Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Severe Weather Alert - Heavy Rain

12 posts in this topic

Special Weather Statement

NORTHERN FAIRFIELD-NORTHERN NEW HAVEN- NORTHERN MIDDLESEX- NORTHERN NEW LONDON-SOUTHERN FAIRFIELD-SOUTHERN NEW HAVEN- SOUTHERN MIDDLESEX-SOUTHERN NEW LONDON-WESTERN PASSAIC-BERGEN- EASTERN PASSAIC-ESSEX-HUDSON-UNION-ORANGE- PUTNAM-ROCKLAND- NORTHERN WESTCHESTER- SOUTHERN WESTCHESTER-NEW YORK (MANHATTAN)- BRONX-RICHMOND (STATEN ISLAND)-KINGS (BROOKLYN)-QUEENS- NASSAU- NORTHWESTERN SUFFOLK- NORTHEASTERN SUFFOLK-SOUTHWESTERN SUFFOLK- SOUTHEASTERN SUFFOLK-

557 AM EDT THU MAY 11 2006

...HEAVY RAIN POSSIBLE TONIGHT THROUGH FRIDAY NIGHT...

A COMPLEX AND SLOW MOVING WEATHER SYSTEM IS EXPECTED TO BRING AN EXTENDED PERIOD OF RAIN TO THE TRI STATE AREA.

THE MAIN WEATHER SYSTEM WILL REMAIN CENTERED OVER THE OHIO VALLEY FOR THE NEXT FEW DAYS

...WHILE AN INITIAL FRONT WILL SLOWLY MOVE EASTWARD INTO OUR AREA. INCREASING ONSHORE FLOW AHEAD OF THE FRONT WILL BRING ABUNDANT ATLANTIC MOISTURE INTO THE REGION.

THIS WILL COMBINE WITH STRONG MID AND UPPER LEVEL ENERGY TO PRODUCE A SOAKING RAINFALL EVENT. SCATTERED LIGHT SHOWERS AND DRIZZLE ARE POSSIBLE TODAY

...BUT STEADIER RAIN WILL BEGIN LATE TONIGHT AND CONTINUE THROUGH FRIDAY AND FRIDAY NIGHT.

RAIN WILL LIKELY BE HEAVY AT TIMES. RAINFALL TOTALS THROUGH FRIDAY NIGHT ARE EXPECTED TO AVERAGE 2 TO 3 INCHES... WITH LOCALLY HIGHER AMOUNTS POSSIBLE. IF THE FRONTAL SYSTEM SLOWS DOWN MORE THAN CURRENTLY PREDICTED... SIGNIFICANTLY HEAVIER RAINFALL TOTALS WOULD BE POSSIBLE.

CONDITIONS HAVE BEEN RELATIVELY DRY ACROSS THE REGION DURING THE PAST COUPLE OF WEEKS...THEREFORE STREAMS AND RIVERS ARE GENERALLY RUNNING AT LOW LEVELS.

THE AMOUNT OF RAIN CURRENTLY FORECAST SHOULD NOT CAUSE SIGNIFICANT RIVER OR LARGE STREAM FLOODING. HOWEVER... FLOODING OF URBAN AND POOR DRAINAGE AREAS WILL BE A POSSIBILITY... ESPECIALLY DURING ANY PERIODS OF HEAVY RAIN. SOME SMALL STREAMS MAY RISE OVER THEIR BANKS AS WELL.

THERE WILL ALSO BE A SLIGHT CHANCE OF THUNDERSTORMS...PRIMARILY ACROSS NORTHEAST NEW JERSEY...THE LOWER HUDSON VALLEY AND NEW YORK CITY. ANY THUNDERSTORMS THAT DEVELOP WILL ENHANCE RAINFALL RATES AND INCREASE THE CHANCES OF URBAN OR POOR DRAINAGE FLOODING. THE AIRMASS IS NOT CURRENTLY EXPECTED TO BECOME UNSTABLE ENOUGH TO ALLOW ANY SEVERE THUNDERSTORMS TO DEVELOP.

