Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JohnnyOV

I got shot at last night 5 times...I hate FL

31 posts in this topic

So my friends and I are driving back from a resturant in a pickup (theres 8 of us, and a GF in the front seat, im in the bed of the truck) when one of them has to relieve himself...Fine. We pull off onto a short dead end road where there is some brush in "no mans land" for him to go to the bathroom.

30 second later, comeing from across the intersection I hear POP POP...and said "what was that" to the driver"I think were being shot at," as I say that, I look behind me, and there is a guy standing in the middle of the road, directly at us, both arms to the side, with a gun in his right hand.

I immediately yell for everyone to get back in the truck, and everyone follows suit. A couple of guys thought I was jokeing so they were cracking up at this, but "playing along." I tell the driver...(which he was already about to do) to "get the hell out of here"...the only way out was towards the guy shooting at us since it was a dead end road.

So he slammed down on the gas, and as he does this, the shooter raises the gun and points it as us. I immediatly yell for everyone to get down and cover. As i say this, im looking out the front of the bed, watching the muzzle flashes aimed at our car. 2 were shot at us as we were driveing towards him, and 1 was as we were passing him (he was a horrible shot I know).

Immediatly after we passed him, I got on the phone and called 911, let them know what the story was.

Now I called back this morning to find out if they caught the guy...THERE IS NO RECORD OF THIS EVER HAPPENING!! so there is going to be some serious questions from my part if this doesnt straighten out.

Edited by EMSJunkie712

Holy Sweet Jesus!! That is some crazy stuff. Was it like a gang banger or just some nut case roming the streets. i have been in the same situation but that good we were moving and was just some dumb kids acting like morons. but i cant believe the 911 people had no record of that your call. thats not good

Holy Sweet Jesus!! That is some crazy stuff. Was it like a gang banger or just some nut case roming the streets. i have been in the same situation but that good we were moving and was just some dumb kids acting like morons. but i cant believe the 911 people had no record of that your call. thats not good

It was some nutcase just high on something probally.

MAN, watch out for those druggies. No one was hurt? Close call man, watch your back and stay safe down there! :blink:

MAN, watch out for those druggies.  No one was hurt?  Close call man, watch your back and stay safe down there! :blink:

yea, everyone was ok. The Girlfriend of the driver was freaking out (understandable). She came down from Baltimore for a nice vacation for a week... :blink: go figure. I didnt look at my friends pickup, but it dont think it got hit.

yea, everyone was ok. The Girlfriend of the driver was freaking out (understandable). She came down from Baltimore for a nice vacation for a week... :blink: go figure. I didnt look at my friends pickup, but it dont think it got hit.

dude, you where freaking out to. you stuttered like 18 times on the phone last night in two sentences.

dude, you where freaking out to. you stuttered like 18 times on the phone last night in two sentences.

:blink: thanks man...

:blink: LOL! And how would you have fared? :blink:

Jonesy

NOW THATS A STORY....what was your location tho?

HOLY S-*%!!!!!! Thank God you are all ok! Let's hope it was just some nut job high on something. Be careful and stay safe down there!

NOW THATS A STORY....what was your location tho?

beach street and freedmont ave. Daytona Beach FL

Ok now for the real questions. What cell company do you use? Was it a cell 911 center or the local pd PSAP that answered? How much info did you give them? And why the hell when you called to say you were being shot at didn't you wait for a sector car at a safe location down the way a bit or go to the local precinct??

Now I asked the first questions because I have called 911 on a cell (Nextel) and had them not answer (hung up after 2min of ringing), had them hang up on me after all I said was the Parkway name ( they must have assumed that the highway is only allowed one accident at a time), and I've seen them just completely drop the ball (pulled over at an accident, called for a bus, 15 min later called back and said what is the status of the bus the response was "What are you talking about no one reported an accident". Now if I'm on my cell and in NY I call either 60 control, County pd, or State pd directly.

And as for my last question, just a personal opinion, but I would have wanted to file a full report.

Glad you are all ok...man Florida ain't what it used to be. Stay safe.

Ok now for the real questions.  What cell company do you use?  Was it a cell 911 center or the local pd PSAP that answered?  How much info did you give them?  And why the hell when you called to say you were being shot at didn't you wait for a sector car at a safe location down the way a bit or go to the local precinct??

Now I asked the first questions because I have called 911 on a cell (Nextel) and had them not answer (hung up after 2min of ringing), had them hang up on me after all I said was the Parkway name ( they must have assumed that the highway is only allowed one accident at a time), and I've seen them just completely drop the ball (pulled over at an accident, called for a bus, 15 min later called back and said what is the status of the bus the response was "What are you talking about no one reported an accident".  Now if I'm on my cell and in NY I call either 60 control, County pd, or State pd directly.

And as for my last question, just a personal opinion, but I would have wanted to file a full report.

Glad you are all ok...man Florida ain't what it used to be.  Stay safe.

I do have nextel. I could hear the dispatcher typeing away frantically and I could hear the PO in the backround calling enroute. Everything in Volusia County is disptached from 1 central location in daytona beach police fire ambulance. I was going to call dispatch directly, but it was just faster to call 911. The info i gave them was about 5 mintutes long...started out....

"911 whats your emergency?" '

"SHOTS FIRED, beach st and freedmont ave in daytona beach, 2 shots into the air, 3 aimed at our vehical - black toyota pick up. Single white male in the road, no shirt jean shorts long hair - brown or black coulnt really tell. Shots came from a hand gun, Im not sure of the type"

There was other information after that that they asked for, in all it was about a 5 minute call to 911. They said they would call me back if they needed anything else. and that was that.

