Followers 0
x635

Save the Rescuers From One Another:Combine Rescue And ESU

11 posts in this topic

Save the Rescuers From One Another

By DENNIS SMITH

Published: May 18, 2004

New York Times

Today and tomorrow the 9/11 commission holds hearings in New York to examine the response of local and federal emergency response departments to the attacks. As someone who has spoken to hundreds of people who worked at ground zero, from top fire and police commanders to those who sifted through "the pile," one question continues to gnaw at my understanding: why was there such a disparity in the loss of life among first responders?

The heroism displayed by firefighters, police officers and emergency personnel on and after 9/11 will stay with me forever. As a New Yorker and a former firefighter, I will always be proud of their courage. Yet I have reluctantly come to the belief that the crisis at the World Trade Center was worsened by a lack of cooperation between the Fire and Police Departments.

The age-old antagonism between the services has become institutionalized. No other city in the nation has police and fire services as redundant and competitive as New York's. Though the beginnings of the rift are murky, it was created by the establishment of two special rescue organizations, one in each of the two largest emergency service teams in the world. For the safety of both our city and our first responders, these two operations should be merged.

Any analysis of 9/11 will show that the Fire and Police Departments, with some exceptions at the lower levels, could hardly be said to be working together. There is much evidence of inadequate communications on 9/11. The McKinsey report on the Fire Department's preparedness cited many communications received by 911 operators that were passed to the Police Department but never forwarded to the fire chiefs, information that could have saved lives.

When a Police Department helicopter pilot saw that the South Tower was falling, his announcement was instant — and police command issued a forceful and robust order to evacuate the remaining building and to move all department vehicles to safety. But fire chiefs did not hear this order. The command of the North Tower was covered with debris when the South Tower fell, and Chief Joseph Pfeifer, in darkness, gave the order, "All units in Tower One, evacuate the building."

Just how many firefighters escaped in the minutes from Chief Pfeifer's order until the tower's collapse is uncertain, but we do know that several police officers from the city and the Port Authority were killed when the second tower collapsed — along with 121 firefighters. Others were killed on the street. In all, almost 15 firefighters died for every city police officer. This suggests that there were successful communications in the Police Department, but not within the Fire Department or between the two departments.

One definition of readiness is to be highly motivated and fully understanding of both mission and risk. Yet it also means being properly trained in systems, procedures and equipment adequate to an emergency. Under this definition, it cannot be said that our first responders were prepared at ground zero. Fire and police were not having regular drills before the emergency, and there was no meaningful protocol in place.

The Department of Homeland Security has ordered the National Incident Management System to ensure an organized command during emergencies. Their coordination is codified by signed protocols — agreements of incident command between responding emergency organizations, whether they are local, state or federal. Just days ago, the Police and Fire Departments of New York signed a new protocol — 32 months after 9/11.

Yet protocols are not the answer. We have had them before. Except for the current commissioners, who have worked to solve the problem, the indifference of each department for the work of the other will remain.

Why? Because there is a territorial imperative that separates the two departments, which is caused by their separate rescue units. The Fire Department has five rescue companies, and the Police Department has an emergency services unit with 10 truck groups. Each police officer and firefighter in these units is well trained.

But their similarity in mission causes competition that is often divisive and sometimes harmful. It is this competition that will be found, historically, as the basis for the communications failure on 9/11, and which continues to this day.

Police officers and firefighters in these units also undergo similar training, no doubt share motivations and have a certain self-sufficient psychology. "This is my job, and I can handle it," both are likely to say. On 9/11, that psychology seemed to say, "We'll do our job, and let them do theirs." There is no reason to believe that this will change, for the new protocol relies on the recognition of core competencies to determine command. But each department believes it can handle any event.

The only way to solve these issues for the long run is through a third department — a Department of Rescue and Emergency Service. This new department could be created relatively quickly and cheaply, since the expertise and equipment for it already exist. Its commissioner would report directly to the mayor.

The Fire Department's rescue companies and Police Department's emergency services units have heroic histories, and many in their ranks have died saving the people of New York City. To meet the special demands of our times, however, the city would benefit by the creation of a third force, staffed only by elite members of the Police and Fire Departments.

