Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
FF402

Does The Chief Care About Their Safety?

71 posts in this topic

Two things I would like to add.

Those who were in favor of this insane practice did get quiet fast. Why? Did you realize your inane way of thinking has no place in the fire service, or did you just get scared off? Its funny, I actually enjoy these threads, and they are the most read...

Second, 585 mentioned something about not going to LODD funerals for people that did something stupid. This touches a nerve in me as a flight paramedic, and I have had this thought more than once. (One of the more high profile accidents lately in the airmedical industry was because the crew was being STUPID. Period. Avoidable deaths.)

Its a great idea. But, where do we take it? Do we not goto the funeral of a brother/sister who was the overweight smoker? Hmm. Would be interesting. If you are not fit for duty, and you die, no benefits, no funeral. Ultimately, its a choice you made and we should not suffer for it. This is a pretty strong posture, I agree, but what if...

OK here's some food for thought.

You packing you 5 inch on the bed of your truck, you have members on top of the truck, 9 times out of 10 the truck is in motion either forward or backwards to aid in getting the lengths back up (i'm not talking about 1 to 3 but a long lay).

Same difference right and we all do that..........

Were is it all going to end?  Until something happens. period.

nope...trucks always in park

Wait this thread cant close with out me!! I just got back from Alaska. I have read each comment and believe me there a lot of them.

Plain and simple--- any apparatus Driver who allows any one on the apparatus in a not standard riding position is going to be sued(and lose) if some one falls off. period. any Chief of ANY Department that allows personel to ride in Any NON STANDARD POSITION WILL BE ADDED TO THE LAW SUIT. ANY COMMISSIONER, MAYOR, OR ELECTED OFFICAL REMEBER BEING STUPID IS NO EXCUSE YOU WIL BE ADDED TOO. AND DONT CLAIM YOU DIDNT KNOW THEY WERE DOING IT!! IT WONT WORK.

LETS NOT BE STUPID WE LOSE OVER 100 FIREFIGHTERS PER YEAR-- THIS WE CAN CORRECT.

Mabey the host department at parades should be required to have a bus to transport members. just a thought.

another thought- mabey the parade judges association should disquailify any department that is seen with men riding on the apparatus.

We want all firefighters to live to tell their grand children about the "good old days" so lets be safe--not stupid.

As I said in my previous post, the host department the other night DID and ALWAYS has had a bus to transport participants to the line-up.

first off it should not be a members choice, the Chief should just not allow it at all for any reason. Secondly the the gentleman that wrote something about training for the Chiefs, they just can't teach common sense, either you got it or you don't. Chief's/officer's elections unfortunately are a popularity thing more so then electing people that are actually qualified to do the job. I will admit I have been around for a while and have done some stupid stuff and fortunately I am still here to think back on what we used to do and how some changes have made things safer for all of us. It hurts enough to loose a firefighter in the LOD but losing one because of stupidity is immoral. A question for those departments that allow members to ride the back step or even the top of a hosebed - Do you guys still wear the 3/4 boots, rubber coats and those wonderful fireball gloves? I think we all need to look out for each other's safety career or volunteer.

Whoever rides on the rig doesn't have to it is their choice we can do what we want.  It is not as unsafe as you "experts" think it is. We deserved that trophy

screw you guys

I'm curious and maybe someone can help me here.

If you are riding on the back of a rig and fall off, will you received the same benefits as a firefighter who dies actually fighting a fire?

If you do - then point me in the right direction so I can start pushing for a change.  We should not reward stupid deaths the same way we would for those lost doing the right thing.

We all have to grow up and do what is right - sometimes it is hard, I'll admit it, but we got to step it up and make these changes - or we will be attending funerals that could of and should of been avoided.

There is no pride in going to a LODD funeral for someone when we could of avoided it.

SO ARE SAYING IF ONE OF YOUR MEMBERS DOESN'T PUT ON HIS SEAT BELT BECAUSE HIS MIND WAS PREOCCUPIED , BUT HE/SHE KNOWS THAT ITS THE RIGHT THING TO DO AND THE TRUCK CRASHES BECAUSE THE DRIVER WENT THROUGH A RED LIGHT BECAUSE HE/SHE WAS (RUSHING TO AN AUTOMATIC ALARM) AND THEY BOTH DIED YOU WOULDN'T ATTEND THE FUNERAL? THERE FAMILY DON'T DESERVE BENEFITS?