AFTER THE INITIAL WAVE OF RAIN MOVES THROUGH

...UNSETTLED WEATHER IS EXPECTED TO CONTINUE THROUGH THE WEEKEND AND INTO NEXT WEEK AS AN UPPER LEVEL STORM SYSTEM CONTINUES TO MEANDER TO OUR WEST.

RAIN SHOULD GRADUALLY TAPER OFF SOMETIME SATURDAY...THEN SHOWERY CONDITIONS ARE IN THE FORECAST FOR SATURDAY NIGHT THROUGH SUNDAY. ANOTHER WAVE OF HEAVIER RAIN IS POSSIBLE MONDAY AND MONDAY NIGHT.

Thank god. Wash away this crap you call Tree Pollen. PLEASE.

Good call Was!!! This crap is killing me, my eyes are constantly itchy!

However, as much as we could use the rain, i can't help but hate, mostly in part because i have to work outside in it, oh well.

Stay safe everyone and try and stay dry!

sounds pretty bad... Be safe everyone!!! And yes wash away all that pollen

Im not alergic to pollen but I like the the rain while in school. Makes me feel like im not missing anything while in school. Dad is going to be working alot 2morrow for floods, head of Pelham DPW.

Drive Carfully!!!!!!!

At least it'll spare us from hearing the words "brush fire" for a couple of days.

I guess we will see if all the work they did this week on the SMRP in P'ville will pay off. It would be funny if it flooded after they open it and had to close it again. Any bets?????

At least it'll spare us from hearing the words "brush fire" for a couple of days.

great, now we get to hear "wires down" and "respond for a flood condition"!!!!!!

im still awaiting this heavy wind......the moment my head hits the pillow, i know we're going to get banged out for something

I work today all it means is a lotta MVA"s ,alotta backboarding and getting soaked..........repeat after me ..I LOVE MY JOB.....I LOVE MY JOB........I LOVE MY JOB...................BE SAFE

Winds, torrential rains lash Lower Hudson Valley

By WILL DAVID, ROB RYSER AND LESLIE KORNGOLD

THE JOURNAL NEWS

(Original Publication: May 12, 2006)

Heavy rains, wind and thunderstorms are lashing the Lower Hudson Valley this morning, flooding roads and other low-lying areas and causing scattered power outages.

• As of 8:15 a.m., sections of the Bronx River Parkway were closed from White Plains south to Bronxville due to flooding, police said, and parts of the Hutchison River Parkway in Mount Vernon and Saw Mill River Parkway in Hastings-on-Hudson were also under water.

• In Patterson a NYSEG crew was repairing downed power lines on Fair Street shortly after 9 a.m., forcing police to close a section from Terry Hill Road to Route 311.

• By 9 a.m. a total of 300 customers were still without power in Ossining, Tarrytown, Port Chester and White Plains. Scattered power outages were reported in Mount Pleasant and North Castle as well.

• About 7:20 a.m., a tree fell across Bryant Avenue in White Plains, forcing police to close the busy roadway between North Street and Mamaroneck Avenue.

• A busy east-west route in northern Westchester was also closed this morning while utility workers clear trees knocked on power lines by the storm. Route 133 between Seven Bridges Road and Crow Hill Road in New Castle was closed by police shortly before 7 a.m.

• About 5 a.m., a woman was reported trapped in her car near the Bronx River Parkway near the Hamilton Bridge, but county police said she got out of the car unharmed.

Police did not estimate when the road would reopen. Many low-lying and coastal roads were also at least partially submerged during the heaviest of the torrential downpours.

The National Weather Service also issued a flood warning for the Mahwah River in Suffern. The river is expected to crest at 4.5 feet by late this morning, 5 inches above normal levels.

At sunrise, winds were gusting from the east about 15 mph with higher gusts, and temperatures were only in the 50s.

AccuWeather forecasters said the rain should taper off to showers by midday, but would continue on and off through today and Saturday into Mother's day.