Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ems-buff

Why not have a live scanner feed?

19 posts in this topic

For some time now i have been into the whole live scanner feed on the internet. And as of right now, i think that scanct.com doesn't have westchester fire anymore. So what i am thinking about do is see how many people on here would like to see a live scanner feed on here if it is reasonable. By that i mean if it doesn't cost the admin any extra fees to do so. I mean we have all of memebers on here from differant agences, and i think it would be a good idea. It would get more people to join and see what emtbravo as to offer. Not to mention Emtbravo i think might be the only one with a live feed of westchester. Which means that when people google or whatever a seach for a live scanner feed they can see all the interresting topics that we come up with, and people ( Non- Fire or Ems) would learn what we know and be smarter from it ( Ie: Why we get angry when people Don't yield when we are responding. ect, ect, ect), and also i see that alot of people are not using the chat room, so maybe we could put it over there, but before i get ahead of myself why not see how many people would want it and if the admin would like to do it?

I think it would cost money because that is alot of banwith but other then that...its a great idea. I hate how i cant listen into the county at school because of scan CT closing feed 4.

I think it is a great idea but I also think it is a lot of work to get it up and running on this forum I may be wrong.

Chris

I would love to see that if it doesnt put a burden on X635 or cost any money

I think it would cost money because that is alot of banwith but other then that...its a great idea.  I hate how i cant listen into the county at school because of scan CT closing feed 4.

UH-UH!!!! When you're in school you should only worry about SCHOOL! LOL

Seriously, though closing feed 4 was probably a pretty foolish thing to do.

maybe i'm missing something... but when did scanct take off channel 4? I was listening to it yesturday - - they also have under 'system update' that channel 4 should be operating better now?

maybe i'm missing something... but when did scanct take off channel 4? I was listening to it yesturday - - they also have under 'system update' that channel 4 should be operating better now?

its up again? they closed it down and stricktly made it FDNY radio about 2 months ago

Yes we all know that scanct.com Feed 4 is down, but i would like to know does any one know of anywhere else besides scanct.com if admit doesn't want to persue this, where we could listen to westchester fire feed, and i mean all of westchester ( ie Mt. vernon New Rochelle pelham yonkers all the people on 46.26 or like yorktown paramedics) and maybe even farther then that like rockland and duchess countys?

or

maybe even better then that if someone can tell me how to upload scanner feeds for my scanner to my computer we can have an Emtbravo audio arhives of major events like big fire's or stat-fight calls ect ect, something to that extent.

There is a lot of setup required to get a scanner feed going. You generally need to have a good broadband internet connection with a nice wide upstream connection. You also need a network to "broadcast" your feed like Shoutcast and Live365.

I highly suggest you read up on the whole idea at Wikipedia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_radio is a good place to start.

I believe feed 4, "All fire" of fairfield and westchester counties is back on scanct as of a few days ago. Its back!

I another way to get it. Shoutcast type in Westchester in the search box then it should come up.

Broadcasting a live feed can be very processor and bandwidth intensive depending on how many users you have listening. Most ISPs will either cap your upload speed or shut you down completely in short order for using that much bandwidth. Also, broadcasting is considered a server and almost all ISPs outright prohibit running a server of any kind on non-commercial accounts. Commercial accounts usually cost a small fortune and you may even be metered on the bandwidth anyway.

I believe feed 4, "All fire" of fairfield and westchester counties is back on scanct as of a few days ago. Its back!

Actually scanCT feed 4 is still only FDNY, at least it was as of 9:00 this morning.

I another way to get it. Shoutcast type in Westchester in the search box then it should come up.

The shoutcast feed is just playing off of the scanCT feed. You'll get FDNY either way.

EDIT

A website I found while searching around seems to be a good bet for Westchester feeds. Although the live feed section of it is not currently up, when it is, I think it'll be what alot of you have been looking for. Scan60.com

Edited by KFD Kid26

I barely have time to keep up with the photos and this forum, let alone a live feed, lol.

As has been mentioned, a live scanner feed is very difficult and time consuming to set up, not to mention expensive to host, since it consumes a ton of bandwith and usually requires a dedicated computer and reciver. Also, to monitor 60 Control given the diversity of the radio systems in Westchester and the way the transmitters are set up, makes recieving a feed tremendously tough to accomplish. I've looked into it extensively, and it's not possible for me to provide...HOWEVER.....

The webmasters at the above mentioned site are working hard on a feed, and that site should more then satisfy your listening needs. That's also the other reason we won't be provided a feed, as we reccomend that site.

www.Scan60.com was up and running yesterday !

It worked with White Plains and Westchester Fire

Give it a try :D

I see the listing of the feeds, but nowhere to actually listen to them. Does one have to register to hear the feed?

Yes. Once registered and signed-on, you will see an 'Internet Radio' pick list above the list of feeds. Choose a active one from the pick list and a window should pop with a player. Because of the limited resources we have right now, registration requires Administrator approval.

I see the listing of the feeds, but nowhere to actually listen to them. Does one have to register to hear the feed?

just registered...cant wait to give it a try!

scanct.com has set up Feed 4 for Westchester County and most of Fairfield County fire.