Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
WAS967

Putnam County ALS Provider

44 posts in this topic

Hearing rumors that Putnam changed ALS providers. Any word on if it's true or not? TIA

I work in the County, and rumors have been circulating every since PCBES began looking into ways to fix the response times on the eastern side of the county. No official word from the county is going to come until August/September.

Edited by 66Alpha1

Heard a rumor today that starting in about a week, Alamo's Putnam medic's 3 & 4 will be running staffed ambulances. (Medic/EMT).

Heard a rumor today that starting in about a week, Alamo's Putnam medic's 3 & 4 will be running staffed ambulances. (Medic/EMT).

thats part rumor part truth. The county has decided to address the problem of response time as part of the new ALS contract. Because of that, the County feels that a Medic/EMT ambulance on the eastern side of the county (medics 3 and 4) is more suitable, while the western side (medics 1 and 2) will remain w/ the flycar system. Does this take affect next week? To my knowldge, and i discussed this today with a number of people, thats not the case - the contract is still in the bidding phase w/ Alamo, Empire State and Transcare having put bids in and a decision on who this contract will go out to will be announced in August.

Transcare pulled their bid out, it is between Empire and Alamo

Transcare pulled their bid out, it is between Empire and Alamo

Any idea why Transcare pulled their bid?

Any idea why Transcare pulled their bid?

they were asked to bid as a formality b/c only empire and alamo had put a bid in...at least thats what i heard.

It was anounced yesterday that Empire will be the new provider effective in 90 days.

"Where and by whom?," he asked with skepticism.

PC414

That is the official word from both Bob Cuomo, and Alamo.

Who heard the official notice? Cause the agencies are not aware of it

Who heard the official notice? Cause the agencies are not aware of it

Give Bob a call he has confirmed for anyone who asks, also Alamo is calling the putnam medics to let them know,

Every commercial service bills as do many VAC's. Not everyone has tax districts supporting them. To characterize Empire as any different than any other EMS agency is unfair.

Edited by 92DLt

EMpire got the contract, Alamo was notified today officially. Heard Alamo will be out of County in 90 days

You still may see the medics, some may go with Empire. Meeting at one of the FD's last night said that with Alamo losing a lot of there contracts in Dutchess, they felt they would probably fold by the end of the year and that is why they went with EMpire. The only concern with EMpire I have in my opinion is they don't have too many medics, they are mostly transport medics, however i do know a few who have done 911 work. Hopefully most of the Alamo medics will work for Empire, their concern is the health benes, hear they are not so good.

You still may see the medics, some may go with Empire.  Meeting at one of the FD's last night said that with Alamo losing a lot of there contracts in Dutchess, they felt they would probably fold by the end of the year and that is why they went with EMpire.  The only concern with EMpire I have in my opinion is they don't have too many medics, they are mostly transport medics, however i do know a few who have done 911 work.  Hopefully most of the Alamo medics will work for Empire, their concern is the health benes, hear they are not so good.

The benefits are Oxford and the company pays full benefits for single and some of family. But is willing to help and work out what ever nec. for the current Putnam Alamo Medics to come on board. Just come in and talk.

Wasn't Empire in danger of folding a few years ago or something like that?

Wasn't Empire in danger of folding a few years ago or something like that?

You difinetly must be confusing Empire with another agency. Please before you make statements like this know the facts. Empire has been in business for over 12 years. Not only do they operate a 6 county lic., we have another company we own in long island. Which gives us another 3 counties. And beleive me when I tell you that the ownership of Empire has more then enough funds to operate for many more years even without making a profit. And just wait and see in the next few months when there are additional announcements that we have aquired another one or two companies. Once again if any of you are confused or unsure of Empire just come visit us and see the operation.

The concern for the putnam medics is the benifits as a whole. The medical benefits as well as time off,paid cme training, 401k, ect. When Alamo took over Sloper as a good will jesture they accepted your years with Sloper towards your vacation time with Alamo. So even though many of the medics have only been with Alamo for a couple of years some have over ten years of Vacation and PTO time. The other big one is the health benefits. Alamo has Health Quest medical insurance. Zero employee contribution for Single or family plan as well as Zero co pay if you use a Health Quest facility (Vassar, Putnam, NDH). You really can't beat the benefits. When you have a wife and three kids that is a BIG plus.That is the reason Why many of the medics would rather stay with Alamo then go with Empire and lose all their beniefits. No one said That Alamo ( The company)did a great job in Putnam, the question is did the Alamo medics do a good enough job to make up for the company. Because I am afraid the county as well as all the FDs and VACs have lost both. I know I as well as many of the other putnam medics will dearly miss all the friends we have made in Putnam over the years.