Whoa, I'm glad all of you came out of this OK, shaken but OK!!

Man, these days you sure gotta maintain your " situational awareness"... :unsure:

Whoa, I'm glad all of you came out of this OK, shaken but OK!!

Man, these days you sure gotta maintain your " situational awareness"... :unsure:

down here im always on the watch...alot of my friends carry a knife just for "protection," and i used joke about it with em, but now i see why they do. Im even thinking when I turn 21 to get my concealed carry permit.

Glad to here everyone is ok, but it doesnt take alot of street smarts to realize you dont pull onto a dead-end-road in a crappy part of town to take a piss. Locals have an uncanny ability to singal out out-of-towners...

Once again another reason I'm glad I decided to go to RIT and not Embry-Riddle :unsure:

Just some 411 If it happend on beach street in Daytona and You dialed 911 the agency that would have answered is Volusia County sheriff in daytona at the comm center, I used to work there and all calls VIA 911 are recorded, Volusia county sheriff handels 80% of calls and dispatch for the county including daytona. Seems weird that they have no record of you calling. I know things are weird down here, Especially with fire and EMS they have more training here but seem to have less knowledge, Anyway hope the 411 helped.

THAT IS QUITE THE STORY, THEY SHOULD MAKE A MOVIE ABOUT IT. IM GLAD YOUR OKAY THOUGH, SERIOUSLY THAT SOUNDS AWFUL - I WAS ATTACKED BY A FLYING GNOME ONCE AND IT WAS QUITE TRAUMATIC AS WELL -- GLAD YOUR ALL ALRIGHT HAVE A GOOD ONE MAN

Glad to here everyone is ok, but it doesnt take alot of street smarts to realize you dont pull onto a dead-end-road in a crappy part of town to take a piss. Locals have an uncanny ability to singal out out-of-towners...

wasnt even a bad part of town... :unsure: at least we thought so. I used to deliver pizza's there 5-10 times a night last year, never had a problem.

Once again another reason I'm glad I decided to go to RIT and not Embry-Riddle B)

:unsure: stay up there man, your much better off!

Just some 411 If it happend on beach street  in Daytona and You dialed 911 the agency  that would have answered is Volusia County sheriff in daytona at the comm center, I used to work there and all calls VIA 911 are recorded, Volusia county sheriff handels 80% of calls and dispatch for the county including daytona. Seems weird that they have no record of you calling. I know things are weird down here, Especially with fire and EMS they have more training here but seem to have less knowledge, Anyway hope the 411 helped.

Are you talking about the main comm center on mason, near nova... At Evac's HQ?

Are you talking about the main comm center on mason, near nova... At Evac's HQ?

No, (if I remember correctly) the Volusia County Sheriff comm center is on Keyton Drive in Daytona Beach. They dispatch Daytona Beach Fire/Police as well as County Beach Patrol, among others.

The ECC you're thinking of dispatches EVAC, South Daytona, and Holly Hill, and maybe a few others.

No, (if I remember correctly) the Volusia County Sheriff comm center is on Keyton Drive in Daytona Beach. They dispatch Daytona Beach Fire/Police as well as County Beach Patrol, among others.

The ECC you're thinking of dispatches EVAC, South Daytona, and Holly Hill, and maybe a few others.

hmmmm, ill have to talk to my capt or lt then. The ICS-100 class I took was wrong in ther information on how we get dispatched. Sorry for the confusion folks

First off, good thing everyone involved (on your end is ok).

Second, I agree with JBE...run him over respond to deadly force with ...DEADLY FORCE.

Finally, as for carrying a knife, watch "The Untouchables". Famous Sean Connery line "Silly WOP brings a knife to gun fight."

First off, good thing everyone involved (on your end is ok).

Second,  I agree with JBE...run him over respond to deadly force with ...DEADLY FORCE.

Finally, as for  carrying a knife, watch "The Untouchables".  Famous Sean Connery line "Silly WOP brings a knife to gun fight."

If i was driving, he would have been toast. My friend was more worried about his GF and us and just got the hell out of there. He had to do a 3 point turn to make it out of the dead end while the guy was running and shooting. I give him much respect for keeping it semi-cool.

Edited by EMSJunkie712

yea, everyone was ok. The Girlfriend of the driver was freaking out (understandable). She came down from Baltimore for a nice vacation for a week... :unsure: go figure. I didnt look at my friends pickup, but it dont think it got hit.

EIGHT GUYS AND A PICKUP TRUCK. THAT'S HER IDEA OF A NICE VACATION?

I'm with JBE. I would have made him a hood ornament.

Pickup Truck vs Pedestrian with Gun? No need to guess who I'd bet on.

Edited by WAS967

down here im always on the watch...alot of my friends carry a knife just for "protection," and i used joke about it with em, but now i see why they do. Im even thinking when I turn 21 to get my concealed carry permit.

Glad you are ok, sounds like quite a night.

I once had occasion to call NYPD regarding a stolen vehicle that I had come across in the Bronx. All they were interested in was me telling them where I was so that I could meet the PD whenever they got there, instead of the car, or who is driving or minor things like that. And then they asked me "what is the problem???"

Nothing wrong with the the CC permit, despite what the the Liberals might say.