct difference. Departments are usually a municipal (city, town, village) entity. A district is a controling governing body. Now having said that, can a Fire District employ / oversee a department? YES! Any district body can have a department. Is a district governing body like a city or village, I think so. Any governing body controls a department. I think department is fine, but also and more importantly, you have to remember what your agancy's charter and incorporation read. That is what you should follow.

As Izzy said, there is a distinct difference. Districts are governing bodies where departments are chartered organizations.

Chiefs of district controlled departments are elected by the district. The department can recommend an individual by nomination. A district can go with it or pick someone else. Districts can even go as far as hiring an outsider to be chief. Fire districts will own the equipment (apparatus) and structures. In cases where the department owns a fire house, the district will likely pay rent to store the vehicles.

Fire district can also shut out the incorporated fire department and start from scratch if they choose. There is case law of it happening and nothing can be done by the department to stop them. At that point, the department would be nothing more than a social club.

In the areas where there is no district, the town has a fire protection district. In this situation the town contracts with the department to provide fire protection. The fire department will own the structures and equipment. At the end of a contract, the town can go look else where for fire protection.

I understand the whole department district concept having been a past chief. What I was infering to was a matter of respect in putting the departments name on the trucks such as Golden's Bridge Fire Department versus Golden's Bridge Fire District. It's like you are paying homage to the district when your trucks are marked with the districts name. I know it's something petty, but it bothers me. Like I stated previously the department fights the fires, the district pays the bills. As you stated the district can do whatever they want, but is that politically correct? Imagine the public perception should a district decide to abolish a departments charter.

I understand the whole department district concept having been a past chief.

Sorry Chief. Being a former chief in one of GBFD's mutual aid departments (think repuplican), I know what your talking about.

In the grand scheme of things, is it really that important what is written on the truck? Personally, I believe there are too many more important issues to deal with than that.

Just my 2 cents.

Sorry Chief.  Being a former chief in one of GBFD's mutual aid departments (think repuplican), I know what your talking about. 

In the grand scheme of things, is it really that important what is written on the truck?  Personally, I believe there are too many more important issues to deal with than that. 

Just my 2 cents.

I have to agree with this. Today we (chiefs) have more to fight for than what commissioners, who as trustees of the fire district have the right to put what they want on thier apparatus anyway.

Andy Mancusi

Chief

Hawthorne FD

The name that honors the men and women who put out the fires and respond to emergencies is the name of the company or the name of the department / district they are from. For me I belong to the Charters Hose Company No. 4 of Ansonia which is part of the Ansonia Fire Department. Charters Hose and Ansonia is more of a honor to have those names on a truck. Labeling Fire Department or Fire District does not honor those members. Just my thought.

Edited by IzzyEng4

My 2 cents.

Confucious says " He who signs check for rig chooses district or Department."

BUT, the individual company name SHOULD be on the door somewhere.

In East Fishkill, we have one district, divided into 4 companies,Hopewell Hose(station 1), Stormville(station 2), Hillside lake(station 3), and Wiccopee(station 4). Each company has its own rules, bylaws, and quirks. the chiefs, officers etc are elected within the company, then approved by the district comissioners. The 3 district chiefs, 39-1, 39-2, and 39-8(rescue), are elected by the all the district members. we also have 2 sub-stations,(S.S.2, and S.S.4) which have their own officers, elected by the "members" of the sub station. They are still members of the main stations, but they usually only go to calls and drills in sub station areas. All our rigs have "East Fishkill Fire District" written on them, but they also have the company insignia on them as well, whether it be on the winshield, the maltese cross on the side, etc. its something unique to each company.