Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
FF402

Incident Pagers

7 posts in this topic

Does anybody subscribe to any of the numerous brands of incident buff pagers? I subscribe to IPN, yet find it unreliable at times....does anyone know of a better service....also who dispatches these pages?

NINN.org isn't bad... (dispatch.ninn.org) - it varies though - sometimes a lot of pages, other times not a lot at all.

I think for NINN, it's just "certified buffs" that are accepted to dispatch calls and such.

try this www.eastcoastpaging and wireless.com i used to use them when i lived in rhode island.i know they have coverage in newyork city. :D

I believe there is one called the Breaking News Network. The service might be out of NJ.

Not exactly a incident paging system but both WNBC.com and CNN.com and EmergencyEmail.org offer breaking news alerts which can be customized to your preference, such as Disasters and Accidents (CNN), Acts of Terrorism and/or Severe Weather (WNBC) and a wide variety of other topics (Emergency Email). CNN and EmergencyEmail are more national and international, WNBC is more NYC area. These can be sent to email or phone (if you have text messaging). They have been reliable however you do have to put up with a few nonsense pages, the paging is not 24x7 and Westchester is not an area that is focused on. But, NYC is and I have gotten a few pages about breaking incidents and news stories. Didn't News12 setup a email/paging system for breaking news? I signed up and have never gotten a single email/page.

DRD

FF402, I know as far as IPN (Incident Paging Network) goes, members of thier network send out the "buff pages." I know i had looked into it and even had it for a short time. I used to have a Motorola Alpha/numeric pager before the nextels came out. I signed up on IPN because it was "free" up to a certain point. That was until i got my Pgenet bill and it was to the tune of approx. $1,200 lol!!! I didn't realize at the time (young and naive) that i didn't have unlimited alpha paging! I was able to talk myself out of that bill, but needless to say, i quickly cancelled my IPN subscription! But anyway, i didn't feel that it was a very reliable source of information. They relied on "buffs," who were listening to scanners, to send out pages. If people weren't listening to scanners, you wouldn't receive any pages naturally. Even when the pages were active, the info was sometimes old or inaccurate. The pages were mostly out of New York (the 5 boroughs that is) and never really incidents in Westchester, Putnam or Rockland. Anyway, hop that helped a little!

Unless your a Chief Officer of your department and have I-page "BNN" Breaking News Network is the way to go.