Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

Ardsley VAC Begins Construction Of New Building

6 posts in this topic

Today, while driving past the severly dilipapidated, cramped, and obsolete Ardsley-Secor VAC building on Legion Drive in Ardsley, I noticed they have set up a temporary cage for the ambulance, and have begun demolishing the current building (which used to be a bank in Mount Vernon before it was trucked to Ardsley for it's current use)

The new building will be a prefabricated building with a meeting room, storage and decontamination rooms, and 1 ambulance bay. Ardsley-Secor VAC has 1 ambulance, a 2001 Ford E-450/Lifeline Superline assigned to 50-B-1. Their ALS is provided by Greenburgh PD*EMS Car 75 which responds from Dobbs Ferry Hospital.

I'm not a member of Ardsley VAC nor have I ever been, but my grandfather helped start ASVAC in the 60's, and hellped arrange for their current building. Before the building that is being demolished now, when ASVAC first started, the ambulance was stationed at my grandparents house for a short period. So that is my connection.

Here are some photos that I took today (8-7-06). The current building is scheduled to be demolished this week.

post-11-1154980060.jpg

post-11-1154980076.jpg

post-2-1154980109.jpg

post-2-1154980113.jpg

y not put soem roof type structure to keep it from the elements??

Wow. I don't think I've ever seen that building. I can see why they want a new one. Good luck with the build.

Why not two bays, plan a little bit for the future maybe?

the village offered them space in the new fire house.... double bay, much larger space\storage\rooms @ NO COST to the VAC! They turned it down! They were to proud to be in the same building as the FD. All the village wanted them to do in exchange for the space was to commit to providing EMS to the Village Of Ardsley, which they didn't want to HAVE to do in turn for a free brand new building. Now they can't even afford to build the whole building, only enough for a section at a time. It is largely know in the village that they refused to be in the same building as the FD, so not enough money was donated to the VAC for a whole building. Also, the property is on NYC DEP property and an aquduct access plot, and the NYC DEP can reclaim the property at anytime.