Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mlfcemt093

FDNY and FDNY EMS- Getting Along?

12 posts in this topic

Just wondering how the guys and girls feel about people from the ems side moving over to fire. I know the people working haztac ambulances get lots of respect from fire but can't say thats true of everyone else. I want to hear how everyone really feels, this is a real hot topic considering people have been fighting on scenes and it's in the public eye now and not just an in house thing....

i myself work in the nyc ems 911 system for a voluntary hospital. i work side by side with fdny fire dept and ems and from what i see both sides get along fine. we have different job descriptions. When it is a high priority call such as trauma, cardiac arrest etc an engine is assigned and the guys are always really helpful. so in the long run i don't see any problems.

It's been 10 years since the merge. It really depends on who you ask. From my end, we have a good working relationship. Some units out there have good relationships with each other. Other times it's not so pleasant. I think it will eventually get better, it's going to take a little more time.

What on-scene fight were you referring to??

Edited by JBE

i myself work in the nyc ems 911 system for a voluntary hospital.  i work side by side with fdny fire dept and ems and from what i see both sides get along fine.  we have different job descriptions.  When it is a high priority call such as trauma, cardiac arrest etc an engine is assigned and the guys are always really helpful.  so in the long run i don't see any problems.

I work the s bronx on a haz tac unit for the majority of the time I have had no problems but a few instances where my ems abality needed to stop the improper practices of a firefighter don't get me wrong plenty of friends who are on the other side some even my old partners and thats where I want to be but seems as if a couple of bad eggs spoil the bunch and I was looking for other peoples experiences

It's been 10 years since the merge. It really depends on who you ask. From my end, we have a good working relationship. Some units out there have good relationships with each other. Other times it's not so pleasant. I think it will eventually get better, it's going to take a little more time.

What on-scene fight were you referring to??

i'm not sure which borough queens brooklyn where the firefighter spat a racial slur @ the ems employee now i'm sure there's more to the story there always is but it needs to be kept off of scenes and the news paper the dept has enough problems being no raise has been givin to ems employees in 44 months

That's an isolated incident. There are going to be bad eggs on both sides, as you said.

EMS just got the new contract this week. It's still crappy pay. But better than nothing.

That's an isolated incident. There are going to be bad eggs on both sides, as you said.

EMS just got the new contract this week. It's still crappy pay. But better than nothing.

wait.....we got a new contract......thats the first i'm hearing what is some of the terms

i think the FDNY's biggest problem with their EMS division is the whole promotionary move to Firefighter. From what ive heard personally is that they see anyone from EMS moving to fire as getting a handout instead of having to go balls to the wall in an open competitive. Alot of FFs also feel strongly that the city should bring back NYC EMS because EMS and Fire are very different jobs.

i think the FDNY's biggest problem with their EMS division is the whole promotionary move to Firefighter. From what ive heard personally is that they see anyone from EMS moving to fire as getting a handout instead of having to go balls to the wall in an open competitive. Alot of FFs also feel strongly that the city should bring back NYC EMS because EMS and Fire are very different jobs.

ok where is the hand out?......the only "perk" is that instead of goin on a list w/ 30,000 other people is we go on a list of possible 200 people because we already work for the dept i still needed to pass the same physical i still needed to pass the same written and i still need to pass the same medical stair master heart rate so i am wondering y the fireman feel the emser's are the enemy? all we are looking for is the same pay and job security they have, and if some 1 is goin to bring up the point that u can still fail 2 physical agaility tests and get a bad score on the written i can tell u now now 1 is willing to get on the job @ any less of a score than the last guy because they would be marked for life so the people goin the "back door" are just as respectiful of the job as any 1 else

I can only hope and pray that that happens then I can go home and work,

It was a bad move, done for the wrong reasons. It should be a third service with very close ties to the health and hospitals corp. As far as it being a promotion that is an insult to every EMT and PARAMEDIC that was lost on that horrendous day. amd it wasnt a merger it was a hostile take over that NYC*EMS and the dept of health did not want...................CAR 4-CHARLIE REST IN PEACE CHIEF.................I AM NOT ANTI ANYONE I AM PRO EMS...............BE SAFE .....

Rudy had the merger kick in him then....NYC*EMS to FD, Transit & Housing PD to NYPD, traffic enforcement from DOT to NYPD...and, shall we say, the good/bad is still debated

ok where is the hand out?......the only "perk" is that instead of goin on a list w/ 30,000 other people is we go on a list of possible 200 people because we already work for the dept i still needed to pass the same physical i still needed to pass the same written and i still need to pass the same medical stair master heart rate so i am wondering y the fireman feel the emser's are the enemy? all we are looking for is the same pay and job security they have, and if some 1 is goin to bring up the point that u can still fail 2 physical agaility tests and get a bad score on the written i can tell u now now 1 is willing to get on the job @ any less of a score than the last guy because they would be marked for life so the people goin the "back door" are just as respectiful of the job as any 1 else

Well, i would offer you to speak to some firefighters from the FDNY and im sure they can give a host of their own personal reasons. I'm not in the FDNY, but speaking with those who are and reading through a number of posts on some websites the animosity twords EMS is very much alive. Likewise, what you see as a justified "perk" they see as an unjustified handout. Lets face it, FDNY EMS was the wrong move.