Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
calhobs

It could be a rough summer

21 posts in this topic

Its been a long time since we had on around 20 years I think the last one was Gloria in 86, we are overdue!!!

Some weathermen were saying a major hurricane will make landfall somewhere between New Jersey and Cape Cod this season. That would have a major impact in this area.

Lets hope nothing hits this area..

lets hope nothing comes anywere close to us

lets hope nothing comes anywere close to us

The remains of Floyd were bad enough with all the flooding, trees down, etc. Hope everything stays far away.

As much as I don't want to see anything serious around here, I think Florida and the Gulf Coast could use a break after all they've endured in the past couple of years.

Keep 'em all out to sea.....just send us enough rain to keep the drought conditions away! :rolleyes:

Hopefully we will not see anything. My parents had a rough year last year in pensacola florida. They had to rebuild their home. May god bless us all and keep us safe.

I couldn't imagine what fuel prices would rise to if we did have another natural disaster, might see $4.25 gal.......... I think it would be time to break out with the old schwinn and park the Harley too.

:)B)

I couldn't imagine what fuel prices would rise to if we did have another natural disaster, might see $4.25 gal.......... I think it would be time to break out with the old schwinn and park the Harley too.

:)  B)

$4.25 a gallon? hell with the way things are going we won't need a natural disaster to see those prices

$4.25 a gallon? hell with the way things are going we won't need a natural disaster to see those prices

It will be that by July 4th

The remains of Floyd were bad enough with all the flooding, trees down, etc. 

Can't forget um, Tropical Storm Floyd, in 1999. Almost had my chief's buggy swallowed up by the street during that storm (while I was in it).

No doubt in my mind that if even a CAT 2 were to rumble North over Fire Island you would have an archipelago of islands !

Bonus point for the exact date of the Hurricane which created the Shinnecock Inlet........ ;)

Some meteorologists want to create a category 6 hurricane

Here is a clip from The Weather Channel about the upcoming Hurricane season.

http://www.weather.com/multimedia/videopla...=wxcenter_video

Here is a recap of some of the things that they said in the clip.

13-16 Named Storms

8-10 Hurricanes

With 4-6 of those being Major Hurricanes which is 110mph or greater

Another above average season

This forecast also is pretty accurate

The first gentleman said that this forecast has an 80% confidence level of forecasts

Just something to point out about the severity of this upcoming Hurricane Season.

lets just hope there wrong and a storm doesn't comes up this way.

Well if it does happen, Summer wont be to hot this time and we can save some money our electric bills for the air conditioners. Lets still hope it dosnt come this way though. Rather pay the bill for electric, not someones life.

&

Stay Safe, Ecpecially on those wires and trees down in the windy weather.

Edited by NRFDTL11Buff

9/21/38

THE GREAT NEW ENGLAND HURRICAN DUBBED THE NEW ENGLAND EXPRESS

Well looks like we might get the great L. I . H. AKA the Long Island Hurricane. We are due for a 3+ in CT. again. The shore line will flood again, "cats and dogs living together, mass hysteria!!!!"

firebuff860 gets the bonus point ! :) , and llm60 on the rebound.....

But seriously folks, we definitely should hope that Mother Nature does not repeat the event which happened 68 years ago this Sept.... back then, no warnings were issued, today we would have time to evacuate. But all of LI heading West on the LIE ????? Oh boy.....

......Along the south shore of Long Island, the sky began to darken. The wind picked up, but oddly, little rain fell.

At 2:30 (PM), the full force of the hurricane crashed ashore, tearing off roof shingles, blowing doors and windows open, and snapping telephone poles in half like toothpicks. One bystander described "a thick and high bank of fog rolling in fast from the ocean. When it came closer we saw that it wasn't fog. It was water."

A surge of water and waves 40 feet high rolled over the coastal community, devouring beach homes, tearing them apart and then scattering the remains as it pushed inland.

The surge was so powerful, the waves actually registered on the earthquake seismograph at Fordham University in New York City.

The center of the hurricane passed about 100 miles east of New York City, but even the edge of the storm was powerful enough to cripple the city, leaving much of it in darkness.

The following day, The New York Times described the scene when the storm hit: "driving sheets of rain almost horizontally into the faces of the hardy few who ventured into the streets, while many thousands of people remained in their offices after hours rather than venture into the deluge."

Still, the hurricane plowed northward, moving at speeds of up to 60 mph. In fact, it was this incredible speed that kept the hurricane alive on its run up the coast.

At 4 p.m., the center crossed Long Island Sound and passed into Connecticut.

Before the hurricane made landfall, a front had stalled over New England, producing huge amounts of rainfall.

Now, with the hurricane dropping an additional 4 to 6 inches of rain over the Connecticut River Valley, rivers swelled to overflowing.

In Hartford, the river rose 33 feet above normal.

The greatest tragedy in the state, however, was in New London, where a short circuit in a flooded building ignited a massive fire.

Flames fanned by winds gusting to 98 mph consumed a quarter mile of the business district, while firefighters could only watch in anguish.

The next day, the Hartford Courant described September 21 as the "most calamitous day" in the state's history. One reporter wrote, "New Haven is still dark and battered. The heart of New London is in smoking ruins."

The hurricane pushed into Rhode Island, its winds in excess of 120 mph.

Those powerful winds squeezed the waters of Rhode Island's Narragansett Bay into narrow Providence harbor, sending massive amounts of water surging into downtown Providence.

At 5 o'clock, just as the business day was drawing to a close and workers were leaving their office buildings, water began rising around City Hall.

Panic ensued, as people leapt from buses and cars, plunging into water which quickly rose from waist to chin high. Where hours before they had calmly walked to work, now they fought against the fierce winds and churning waters.

Many were pulled to safety with ropes lowered from second floor windows. Others were swept up in the raging waters and drowned.

The marker on Providence's Old Market Building indicated a surge height of 13 ft. 8 inches, breaking the previous record by nearly 2 feet. Exchange Place was submerged in as much as 10 feet of water.

The hurricane charged northward across western New England, gathering the last of its strength for a final assault.

In Milton, Massachusetts, the Blue Hill Observatory recorded the second highest wind gust in history, a staggering 186 mph.

By 11 p.m., the storm had crossed into Canada and slammed Montreal. Though its winds had weakened, the storm was still powerful enough to cause widespread damage.

Then, only 8 hours after it had made landfall, the hurricane dubbed "The Long Island Express" because of its amazing speed finally lost its tropical characteristics and dissipated over Canada. ......

source: weather.com