Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ldrco195

The Truck Co.

11 posts in this topic

Having a truck getting it done? :huh:  :huh:

You do not neeed to have a truck to do truck work...but it does make it look good.

An old friend once told me:

"You can teach a monkey how to squirt water, but you cannot teach that monkey how to be a GOOD truckie."

John Murray - volunteer of the fifth.

That is the truth. It comes with experience, education, and the drive of not wanting to go back later for a "repeat performance", which can be more dramatic and more dangerous than the first. The reasons that most go back for a second show, is that it was not put out the first time. Why was it not put out? The "truckies" did not do it right the first time. Yea the engine is needed for their waaadddder but the truckies have to make those hot spots found. Yea there is alot more to it than just that but I think we all get the point.

I agree that there are companies that are buying a ladder, tower, etc and overnight "voi’-la" We are a truck co. NO george, it don't work like that. It’s like being in the limo business then over night you buy a couple trucks and you are now a trucking company...it does not work that way.

If you have educated your guys prior to the purchase of said ladder truck, and they have been acting as the "truck co" ligitamately, and they have been relied on to do the "truck work", but not just T-W, GOOD T-W, at numerous previous fires and have made themselves known for that and have proven so. Then when you get that new 750,000 TRUCK you are in the truck'n bidnezz.

Otherwise, if you get that 750,000 TOY / QUINT / LADDER / TOWER, and have not proven yourselves, and are not known at all for it. then that’s all it is...A TOY / ENGINE, real expensive one at that.

If you are going to claim that you are a truckie, you better have the a** to back it up kids...cause when some relies on you to:

- Search above the fire without the protection of a handline and only carrying a hook and can.

- Go past the fire room / floor to go rescue the trapped person / kids without a line.

- Control the utilities.

- Advise of roof AC units on commercials.

- Get those ladderssssss (1-2 does not constitute a truckie 6-12 does, more the better) up, properly placed by yourself, cause your an undermanned ladder company.

- Vent the roof

- Vent the floor of the fire without endangering others.

You better be ready and not hesitate. They are relying on some of the most experienced and educated guys to get it done with out a complaint or worry !!!

Be one before you get one...

That is all !!

Stay Safe.... 2.5 gallons is better than none B)  B)

Was there a purpose to this post?

Edited by 210

here here, I smell what you're cooking, u can't just get a truck and expect to be a truck co. Truck co ops takes a lot of training and experience to be proficient. It requires a lot more split decision thinking, if you vent, search, or look in the wrong place, it could cost someone their life. And that someone could be one of your brothers.........are you ready?

Edited by PFDLT178

You must be on top of your game to ride on the truck and be very well trained.

I did not take offense, nor should anyone else, to this, but was this desiginated towards a specific company?

What young firefighters should know is that ALOT of how they are perceived begins with their ATTITUDE. KNOW IT ALLS have no place in the fire service, especially todays where the fires are less and less. New firefighters should be humble and want to learn from those that have been around and experienced first hand what it is like to operate when the S*() is hitting the fan.

THE TRUCK COMPANY is so very important at the scene of a fire or emergency. Ride around in your shiny new truck or whatever, but if you dont know what end of the halligan tool is what you are a FOOL. A good truckie is made from experience, not watching fire videos or Backdraft over and over again...Call yourself what you want, but if you dont have the experience of cutting roofs, forcing doors, searching the fire apartment or floor above, climbing the aerial, forcing bulkhead doors, cutting roll down gates et etc...please do not call yourself a TRUCKIE. And once again, be HUMBLE because you can learn something new everyday in this business, any HONEST TRUCKIE would say that!

And to our brothers and sisters in the ENGINE....I havent seen a fire go out yet without WATER...You can throw all the sayings out the window about CANCEL THE ENGINE because if anyone has appreciation for the fire service, we all KNOW how good it feels when the water is on the WAY!

Stay safe all...

true that...sounds like more good wisdom from the 16th!

What young firefighters should know is that ALOT of how they are perceived begins with their ATTITUDE.  KNOW IT ALLS have no place in the fire service, especially todays where the fires are less and less.  New firefighters should be humble and want to learn from those that have been around and experienced first hand what it is like to operate when the S*() is hitting the fan.

THE TRUCK COMPANY is so very important at the scene of a fire or emergency.  Ride around in your shiny new truck or whatever, but if you dont know what end of the halligan tool is what you are a FOOL.  A good truckie is made from experience, not watching fire videos or Backdraft over and over again...Call yourself what you want, but if you dont have the experience of cutting roofs, forcing doors, searching the fire apartment or floor above, climbing the aerial, forcing bulkhead doors, cutting roll down gates et etc...please do not call yourself a TRUCKIE.  And once again, be HUMBLE because you can learn something new everyday in this business, any HONEST TRUCKIE would say that!

And to our brothers and sisters in the ENGINE....I havent seen a fire go out yet without WATER...You can throw all the sayings out the window about CANCEL THE ENGINE because if anyone has appreciation for the fire service, we all KNOW how good it feels when the water is on the WAY!

Stay safe all...

VERY WELL STATED,

AS A STATE FIRE INSTRUCTOR, I HAVE SEEN MANY A "TRUCKIE" CARRY A HALLIGAN, AND THEN SPIN IT LIKE A BATON WHEN IT CAME TO PROPER PLACEMENT FOR FORCING A DOOR. TRAINING, TRAINING AND MORE TRAINING. 2AM, PEOPLE TRAPPED, HEAVY SMOKE CONDITION, THATS NOT THE TIME TO LEARN.

To be a true Truckie, You have to have it in your heart. Everyone things you join the Truck Company and your are a truckie. There is a lot your need to learn, practice and teach your brothers. When your getting ready to open a roof you better know where to cut, when to cut and how to cut. Its not a game. Get up on that roof vent and get off. No playing around. Not only do you have to know venting but many jobs come up for the truck comapny, search and rescue, overhall and you better know how your trucks works and where everything is. I believe it takes a special kind of person to be a true truckie, like I said your have to have it in your heart. I am with a truck company, and when have a group of youngs guys that are great, everyone knows each, drill together and we all work well together. Be safe brothers.... TRUCKIE FOR LIFE!!!!!

Don't forget you have to have more time on the roof than santa :)

Don't forget you have to have more time on the roof than santa  :)

"Up on the roof top quick quick quick, hearing the chainsaw of good old Rick!" :D