OR AN OLD TIME MEMBER WHO SMOKED THREE PACKS OF CIGS A DAY AND HE/SHE DIES FROM LUNG CANCER!!!

PEOPLE MAKE MISTAKES............BUT THEY STILL DESERVE HONOR AND PRIDE

Those who were in favor of this insane practice did get quiet fast.  Why?  Did you realize your inane way of thinking has no place in the fire service, or did you just get scared off? Its funny, I actually enjoy these thread

i just counted 35 posts in a row that know one was in favor of the action. Everyone was on the same page "Don't do it". Bring this info back to your department and change it. There wasn't anyone backing down, everybody was in a rant because of a kid or two.

Some one stated " the host department should provide buses to shuttle". Great Idea, for all the department that host parades that have been talking on this topic bring on the buses.

Edited by LCFD968

Im in the junior corps of bedford village, and I have to say i was appalled by the pics posted. Pride, image vs. what? safety? is there even an argument there? A firefighter dies every 3 days in the USA. i dont know how many of those are related to calls, or just sheer stupidity, but i have a feeling that stupidity is part of it. As much as I know im a newbie, im going to say you are an idiot if you choose to ride on the back of a piece of apparatus under any conditions.

well mabey there is hope for the young BFD Dave is right on.

The comic Ron White says it best"YOU CANT FIX STUPID" and thats what you are if you ride or allow any one to ride on the back of a fire apparatus,

Im in the junior corps of bedford village, and I have to say i was appalled by the pics posted.  Pride, image vs. what?  safety?  is there even an argument there?  A firefighter dies every 3 days in the USA.  i dont know how many of those are related to calls, or just sheer stupidity, but i have a feeling that stupidity is part of it.  As much as I know im a newbie, im going to say you are an idiot if you choose to ride on the back of a piece of apparatus under any conditions.

hey dave im also a probie at my dept. and i just gotta say that youtook the words right out of my mouth!!!

PEOPLE DONT BE STUPID DEAD FIREFIGHTERS ARE NO USE ON THE FIREGROUND!! AND IF YOU WANT TO RIDE ON THE BACK OF A TRUCK JOIN THE DEPARTMENT OF PUBLIC WORKS AND RIDE THE REFUSE TRUCKS!!! BECAUSE THATS WHAT YOU ARE GARBAGE!!!

SO ARE SAYING IF ONE OF YOUR MEMBERS DOESN'T PUT ON HIS SEAT BELT BECAUSE HIS MIND WAS PREOCCUPIED , BUT HE/SHE KNOWS THAT ITS THE RIGHT THING TO DO AND THE TRUCK CRASHES BECAUSE THE DRIVER WENT THROUGH A RED LIGHT BECAUSE HE/SHE WAS (RUSHING TO AN AUTOMATIC ALARM) AND THEY BOTH DIED YOU WOULDN'T ATTEND THE FUNERAL? THERE FAMILY DON'T DESERVE BENEFITS?

OR AN OLD TIME MEMBER WHO SMOKED THREE PACKS OF CIGS A DAY AND HE/SHE DIES FROM LUNG CANCER!!!

PEOPLE MAKE MISTAKES............BUT THEY STILL DESERVE HONOR AND PRIDE

No, I am not saying that. Pay attention!

If you choose to do stuff that can and will put you at risk for a needless LODD, then you should not be given a "heroe's farewell" nor receive benefits that SHOULD go to firefighters whom die doing the right thing! I don't think we should reward stupid behavior?

And to give out trophies for a shiny truck or a lot of members in line KNOWING that they partake in dumb things, such as riding atop a rig, is insane. Stop rewaring bad behavior and stupidity. Do we give kids candy when they run with scissors?!

id also like to point out to the people who rode on the rig at the parade that my dept also won a trophy. we did not partake in any dangerous activities, yet we all had a great time anyway - and took a nice shiney trophy home. if you are going to be intentionally stupid, it makes the rest of us look bad. So keep that in mind, even if you dont care about your own safety.