Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

New Canaan Ladder 3

25 posts in this topic

Hello

I attended the 125th Anniversary Parade for the New Canaan Fire Department and I was wondering what kind of Ladder they had before the current 2003 Seagrave Ladder 3.

Also If anyone has a picture,I would greatly appreciate it.

thanks

walter

Well, i am not sure about the old truck but for anyone who wants to see, this is their new one. Kind of looks like Pelham's ladder 2.

(sorry for the bluryness, i had it looking good but it was too big so i had to hack some of the quality out :angry: yall get the idea though)

post-438-1154317952.jpg

Edited by Firefighter57

They had an old American LaFrance stick. Im not sure of any other details.

niteworkers,

send me your e-maill address on here or PM me. I have large pictures of it that will not fit on here.

it was a 1975 ALF midship ladder

I believe it was a 1973 mid mount 100' American LaFrance

Thanks for all the information guys

DSC00424.jpg

My picture of New Canaan Ladder 3 at their 125th Parade.

Well, i am not sure about the old truck but for anyone who wants to see, this is their new one.  Kind of looks like Pelham's ladder 2.

(sorry for the bluryness, i had it looking good but it was too big so i had to hack some of the quality out :angry:  yall get the idea though)

Yeah Doug, Looks exactly like Pelham ladder 2.

Yeah Doug, Looks exactly like Pelham ladder 2.

The old L-3 Was a 1975 American Lafrance 100' Midmount with a 1500 gpm pump. The ladder had structual issues found during annual testing. and was replaced

Picture of pelham Ladder 2. Anyone have one?

http://www.nefirenews.org/ne/PelhamNHL1.jpg

I also came across this, the old Pelham Ladder 2 was bought by Pelhma, NH and is currently their Front line ladder.....nice to see the old Seagrave being used and still in the area.

Thanks for the pics niteworkers. Great to see a truck like that not go to waiste.

Any reason why Pelham ladder2 only has one set of outriggers? I know New Canaan ladder3 has two sets. Just wondering because there the same truck.

We had an American La France 100 foot mid-mount light duty ladder. It had a 1500 GPM pump and a four man cab. I believe it was made in 1973.

It was replaced by a Seagrave Low Profile rear mount. It has a 100 foot medium duty ladder, six man cab and no pump. Made in 2002.

whatever happened to new canaan's maxim f series engine, american lafrance engine & seagrave anniversary series engine when they replaced them in the late 90's?

I was up infront of the New Cannan Ladder at the Somers parade....it was pretty sweet talking to the guys about the rig and seeing how cool it is.

Edited by bvfdjc316

whatever happened to new canaan's maxim f series engine, american lafrance engine & seagrave anniversary series engine when they replaced them in the late 90's?

The maxim is still in town privately owned. The American LaFrance was scraped. The 1959 Seagrave is in town. It needs an engine rebuild.

I saw New Canaan's 1975 ALF mid-mount today. It is privately owned now, and lives in the same building with Ossining's old Maxim mid-mount, and Thornwood's Mack CF engine, although not all are owned by the same guy. Nice looking rig, it is.

that's incredible that so many retired machines from 1 dept are still in the area. what does "old faithful" currently own & anyone have any photos of these old new canaan engines (& truck)?

I love the look of the low profile seagraves its too bad Mt Vernon's is still fairly new and oos.

that's incredible that so many retired machines from 1 dept are still in the area. what does "old faithful" currently own & anyone have any photos of these old new canaan engines (& truck)?

Old Faithful has two engines from New Canaan. 1922 Seagrave 750 pumper, and a 1953 Ward Lafrance pumper. For Ladder 3's wetdown we pumped the ladder pipe with the 22 Seagrave. There photos on our website. www.NewCanaanfire.org They also have a 1924 American Lafrance pumper (Nutley NJ) and a 1928 Seagrave hose wagon (Malden Mass). In town a member is restoring the second ladder 3. A 1949 Seagrave 65' ladder, 750 pump. I have Squad 4 a 1941 Diamond T with a 250 pump 200 gallon tank. and another member has Engine 2 a 1959 Seagrave pumper.

thanks car 11, if you've got any photos of your old machines i'd enjoy seeing them in particular your squad 4. i don't think i've ever seen that. what did you guys use that for? has the new tanker been ordered yet & E1 is getting a little old. any replacement being discussed?

I saw New Canaan's 1975 ALF mid-mount today.  It is privately owned now, and lives in the same building with Ossining's old Maxim mid-mount, and Thornwood's Mack CF engine, although not all are owned by the same guy.  Nice looking rig, it is.

where did you see those trucks...i would love to know where Engine 88 is being kept...that was the best truck we ever had