Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Ladder44

Fire explorer injured at Brush fire

7 posts in this topic

A Fire explorer was injured at the secne of the brush fire In Winsted,CT(4-12-06) She suffered from smoke inhalation.

A Fire explorer was injured at the secne of the brush fire In Winsted,CT(4-12-06) She suffered from smoke inhalation.

Prayers for a speedy recovery.

Andy Mancusi

Chief

Hawthorne FD

she never went to the hospital fromwhat i know of, i know she was treated with oxygen at the secne.

Edited by Ladder44

How close to the fire was this explorer? A little too close maybe....

Can someone tell me why a "child" is allowed to operate on a fireground? Is the Fire service so hard up for manpower that they have to use children? Children are not allowed to handle food while employeed in a fast food restaurant yet they are put to work on a fireground? I don't know very much about explorers programs, I didn't think they operated at fires. I hope this kid is ok.

Can someone tell me why a "child" is allowed to operate on a fireground?  Is the Fire service so hard up for manpower that they have to use children?  Children are not allowed to handle food while employeed in a fast food restaurant yet they are put to work on a fireground?  I don't know very much about explorers programs, I didn't think they operated at fires.  I hope this kid is ok.

Explorers are usually ages 14-18, for first of all they are not "children." In most cases explorers are given tasks on fireground in which they do not need to be on air to complete. I do not know if in this case the explorer was just too close watching, or whether they were doing something they shouldn't have been. Either way, bad judgement may have been used.

This explorer should have been properly supervised, and shown how to fight brush fires. It is possible that the individual could have gotten smoke inhalation while fighting the fire but a could teacher or a good officer would have had this situation under control and she wouldnt have gotten harmed.