Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Public Know Difference Between EMT Levels?

15 posts in this topic

I am currently in a Paramedic program and have a paper to write. The topic is Licensing or Certification. Do you think we would get the rcognition and the salary adjustment if we were licensed like other professions such as Nursing, CPA's or MD's.

Do you think the public knows the difference between an EMT-B and an EMT-P ?

And what do you think will raise the publics understanding of the very important role we play in pre hospital care ?

I look forward to your comments.....

the public does not have a clue about CFR, EMT-B, EMT-D, EMT-CC,

EMT-P whatever.

they think anyone on an ambulance is a paramedic.

I agree, I don't think anyone knows who is who, unless your in public safety. Most citizens where I work think I'm "just an EMT", untill I get out of the big truck to cut them out of what ever they are stuck in. Good ole job security!!!

Anyway, I would go and find the largests systems, and see what they do, and how they do it, and how they educate the public. I would also contact people at UMDNJ EMS.... they are a University based EMS for a couple of large Cities and you could be enlightened by the info. there.

uh-ems.org

I don't really think that licensure would make much of a difference in EMS recognition and salaries. I don't think that will come until EMS is viewed as an essential public safety and healthcare field.

I know that the vast majority of the public doesn't know the difference between an EMT-B and an EMT-P. I've been asked many times if I'm a paramedic and, then, when I try to explain that I'm an EMT-B, they just get very confused.

In order to raise public awareness about the essential role of EMS, EMS agencies need to try to educate the public through open houses and other opportunities for the public to interact with us and learn about what we do. It's also very important for all EMTs to try to educate the public around them. Going back to what I said earlier, when people ask me if I'm a paramedic, it's very tempting to say yes simply to avoid the long-winded explanation of the differences in certifications, but, if we do that, we're just furthering the public's ignorance about EMS. I think it's important for all EMTs, if asked about EMS, to fully answer any questions to help others understand what we do.

I am currently in a Paramedic program and have a paper to write.    The topic is Licensing or Certification. Do you think we would get the rcognition and the salary adjustment if we were licensed like other professions such as Nursing, CPA's or MD's.

Do you think the public knows the difference between an EMT-B and an EMT-P ?

And what do you think will raise the publics understanding of the very important role we play in pre hospital care ?

I look forward to your comments.....

Look at the new topic posted with the article from the Journal news. As long as politicians continue to nickel and dime EMS services when they have dedicated services for fire and police you will not gain recognition. Look at the call in New Castle. 21 mins and that was from when they were dispatched from 60 control. If citizens knew they would demand definitive care and prompt response times from paramedics. Public awareness is crucial to the profession otherwise we will be just ambulance drivers. I still think we should somehow distinquish ourselves by our uniform selection. Something to make a paramedic appearance different than the police might be a start...If you need to do a paper interview people on the street and ask them for the difference. Even better ask healthcare providers in areas of the hospital outside the ER. EDUCATE THE PUBLIC!!

It's all taken for granted.

Look in any wealthy community (ok, that's bias, any community period)... you can be going lights and sirens and people wont give a hoot, they wont pull over. Why? Because they don't see a need to, they don't care... we're just a**holes driving around for the fun of it, right?

BUT, If it's THEM that need the ambulance or fire dept... you better be breaking every damn law getting to the call or else you're going to be hearing from their lawyer.

It's all taken for granted - the public has no idea what it's like to volunteer at an ambulance agency or fire dept... oh, go in and spend 20min, cool! How about spend 4 hours at a fire and be late to work... nah, that never happens.

People are naive, it's the way society is unfortunately. And as said, until people realize how valuable what they have is... nothing will ever change. How to make this happen? That's really the question... education is the key as said, but how? Flyers are thrown in the mail all the time for donations, do half the people even open the envelope when they see who it's from?

Also, for whatever reason, EMS is always looked down upon in comparison to a hospital. Pre-hospital care can make or break your life in many situations... but many people just think it's a meat wagon to get you to the hospital quicker, unless you're involved, you have no idea.

It's sad really. Maybe one day it'll change.

Edited by mikeinet

Unfortunately all of the above are true. We had the same problem with our Explorer Post at my Firehouse. They had the same uniforms, same turnout gear and if we had a walk-in they would look to them for help. When most of the time they couldn't help.

When the public calls 911 for help they want the help imiediately. Like mikeinet just said. No one cares unless it's their problem.

So, in answer to your question, No the public does not know the difference of the EMT-B or the EMT-P.

The public is totally helpless with terminology. You could be a paid driver, and they would still expect you to hop out and start setting IVs. They have no clue waht the difference between an EMT and a paramedic, let alone a CFR, an EMT-B, EMT-D, EMT-CC, or paramedic. :D

The public has no idea about the differnce between an EMT-B, EMT-I, EMT-P. People always say, oh your a paramedic and when i say i'm an EMT they say, "aren't they the same thing?".

