Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BedfordFire

Brewsters NEW hose truck

9 posts in this topic

I was at Somers parade last night and saw a new 2006 Ford F-650 or 750 series LDH supply truck with two giant reels in the back, and it appeared to be manufactured by Gowans Knight. If anyone could fill me in as to some specs of the truck, when it came in to service, etc that would be great.

Thanks!

Yes it's a 2006 Ford F 650, however the rear of the truck is the original

body from 1978 when the truck was originaly purchased. The refurb was

done by Gowans and Knight. The two reels hold 2,000 feet of 5 inch each

for a grand total of 4,000 feet. I believe the original builder of the truck

was Gruman. Truck has no pump or water just all the adapters and hose

needed for the long haul.

Hope that helped you out and answered all your questions.

I too saw that last night. Quite impressive. I had thought Brewter has gotten rid of that rig. It looked like the original reels on a new chassis.

Just out of curiosity, how fast can the hose be layed and then rewound?

I too saw that last night.  Quite impressive.  I had thought Brewter has gotten rid of that rig.  It looked like the original reels on a new chassis.

Just out of curiosity, how fast can the hose be layed and then rewound?

Brewster didn't get rid of it, it was just difficult to use. The original Ford chassis was a 5 speed manual transmission geared very low. It did not go anywhere fast. Also, the process of picking up the hose involves backing the vehicle while re-reeling. It was tough on the clutch as well as your left leg. The referb included an automatic transmission.

The hose can be SAFELY laid out at the the same speed LDH would come off an engine from a flat lay, but the lay is possibly better controled by the reel operator. (straighter as apposed to a spagetti run) Re-reeling is the charm and involves 3 to 4 FFs. Driver, reel operator, a FF to feed the hose on to the reel, and a FF to watch his back. We never put it to a chalange, but I would imagine picking up 4000' of 5" to a couple of reels on this truck would be easier done than onto the hose bed of an engine. :D

rjr

Edited by Q2BWail11

This truck caught my eye also - I like the idea but not having too much knowledge I have a few questions - It seems like this rig will save some time when trying to leave a scene but does it help any with the whole breakdown and wash process? Just curious. Also, is the reel motorized? Thanks.

Does Brewster, or anyone else who uses these reel trucks, drive over the hose when reloading (not on the hose!) or back up the whole time (risk of backing accident).? Also, what about some sort of small tank with a spray rig for cleaning?

Good luck with your new equipment. I'm sure it will serve you well.

I see that brewster got their hose reel truck back with a new cab and chasis and body refurbed and I also see that they got a new van. my question is what did the van replace, the curent F.P. van or the utility truck? Any info. would be greatly apprieciated. thanx, steve.