Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
sbvfd596

Boston FD Helmets and Turnout Gear

5 posts in this topic

From watching the show on discovery, and seeing various pics online. i've noticed that half of the guys in boston wear full gear, and others don't. Also whats up with their helmets? they seem old, and stand out from a traditional leather

Unless its changed lately, Boston allows its firefighters to choose what they wear on their lower extremities. I believe the choices are: bunker pants and boots, uniform pants and 3/4 boots or uniform pants and uniform boots. This is evidentally an open ended trial period to determine the safety issues. For awhile BFD wore full bunkers and then saw an increase in heat related injuries and decided to test the issue inhouse. I'm not sure I agree, but I see the issue and would note that Chicago has yet to wear bunker pants. As for the helmets: leather New Yorkers are still pretty standard but I'll bet the "old" you're referring to is the helmet fronts that are made locally to Boston and look old when they're new. The Boston jakes do a hell of a job, but they're still a little behind in some ways, but you'll have to prove it by them. Hell, last time i was there, we saw guys standing in the open rear jump seat areas leaning out to see where they were going ona run!. As the new fully enclosed cabs take over I guess they'll have to sit down?

There was a discussion abouth this last year I beleive if memory serves me correctly. antiquefirelt is correct with the turnout setup. Boston did a two to three year study with full turnouts and 3/4 boots and long coats. If I can find the link again for the explaination of thier turnout policy I'll post it here. They study came about witht he overheating and exahustion of firefighters wearing full turnout gear.

Many members of Boston wear leathers and the helmet fronts are made by their apparatus shop and a few other people in the Boston area. I have purchased a Boston style fron from Donald Powers at the New England FIre Chief's show two years ago and have wore it since.

Boston is a very agressive FD especially when it comes to ladders. They'll put a truck anywhere and use it anyway to get to a building. You have to go up there ad buff when a triple decker is going (a typical New England style three story flat roof building built one floor onto of another) They you can truly appreciate the tactics. Very different for those of use used to the FDNY way of tactics though many are similar. Plus too, winter firefighting up there is a challenge in it self.

I know Paul Conway makes Boston style shields including inserts for the New York Shield with the Boston style numbers. We had an ex-member who wore one like that. But then again I wanted to spec our new gear out with the BFD (F & D inside the holes of the B) logo on the back like Boston wears, but no one else liked the idea.

is that show still on Discovery? I havent seen it in a while.