Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Standing Around...

8 posts in this topic

TO ALL: Ok I just recently moved to PA. I have left explorers in NY and will soon be getting back into the EMS part of everything down here... Well i gotta complain about some pretty stupid stuff I saw yesterday (9 April 2006). Ok so here is the story, well I live on an army base and they are constantly training around here. Well this past weekend was a drill weekend and they were doing Paradrops out of the helicopter..... Well.......five jumped and four managed to get themselves stuck in a line of trees.... Fire Crews and EMS responded, along with more army guys, and the Police...Then they landed the Hook there ( Chinook CH-47) the big boy chopper... Well meanwhile 2 guys are unstuck from the trees and the other two are still there.... While fire crews and EMS just stood around... HAHA go figure....anyway my point is they just stood around while these guys were hanging upside down from trees trying to get themselves loose... Should something be done about this matter....

Rich

"SmokeEater"

See You When The Whistle Blows

I have pictures i gotta put them on here later

This answer is only a guess as I have dealt with the military before and find they prefer to handle thier own incidents and not rely on outside help.

Andy Mancusi

Chief

Hawthorne FD

Mine is also a guess, but when you train, you want it as real as possible. In combat, there is no FD or EMS response to help you out of the tree. As a cop, when we have firearms training, if the gun malfunctions, you are responsible to clear the malfunction, not the firearms instructor, because on the street you're going to have to deal with it yourself. Just my 2 cents.

Scott

Mine is also a guess, but when you train, you want it as real as possible. In combat, there is no FD or EMS response to help you out of the tree. As a cop, when  we have firearms training, if the gun malfunctions, you are responsible to clear the malfunction, not the firearms instructor, because on the street you're going to have to deal with it yourself. Just my 2 cents.

Scott

I was a paratrooper. Part of your training is to get yourself out these situations. They don't teach you to call 911 and wait for the FD. These guys received some good training that day. I just hope they crossed their legs before impact.

Like was said above, I'm sure the Military wants and expects their own to handle these predicaments. Nobody expects these guys to call 911 for help in the heat of battle. What annoys me though, is when you have these same FF.s standing around, laughing it up and not even pretending to look busy when there's a whole lot of sh!t to be done at a job. It's the same old story no matter where you go. Somethings and some people just never change.

I was a paratrooper.  Part of your training is to get yourself out these situations.  They don't teach you to call 911 and wait for the FD.  These guys received some good training that day.  I just hope they crossed their legs before impact.

yeah that would leave a mark wouldnt it.... ouch.... i can feel the pain just thimking about it. umm.... but someone called for ems and Fire Fighters... i heard it on the scanner.... so oh well just thought i should address this to see what everyone else thought

Having seen Sikorsky Aircraft and the military deal with crashes up here, anything military related is usually done by themselves. Of course something happens like a crash or what you saw, people naturally are going to cal for help. The PD, FD & EMS were more than likely told to stand by by the military and would be used if they needed them.

I would assume that the Army has a plan in place to deal with things like this, as im sure they are pretty common. Likewise, as others said, the Military doesnt like too many people sticking their nose in their business.