Monty

Apparatus MVA, driver cited

9 posts in this topic

From Tucson Citizen

Tucson Citizen

Firefighter who drove overturned fire truck cited by police

By DAVID L. TEIBEL

Published: 07.25.2006

The driver of a Tucson fire engine who overturned his truck while making a turn Monday was cited by police today on suspicion of failure to reduce or control speed to avoid an accident, a police spokesman said.

The truck's driver was swerving to avoid a motorist who had stopped in the intersection of North Stone Avenue and Fort Lowell Road as the fire engine approached, said Sgt. Decio Hopffer. The car's driver left the scene Hopffer said.

Capt. Paul McDonough, the Tucson Fire Department's spokesman said the truck was driven by Engineer Hasan Dilic, who has been with TFD for six years and an engineer for the past year.

Dilic was headed north on Stone to Prince Road with its emergency lights and siren on, authorities said. His estimated speed was 25 mph.

Hopffer said today that the light was red for north, south traffic and green for east, west traffic, which included the car stopped in the intersection.

Dilic turned right onto Fort Lowell to avoid the car, began to go into a slide and overturned, ending up on its top, Hopffer said.

McDonough said the truck did not make contact with any other vehicles when it crashed.

The truck's five crew members were taken to a hospital for treatment of non-life threatening injuries. They are Capt. Jim Saunders, Firefighter, Paramedic Keith Cubberley and firefighters Casey Tribolet and Mike Pursley.

McDonough said Monday that the crash totalled the 10-year-old, 40,000-pound truck, valued at $450,000.

An earlier story on the subject is at the Arizona Daily Star

Published: 07.25.2006

Fire engine overturns at intersection

By Alexis Huicochea

ARIZONA DAILY STAR

View a slide show of the accident.

Five firefighters were injured and a Tucson Fire Department engine was totaled Monday morning when the vehicle rolled over on the way to a medical call, officials said.

Engine 20 was responding to a call about an 83-year-old man with chest pain in the 1100 block of West Prince Road with lights and sirens when the accident happened around 10:50 a.m., said Capt. Paul McDonough, a Tucson Fire spokesman.

The fire engine, which was being driven by an engineer and was carrying a captain, a paramedic and two firefighters, was headed north on North Stone Avenue when it made a right turn onto East Fort Lowell Road, officials said.

For an unknown reason, the 40,000-pound truck tipped over, landing on its roof in the eastbound lanes of traffic.

Peter Cunningham, the owner of Heaven Sent Auto Sales on the corner of Stone and Fort Lowell, said he saw the engine overturn.

"The engine was making a right turn and I saw it slowly tipping over, but it looked like it would balance out and be OK," he said. "Then it just toppled over. I'm not sure if it was trying to avoid something or what."

The engineer was trapped and Cunningham helped get him out, he said. The captain was in excruciating pain, and Cunningham said he did all he could to keep him calm.

"He was breathing heavily, and I tried to get him to slow down," Cunningham said. "I held his hand and let him know that I was praying for him."

All five men were taken to a hospital for treatment of non-life-threatening injuries, McDonough said. They were all wearing their seat belts.

Another fire engine responded to the medical call that Engine 20 was originally sent to, McDonough said.

The Tucson Police Department was on the scene, trying to determine exactly what happened and if any citations would be issued, said Sgt. Decio Hopffer, a Tucson police spokesman.

The engine is worth $450,000 including equipment, McDonough said. Any equipment that will be reused will have to be tested before it can go out into the field, he said.

The incident will be reviewed by the Tucson Fire Department's Accident Review Committee, McDonough said.

The name of the engineer who was driving will not be released until his family has been notified, McDonough said. The engineer has been with the department since 2000.

The last time a fire engine overturned was five years ago in the area of West Speedway and North Silverbell Road while on the way to a fire at a fast-food restaurant, according to Arizona Daily Star archives. That vehicle has since been refurbished and is back on the streets, McDonough said.

Monday's accident shut down the intersection for several hours.

View a slide show of the accident.

● Contact reporter Alexis Huicochea at 629-9412 or ahuicochea@azstarnet.com.

l139267-1.jpgl139267-2.jpg

I bet if they weren't wearing seat belts, it would have been a different story.

Also, interesting to hear the PD's take on the situation. I seem to remember reading about Phoenix having some issues with PD too. I guess we're lucky around here, although I do know one guy upstate who was ticketed by NYSP while he was responding in a mini pumper.

There are some more photos, both before and after of this unit on Firepics.net. Drive safely, and wear your seatbelts. Remember, according to the article, the Engine was only traveling at about 25 mph.

Here is the link: http://www.firepics.net/groupboards/index.php?showtopic=720

Edited by grumpyff

A story from Firehouse.com regarding emergency driving:

Tucson Engine Overturns with Five Aboard

Updated: 07-27-2006 01:28:07 PM

ERIC BROOKS

Firehouse.com News

Captain Paul McDonough of the Tucson Fire Department in Arizona confirmed that one of his department's fire engines was totalled in a July 24 morning accident. Responding to an emergency with its lights and sirens on, a white vehicle impeded the engine's path by making a dead stop at the intersection of Fort Lowell Road and North Stone Avenue.

The engine's driver pulled to the right of the vehicle as part of an evasive procedure, causing the rear to slide and the entire vehicle to roll over, landing on its side.

Fire crew personnel Hasa Dilic, Keith Cubberly, Mike Pursley, Casey Tribolet and Jim Saunders were all hospitalized with non-critical injuries. Four of the crew have since been released. All five members were wearing seat belts.

The Tucson Police Department cited driver Dilic "on suspicion of failure to reduce or control speed to avoid an accident."

McDonough said police told him the white vehicle driver would have also been cited had it not fleed the scene.

The engine was a 40,000 pound 1996 Spartan, soon to put in reserve. McDonough said the department will test most of its equipment in an effort to salvage parts.

Tucson Engine Overturns with Five Aboard

The engine's driver pulled to the right of the vehicle as part of an evasive procedure, causing the rear to slide and the entire vehicle to roll over, landing on its side.

The Tucson Police Department cited driver Dilic "on suspicion of failure to reduce or control speed to avoid an accident."

McDonough said police told him the white vehicle driver would have also been cited had it not fleed the scene.

SO...let me get this right...the FFgets a ticket because they THINK

He didn't try to avoid the moron in the car? Then what's the evasive driving about? AND,speaking of the moron in the car- a FIRE TRUCK flips over in the street-,nobody sees this idiot in the road? Yeah-jump right in an ticket the FF...brilliant.

With out all the facts it's impossible to pick apart the article.

The point that should be made is just because you have red lights and siren and have the ability to bread the rules of the road doesn't mean you will get off free should something go wrong. Every intersection should be approached with due caution and never assume others on the road will see and hear you.

Hard to understand what wrong on this one without knowing all the info. road conditions, truck speed etc. Anyway it should serve as a good example to all to wear your seatbelts at all times. I'm glad to hear that all the FF's involved were released from the hosp.

i know i know, just a little road rage moment there. . just a flashback. I've had similar situations (without the crash) - the guy blocking the road actually flipped us off and threw his soda out the window at us!

There's also some information and pictures on the board here.

I think maybe the tpoics were magically merged? Or I just hadn't had enough coffee this morning and scr*wed up. B)

Edited by Monty

As Truck 6018 stated you are still required to drive with due regard. It stated in the first post that the rig was travelling at 25mph and was planning to make a right turn anyway. Any competent driver can tell you that is too fast to make a turn with an engine loaded with hundreds of gallons of water. Never mind the fact he should have been stopping for the red light before proceeding through the intersection.