Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Built-In Coat FF Rescue Harnesses

5 posts in this topic

Does anyone in the area use the built in "firefighter down" coat harnesses?

I can't seem to find a reference or photos to this on the internet, but a local turnout gear repair company showed this to me while at our firehouse. It seems like a simple and great concept, and it's about $90 a coat to add it. It is accesed through a flap on the back top of the coat. It doesnt add much weight or bulk to the coat either. Instead of us all carrying webbing with us and trying to tye it in the dark and smoke, this seems like a better option.

Edited by ZeerR

VMFD purchased Globe G-extreme with the DRS( Drag Rescue System), is that what you are talking about, if so, they seem to be quite interesting, we've done a test with it and seems to be a replacement of the "scott pak harness" where you would use the waist straps between the legs to extract a downed firefighter.

Morning Pride also has the same option. not sure of cost for the item. We just received some with tthe option but have not drilled with it yet.

Morning Pride also has the same option. not sure of cost for the item. We just received some with tthe option but have not drilled with it yet.

We were the first dept. in the area to try the Morning Pride built-in harness system back in 2002. It's main use was for self rescue, not FF down. Its shoulder straps ran between the liner and the shell, the leg straps were kept tucked in the "tails" of the coat which would have to be released and connected en-route to the call, and the attatchment points were kept in each coat pocket, where a "T" for lack of a better term would have to be attached (again while enroute to the call). The carabiner or whatever you use would then be attached to this "T" and away you go. Sound simple??? Well it absolutely is/was not. And by the way, it adds a lot of weight to the coat, all the extra weight rested on your shoulders so working overhead was a joy, and when you got wet (which we do at most fires), you could really feel the extra weight. If you can't tell, I hated this harness. My company was the guinea pigs for the dept and we all quickly came to the conclusion this harness was not the way to go. After working a few fires with the harness and then soon after a few without, we all decided to take the harnesses out. Since then most of us have gone with the Gemtor and a bail out kit, much simpler and lighter. In addition to the added weight, the need to remember to make all the connections was a pain since we all have enough to think about. I'm not sure if they've made improvements/changes since then, so I can only speak of this system.

Jason I think you're confused the other guys are talking about the DRS (Drag Recovery System) aka FF Recovery Harness not an integrated rated harness system. Every manufacturer out there has one or will have one very shortly. The DRS will become part of this year's PPE NFPA change. I know that Lion Apparel (Janesville) has one that works awesome and last I knew they were planning on some small modifications before the NFPA change to make it a little more accessable. If anyone out there is planning on ordering new gear before the NFPA change I suggest adding this feature in now its well worth the $75.