The concern for the putnam medics is the benifits as a whole. The medical benefits as well as time off,paid cme training, 401k, ect. When Alamo took over Sloper as a good will jesture they accepted your years with Sloper towards your vacation time with Alamo. So even though many of the medics have only been with Alamo for a couple of years some have over ten years of Vacation and PTO time. The other big one is the health benefits. Alamo has Health Quest medical insurance. Zero employee contribution for Single or family plan as well as Zero co pay if you use a Health Quest facility (Vassar, Putnam, NDH). You really can't beat the benefits. When you have a wife and three kids that is a BIG plus.That is the reason Why many of the medics would rather stay with Alamo then go with Empire and lose all their beniefits. No one said That Alamo ( The company)did a great job in Putnam, the question is did the Alamo medics do a good enough job to make up for the company. Because I am afraid the county as well as all the FDs and VACs have lost both. I know I as well as many of the other putnam medics will dearly miss all the friends we have made in Putnam over the years.

Fair enough I am sure if the medics are willing to meet with the Chief Operating Officer and The Director of Operations at Empire they will be more then willing to work out what is nec. to make it an easier for the medics to come on board. The current Putnam medics will be staying right where they are in Putnam County. We would be willing to accept the years of service towards vac time. The rest of your concerns should be addressed in person not on the internet. Unfornatley you will never know what we would be willing to do for you if you don't come meet us. I reccommend that all of you get together and call us with a couple of dates that we all could meet to work it out.

You difinetly must be confusing Empire with another agency. Please before you make statements like this know the facts. Empire has been in business for over 12 years. Not only do they operate a 6 county lic., we have another company we own in long island. Which gives us another 3 counties. And beleive me when I tell you that the ownership of Empire has more then enough funds to operate for many more years even without making a profit. And just wait and see in the next few months when there are additional announcements that we have aquired another one or two companies. Once again if any of you are confused or unsure of Empire just come visit us and see the operation.

YIKES - take it easy there guy.

I thought it was obvious from the post that I was not sure. That's why I asked. I was confused and unsure so I asked. Next time I'll come visit. Thank you for the invitation.

Edited by 23piraf

Well Alamo may have lost another contract in Dutchess tonight. According to the Town of Poughkeepsie web site under board agendas it says;

07-12-19 Authorize Alamo Ambulance contract - Termination

You can read that at:

Town of Poughkeepsie - Town Board Agenda

They are loosing ground very very quickly! Will Health Quest continue bailing them out?????

Anyone have any additional info on this new devolpment?

Jeeze, lets see, Empire State Ambulance, that would be the same company that when based out of Mahopac, interfered with local EMS agency's, almost abandoned patients and blocked Miller Rd with their ambulances so that the FD could not get through to extricate on a car accident. Personally, I do not like their reputation. I hope that they have changed, because if this is the way they are going to be then we are better off with Alamo.

Putnam Should stop buying land and make - Paramedic a civial service Job. We would attract and maintain our own Medic's. :o

Hudson Valley Regional EMS Council

259 Route 17K

Newburgh, NY 12550

Phone:(845)567-6740 Fax:(845)567-6730

E-Mail:hvremsco@hvremsco.org

6/6/05

9:30 AM

Meeting called by:

Hudson Valley Regional EMS Medical Advisory Committee (HVREMAC)

Type of meeting:

Quarterly Meeting

New Business

Craig Van Roekens, M.D.

Discussion:

A discussion ensued regarding a lapse in Empire State Ambulance’s narcotic license for the second time in approximately two years. It was mentioned that on May 11 notification was received from Empire State Ambulance stating that they had discovered that their license had expired on April 30, 2005. This resulted in an immediate suspension of Empire State Ambulance’s ALS status by both the Westchester and Hudson Valley REMACs. It was mutually agreed upon that upon reinstatement of the agencies narcotic license, an onsite visit would be conducted by the Westchester and Hudson Valley REMACs.

Notification has recently been received from Empire State Ambulance indicating that Michael Mastrianni Jr. has been appointed as the new executive director. Mr. Mastrianni addressed the REMAC and discussed his plans for resolution and prevention of future occurrences.

There was a brief discussion regarding hospital specialties. It was pointed out that a request was e-mailed to all EDs requesting verification of each hospital’s capabilities. Upon verification of the information, a list of capabilities will

be included in both the Regional ALS Protocols and Helicopter Guidelines.

Conclusions:

It was determined that Empire State Ambulance will be required to submit a written action plan regarding correcting and improving narcotic practices.

Before we start throwing stones. Every service has their problems. Volley agencies have been shut down and had their CON's suspended in our region, other Commercial providers have had serious narcotics issues in the not so distant past. Empire's problem had nothing to do with misuse or abuse of narcotics but was a paperwork error that delayed the renewal process. All narcs were accounted for and their were no deficiencies in their Part 80 plan. As far as interfering with Volly operations there are two sides to every story and I won't entertain the debate since we all know that this industry is full of ego and the majority of parties involved in whatever incidents you may cite have no more involvement with Empire State. It would be greatly appreciated if we could stop digging up old "issues" and focus on the future of Putnam County and the Company that Empire has become. Our doors are always open and you may stop by any time to see what actually goes on here.