Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
nyemt131411

Lights during parades

17 posts in this topic

So, i'e read thru the siren thread going on - LOTS of different opinion and reason, all legit. My question is, what about lights? I've been browsing all the recent parade photo's ((Thanks to all for those!)), and it seems that there is no rhyme or reason to it. some parades no, some yes, and I belive it was the Mamaroneck pix where some were both on and off. Sorry - parade rules are not my thing, so if anybody can clue me in....

Personally, i'm for alot of lights - makes for good fun. Sirens - cool within reason, but if a rig had to break the line for a run (or whatever)...well let's just say it's like that Honda sitting in the WalMart parking lot with the alarm going off - do you really take notice, or just keep going by....

(NOTE: As for "the street", you can never have enough. I've come up behind people at times where, if I had the sun attached to the grill, they still wouldn't see us!!)

So, i'e read thru the siren thread going on - LOTS of different opinion and reason, all legit.  My question is, what about lights?  I've been browsing all the recent parade photo's ((Thanks to all for those!)), and it seems that there is no rhyme or reason to it.  some parades no, some yes, and I belive it was the Mamaroneck pix where some were both on and off. Sorry - parade rules are not my thing, so  if anybody can clue me in....

Personally, i'm for alot of lights - makes for good fun. Sirens - cool within reason, but if a rig had to break the line for a run (or whatever)...well let's just say it's like that Honda sitting in the WalMart parking lot with the alarm going off - do you really take notice, or just keep going by....

(NOTE: As for "the street", you can never have enough.  I've come up behind people at times where, if I had the sun attached to the grill, they still wouldn't see us!!)

Someone correct me if i'm wrong but to me it loks like when the lights are off int the Mamaroneck parade when the lights where off it looks like they where either in lineup positions or going to there positions.

Someone correct me if i'm wrong but to me it loks like when the lights are off int the Mamaroneck parade when the lights where off it looks like they where either in lineup positions or going to there positions.

Just about every piece of apparatus (Or is it apparatii) that had lights, had them on during the parade.

There is no rule about lights being on or off durring parades with the exception of if the lights are on they must all work. My department dosent run with lights durring parades so that if one bulb goes out we don't get penalized

Generally speaking, the rules regarding the use of lights and/or sirens are laid out in the rules and regulations for the parade. Host departments usually put together a packet that includes these rules as well as lineups, maps and any other pertinent information, and they are mailed to attending depts about a month or so prior to the parade. As far as the basis for the rules themselves, often times if it's an association parade, like HVVFA or RCVFA/WCVFA, the association already has rules in place that the host dept is expected to honor. If it's a local parade, the parade committee for the host dept would obviously be free to write the rules as the choose.

If the settings on the cameras arent correct, sometimes you can take a picture of the trucks even though their lights are on and not catch a single one of them blinking. Maybe thats why some look like their lights are on and some arent....

Well, thank you all for the info. yeah, i didn't even think about the camera. I've taken a few pics from a scene over the weekend, and it looked light they were all off. Oh well.....

thanks again!

Ok gonna state an opinion here so don't shoot me.

If your rig is a parade it should be out of service. I keep seeing you guys type "Well what if they have to respond to..." I would say if you need the rig to protect your town then it shouldn't be in a parade. It shouldn't be in a parade 20 miles away and it shouldn't be in a parde down the block. It should be in your firehouse. Now seeing as how I work for a career dept you all will probably think I'm anti this and that, but it just don't make sense.

Edited by CAM502

If your rig is a parade it should be out of service.  I keep seeing you guys type  "Well what if they have to respond to..."  I would say if you need the rig to protect your town then it shouldn't be in a parade.  It shouldn't be in a parade 20 miles away and it shouldn't be in a parde down the block.  It should be in your firehouse.  Now seeing as how I work for a career dept you all will probably think I'm anti this and that, but it just don't make sense.

Cam, I agree with about 99% of what you stated. Taking equipment, taxpayer funded no less far out of one's district is not a good idea and I have always maintained this belief for the 26 years I have been in the volunteer fire service. Fire trucks are meant to work and are not show pieces.

I do not see a problem however with taking in local parades where the rig can still be in service and be able to respond quickly. Parades are supposed to be a show of pride, a chance for the public to see thier FD and also an exciting event for kids but they have gotten out of hand over the years. Just my humble opinion.

I don't think taking a single truck to a parade, when you have plenty of other trucks to protect your district, is a big deal at all. Especially if it's only for a few hours.

That being said, I agree that once that truck leaves the district, it should be OOS. Responding from the parade, especially from within the line of march, just doesn't make sense (not to mention can be disruptive and dangerous). If your dept is that desperate for the truck to respond, then you probably shouldn't even be at the parade in the first place.

I don't think taking a single truck to a parade, when you have plenty of other trucks to protect your district, is a big deal at all. Especially if it's only for a few hours.

That being said, I agree that once that truck leaves the district, it should be OOS. Responding from the parade, especially from within the line of march, just doesn't make sense (not to mention can be disruptive and dangerous). If your dept is that desperate for the truck to respond, then you probably shouldn't even be at the parade in the first place.

i don't mean to get off the topic at hand here, and I'll probablly catch holy hell from alot of you men/ women out there, but with this topic moving toward's the area of responding,I could never understand why I see so many "Fire Chief's" car's from towns/village's so far out of their district it boggles the mind.Do they think they are going to go screamming through other cities and put alot of people at risk so they can haul a** 50 miles to get to their dept. If you feel you must get to a job,stay in your area, or pass the position to someone who lives or works in your area.The tax payers own those"Chief's car's" not the driver's.My 2 cent's

Getting back to the topic that was raised to begin with. The reason half of the pictures of apparatus in the mam'k parade have no lights on is that those pictures we're taken before the parade started while departments we're arriving at the parade or shuttling marchers to the start.

If your rig is a parade it should be out of service.  I keep seeing you guys type  "Well what if they have to respond to..."  I would say if you need the rig to protect your town then it shouldn't be in a parade.  It shouldn't be in a parade 20 miles away and it shouldn't be in a parde down the block.  It should be in your firehouse.  Now seeing as how I work for a career dept you all will probably think I'm anti this and that, but it just don't make sense.

CAM,

I agree with your statement concerning keeping vehicles out of service. In our town when we have a parade the responding equipment is kept out until the end - in this way if we need to respond we are responding without impacting the parade and I think most departments who send their equipment have it OOS anyway.

I do not think your going to get shot for stating a very good point - if you are part of the parade you typically do not respond to calls.

-E-

Wow that wasn't as brutal as I expected...lol.

The only way my dept would respond if we were in a parade is if it was local.. Were not going to go 5 miles away and be expected to respond.. Same thing with wetdowns.. We will only remain in service if it is local..

Edited by AS702

When we go to parades that are not real close or we take a lot of apparatus we always bring in a mutual aid dept to stand by until the first engine comes back.

sorry this topic kinda got sideways.....i was just curious about the lights! i'd say i got an answer and then some!! As for in service / O O S, I agree with the "no-go theory. If you are in the parade, you aren't responding from the line - way too risky. My company didn't really do parades, but even so, it would have to be pretty significant a call, to try and maneuver thru a crowded parade route to respond. Anyway, just my opinion - everybody need not agree B) that's the beauty of this site!

so, what's everyone think - this topic beat to death yet? :blink::mellow: