Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
RWC130

Lifeline EMS @ OLM

14 posts in this topic

For those of you who may or may not know I spend most of my day working in the boggie down Bronx. In passing I have seen a lot of transport ambulances such as Metrocare, Empress, Citywide, Lifeline, the list goes on...

Recently I saw a Lifeline ambulance with the OLM logo and colors.

Do they have a OLM contract? Is it just for transports or 911 jobs too? I didnt see the FDNY Approved 911 Provider sticker so I just had to ask, Anyone know what's up?

I been out of the EMS loop for a little while.

For those of us out of the inner circle, what is OLM?

They have a contract with OLM private doctors office to do so called private emg. from doctors office to OLM ER. We the real OLM EMS had this contract but it Sucked so the department gave it up and life line took it. It's a BLS truck and if they need the Para Gods they call 911 like the rest do in the city. In terms of them using OLM EMS on the side of the bus, its going to take 1 accident for the hospital to have them take it off.

Wasn't it lifeline that just recently was involved in a fatal accident in the Bronx? The article I saw said Lifeline Ambulette, but I know thier ambulette division is called "Galaxy".

Does OLM itself still run 911 busses in the bx?

Mike

Yes we do, we run 4 BLS and 1 ALS, 15a, 15c, 15e, 27a, & 15v

During the crack war years and financial peril of the Bronx in the late 70's-mid 80's, (as well as the wonderful state of NYC during the Dinkins admin) OLM was also slangly known as: Our Lady of Misery.

I notice Lifeline ambulance have something that looks like a camera mounted on the front windshield, what is that? And howcome they have OLM and Westchester Ambulances parked there?

I heard those were "Impact" cameras....there exact operation or function I do not know, other than that that can be implied from the name.

They have OLM and Westchester EMS vehicles at Galaxy for maintenance/repairs. Galaxy has a division called American Ambulance & Ambulette repair-sort of a spinoff service division.

I can help you with the "DriveCam" as they are called. We are looking into deploying them into some vehicles at WEMS as well. They are a self contained video (and I believe audio is also an option) recording system with wide angle lenses that record the front of the vehicle and the inside of the drivers cabin, and are set off either by impact, sudden braking, or other sensible action that can be set by the owner. The recording can also be triggered by the driver. It can be invaluble in an accident as it can work for or against the driver (hopefully for) in the event of a collision and can cut down on the cost of both litigation and insurance claims.

These can also cut down on vehicle maintainence costs, because if they are triggered, you can pull the recording and determine if the driver was braking too hard, driving too fast, etc. This can cut down on frequency of brake replacement, gas usage, etc.

For more information: http://www.drivecam.com/

Apparently, the video footage includes an inside-vehicle shot as well....gives you the "oh s**t" look on the person's face, the Starbucks cup cradled in their lap sloshing over, dentures flying towards the windshield, etc.....

Yup. Very beneficial in determining if seatbelts were worn, if the driver was distracted, etc.