The public has no idea about the differnce between an EMT-B, EMT-I, EMT-P.  People always say, oh your a paramedic and when i say i'm an EMT they say, "aren't they the same thing?".

i get the same, but im only a CFR...people ask me all the time if I push drugs. :)

very rare that the public knows the difference.

1. If they don't know, thats our fault for a lack of public education.

2. Perhaps if ambulances didn't go screaming around call to call, call to hospital for everythign and anything some people wouldn't be desensitized to them and be more willing to pull over. I work in a low income area, it doesn't matter rich or poor some just won't pull over. And you know what...no problem, its not my job to force them to pull over, its the law for them to and I can only request the right of way not take it.

3. Its all taken for granted...no one forced you to become a firefighter or EMT. Career or volunteer. Just because you're a volunteer organization, no one owes it anything. It is a service and people expect service, why? Because they pay for it, what the status is of that service means nothing to anyone and it shouldn't matter.

4. Flyers for donations mailed out every year isn't public education. If they choose not to open it, that's their business, they already pay property or fire taxes for the service. When is the last time a flyer on smoke detector information or CO was sent out? How to protect your residence or ensure that if you have an emergency that your address is clearly labeled according to 911 laws. That's public education.

5. If people think its a meat wagon that is because it is a allied health and health care industry problem for taking people off stretchers and into rooms when they don't deserve it. Get them into triage and make them wait and it will decline. I've seen it happen in my area and we explain that to patients prior to taking them so they understand.

6. I agree in some ways in the uniform comment. If you are in the healthcare field, perhaps uniform shirts isn't the way to go nor captain bars and all that. ER docs don't wear stars and nurses don't wear stripes. Operations director and care manager work just as nice.

Would licensing make a difference?

Ask youself these questions....

1. Does a CNA (certified nursing assistant) make as much money as a LPN (Licensed Practical Nurse)? Nope. Sometimes initials and names mean more money because they required more education and requirements to maintain such.

2. Why do nursing unions often fight the question of licensing Paramedics. Only licensed healthcare providers can give patient care in hospitals in NY state. Licensing Paramedics would open up more career opportunities for some Paramedics.

It's all taken for granted.

Look in any wealthy community (ok, that's bias, any community period)... you can be going lights and sirens and people wont give a hoot, they wont pull over. Why? Because they don't see a need to, they don't care... we're just a**holes driving around for the fun of it, right?

BUT, If it's THEM that need the ambulance or fire dept... you better be breaking every damn law getting to the call or else you're going to be hearing from their lawyer.

It's all taken for granted - the public has no idea what it's like to volunteer at an ambulance agency or fire dept... oh, go in and spend 20min, cool! How about spend 4 hours at a fire and be late to work... nah, that never happens.

People are naive, it's the way society is unfortunately. And as said, until people realize how valuable what they have is... nothing will ever change. How to make this happen? That's really the question... education is the key as said, but how? Flyers are thrown in the mail all the time for donations, do half the people even open the envelope when they see who it's from?

Also, for whatever reason, EMS is always looked down upon in comparison to a hospital. Pre-hospital care can make or break your life in many situations... but many people just think it's a meat wagon to get you to the hospital quicker, unless you're involved, you have no idea.

It's sad really. Maybe one day it'll change.

It could change if the press continues to write articles on pre-hospital care and educate the public. It also has to do with perception. If you dress like the other healthcare providers you will distinquish yourself as separate from police. Maybe somone should design and market heavy duty scrubs with the functionality of BDU pants. Nurses use towear white uniforms and now you walk into a hospital and everyone wears scrubs. When people learn that a medic follows the same protocols as a doctor during an arrest or an allergic reaction then you will start to see a difference. Once that happens maybe medics will get the salaries that are comparable to other healthcare providers and that they rightly deserve.

First and foremost I have to say it's very funny indeed that this topic is here. Yesterday I was getting a haircut, and it came up in conversation of my profession. The hairdresser then turned to me and said, "what the hecks the difference anyways". So in reply I explained the difference between the two (EMT and Paramedic), she then asked, "well which one is better, who do I want when I call the ambulance?". Again reverting to the methodology behind it I simply stated that it would depend on the nature of the call and that the care necessary would and should be determined on scene by the highest qualified medical authority.

Secondly I must say to ALS: KUDO'S and very well put. I couldn't agree more that it is a failure on our part as providers for the publics lack of knowledge. Also on the topic of licensing paramedics, it would have its pro's and con's however I believe that the pro's would outweigh and overcome. Afterall would more jobs really be that much of a bad thing? It would also create a possibility for more public awareness, perhaps more salary, and furthermore room for more self promotion (ie: moving on to NP, PA and MD).

The only reason why I have stated the above is because at my current job we have an option to work in the E.D. as a Pt Tech, when overtime is available and there are no abulance tours open.

WE ARE OUR OWN WORST ENEMY!!!!