Rescue companies and emergency services units are the lifeblood of any emergency operation. In New York City, both the Fire Department and Police Department have performed their duties with honor and bravery. But for our city to be prepared, we must not allow them to be competitive.

Dennis Smith, a former firefighter, is the author of "Report From Ground Zero: The Story of the Rescue Efforts at the World Trade Center."

For those following the 9/11 Commission's visit to New York City this week, Dennis Smith author of books such as Report from Engine Co. 82 and Report from Ground Zero, among others, is scheduled to testify tommorrow at 10:00 am. Live feed of panel discussions and testimony can be viewed on WNBC.com.

as a firefighter who spent almost 10 years on a rescue company in a city in westchester and 2 years on a rescue in the military I often place the blame on both the fd/pd leaders for the bad feelings that may arise from an emergency situation. As a firefighter who always wanted to do the job that I was trained to do it was often frustrating when something major was going on within the city and the fd was not invited by the pd. I am all in favor of e-911 but in many locations it has hurt the fire service. Now before I offend someone I want to make it very clear that most of my closest freinds are police officers,from troopers to nypd to military police they are my "buddies", anyway-most citys have enough crime going on that I often feel that the military should be activated and go from city to city to help clean up our nation. crime ,drugs etc is off the wall.i live in a small community in the middle of westchester and i hate to say it but a person has a better chance of getting a dwi after having a few than being arrested for dealing drugs etc. let the pd deal with the criminals and the fd handle the fire/accident etc situations. as far as what dennis smith feels,sorry dennis,oil and water don't mix!

How about FDs dealing with EMS. I have been under the impression that many, ( at least in central Westchester ) dont want to deal with EMS transports because they cant bill to recover revenue, however many will always want to be dispatched as to increase their call colume, therby increasing funding.

Mike

Thats the main reason some ambulance corps are seperating (at least on paper). Mohegan is a good example. While they are still a part of the fire association, being a seperate entity, they now have the ability use third party billing. I was under the impression that there was a movement in state legislature to allow fire departments to bill for certain services, including EMS runs. Anyone have further information?

they are already billing-in some departments it is called retirement incentive as well as fire taxes,some vacs tax the districts that they serve and also bill them,then they have the retirement incentive also????????????

I work in Yonkers, i've got ESU & FD there they both do an excellent Job. Yes there is hostility between the two agencies but the job gets done. IMO the more units that have the training and the equipment and are on the road the better. The public doesn't care who does the rescue just that it is done. FD complains about ESU and ESU complains about FD. FD doesn't want to do EMS..... IT IS ALL EGO. Work together or don't respond AT ALL.

[-X 801- It is NOT all ego. You may think you know, but comments like that cause the trouble.

Everything is Good now.

I think someone who lives in the glass house of Empress should not throw stones. And everybody THINKS they know..

Well then explain to US who aren't in the know...... make us understand why it isn't that simple

Hudson144-EXACTLY! I cannot see how combining ESU and FD rescue would benefit anyone. We are different for a reason. The problem started when ESU starting getting past their purpose which was more tactical and trained cops in SWAT type tactics and to aid officers in need. Combine them and how would you distinguish between who is cop and who is firefighter? May not sound like a big deal to some, but when your in a project or the fact that soceity in large in many socio-economic depress communities are anti police, I want to know that they can tell I am a firefighter/paramedic. Think its coincidence many of us plaster paramedic on our backs and in our patches?

Not to sound overly harsh, but impression is often a personal view that involves smoke and mirrors. It is my impression that many FD's would like to do EMS. In addition, while a fire district cannot bill, which they shouldn't be able to being the citizens they protect are paying fire district taxes, municipalities do have the right to bill. Often the biggest problem is getting the right people to do the billing, ensuring compliance to be able to bill one of your largest reimbursers...medicare. In addition, there is no correlation between call volume and funding. Many FD's call volumes in Westchester are up....while because of the economy budgets went down. That is a political statement made by private and other ems entities that didn't like it when many FD's started stopping on their territory. Don't get me wrong, there are several FD's who give hard working, dedicated and professional fire based EMS services a bad name. But the majority are making it work, and tiered response is a proven life saver. When it is done correctly. It can also be said that there are several private providers in the area that dump their 911 system staffing to fulfill transports..why $$$$.