Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Ladder 39's Quarters Closed

20 posts in this topic

On tonights 6pm news WNBC TV report that the quarters of Ladder company was beyond repair and as a result 39 truck will have to co-located down 233rd street with 63 engine and the 15th batt.

nothing wrong with the North Bronx!!

That firehouse has been crumbling for a while now. It's unfortunate. THis does mean a delay of a few minutes in response for them. Hope that house gets rebuilt. It's a very optimally located house btwn the BRP and I-87.

Just a different outside view here, you think that FDNY's upper ranks and the city may try to move more single truck co's with single engines in the future? Seems that's been the trend. I think there is good and bad points to it though.

Edited by IzzyEng4

The rumor has been going around for a long time about 39 going over to 63. The next firehouse scheduled to be built will be a house for Engine 201, Ladder 114(both single houses) and possibly a battalion in with them.

You will start to see Quints in the FDNY in the next few years.

You will start to see Quints in the FDNY in the next few years.

Why would the city go to Quints?

You still need truck companies and engine companies to get the job done. The biggest argument against quints is whether you are responding as an engine or ladder? Who makes that call, dispatch or first officer on scene? Are you buying quints to decrease the number of ladder companies or engine companies? What is the extra expense of manning a fleet of quints versus engines (which cost less) and ladders (some are less,some are more than quints)? Do you buy quints with ladders or towers? How do you lay your supply line fire to water or water to fire?

To me, going to quints raises a whole lot more questions than they provide answers. I prefer the squad method where the squad can act as a ladder company if needed but still be first or second due engine in their own call area. That is being flexible.

I am not trying to bash your post but rather raise questions about quints. They may work for some departments that have manpower problems and can't get an extra engine to the scene. FDNY has no shortage of manpower or pumpers to supply their ladders. I think they have the ideal system.

I think he was just joking.

Anyway, a quint is like a swiss army knife.....it does a lot of things, but no one thing well!!!!!

I think he was just joking.

Anyway, a quint is like a swiss army knife.....it does a lot of things, but no one thing well!!!!!

It is highly unlikely that a City (like NYC) would entertain the idea of quint companies. Yes, we have seen other large Cities utilize either a Total Quint Concept or a "Select" Quint Application.

I am sure some bean-counter in the City has had their biased education to the "benefits" of such a plan at the last ICMA convention, but the likelihood of this happening in a City like New York is remote.

The reality is that this may have served some communities with marginal firefighting tactics. The only real service (or lack thereof) it provides for is less companies and less manpower. Sure, the pretty new $800K ladder/engine/rescue truck may look impressive upon arrival or on paper. But, I would rather have 5 (or more) fire fighters with the proper tools and training arriving in a pick-up truck (and an extension ladder) then an oversized and understaffed monolith.

13Victor said it quite well....a giant swiss army knife. Hopefully, your reference does not upset the "pro-quint crowd", I would hate for them to copy and send that to your Chief. :):)

If you look at some companies in the city that would be get a quint it would be off the bat. E70/L53 - E329- E63/L39 not saying it should happen but they have looked at this no that long ago. Get an 8 man cab for the quints thats what I was saying put 8 guys in a house and not 10 with the 10-14 engine.

They tried the Squrts back in the 70's and they went the way of the dodo. They also tried the LA Light Force concept back then as well.(One boss, two units) I strongly doubt you'll see the quint move into the city.

Edited by JBE

FDNY has been trying to move 39 Truck for years. When 63 Engine's quarters were built in the '70's (?), the truck was supposed to move there too. Community support to keep the truck in the house opposite Woodlawn Cemetary kept it there.

Just a different outside view here, you think that FDNY's upper ranks and the city may try to move more single truck co's with single engines in the future?  Seems that's been the trend.  I think there is good and bad points to it though.

There are very few single ladder company houses....less then 5 I'd say.....anyone with more knowledge on this subject, what is the exact #?

if im not mistaken i believe that the only single ladder houses are

Ladder 39 - Bronx

Ladder 8- Manhattan

Ladder 114- Brooklyn

correct me if im wrong

Ladder 39 - Bronx

Ladder 8- Manhattan

Ladder 114- Brooklyn

correct me if im wrong

I think that this is all of them.

Yes that is some of them add the following.

Ladder 3 Manh

Ladder 8 Manh

Ladder 18 Manh

Ladder 20 Manh

Ladder 25 Manh

Ladder 39 Bronx

Ladder 79 SI

Ladder 114 Brooklyn

You can also say that some fire houses in the city are not connected but are next to each other. such as E-64 and L47 in the Da Bronx.

Edited by CPAGE

E15 has been in with L18 for some time and I think they're staying there for good.

There is a plan to have L-114 and E-201 and possibly the 40 Bn move into one house together not too far from E-201's current quarters.

Ladder 39 - Bronx

Ladder 8- Manhattan

Ladder 114- Brooklyn

these are true single ladder firehouses, the others listed have a chief or special unit.

E64 L47 werent built connected but now have a common kitchen i believe the members constructed. Its only visible whjen there parking gate is open.