Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mustang22_2002

FDNY Fitness And Medical Exam?

20 posts in this topic

DOES ANYBODY KNOW WHAT CONSISTS OF THE FITNESS AND MEDICAL PORTIONS OF THE HIRING PROCESS ?

DOES ANYBODY KNOW WHAT  CONSISTS OF  THE FITNESS AND MEDICAL  PORTIONS OF THE HIRING PROCESS ?

stepmill/ heart rate, hearing, sight, pulmonary function test, FIT Test, cbc drawn, ekg, and doctor evaluation...I think thats it...

DOES ANYBODY KNOW WHAT  CONSISTS OF  THE FITNESS AND MEDICAL  PORTIONS OF THE HIRING PROCESS ?

Medical:

Full blood Work and Drug Test

Eye Test

Hearing Test

Vitals

Lung Function Test

Stair Master Test.

EKG

Those are the main ones that I can remember. This is done after you have completed all the other stuff.

If you pass the physical agility and you aren;t using any drugs, very few peopel are removed durring the medical eval. Its serves more as a baseline for your medical portfolio.

ny10570,

As far as people failing the medical, there are still alot of people that do fail it.

Eye test - You can't wear glasses, if you fail the test then you would have to get Surgery. After you get the surgery then you can try again.

Stair Test - There are still a good amount of people that fail this with the heart rate getting to high.

WHAT ABOUT CONTACTS?

LEGENDARYDOM,

There are not Contacts or glasses allowed for the eye test. They will check for Contacts

Eye test - You can't wear glasses, if you fail the test then you would have to get Surgery.  After you get the surgery then you can try again.

That's illegal, there is no fire department in the US that can fail you wearing corrective lenses, however they can prohibit you from wearing contacts on the job but not glasses. Plus they can not force you to go for corrective surgery either just to get a job. Check on this, not saying you don't know your sources but this is definately a discriminatory action and a major leagal battle can come out of this and the department will lose too.

IzzyEng4,

I am 100% correct on the contacts and eye glasses. You must pass the Eye test without them to get hired. If you fail the Eye test then you can get the surgery and come back.

As far as legal issues, I am no lawyer, so I have no clue. However in the past the city has been able to get around things like this, such as the age limits.

I work with plenty of people that had to get surgery and missed a few classes before they could get hired...

As far as contact and use of eye glasses once you are hired, it is ok to use them. So if you can pass the eye test but you do wear glasses you fine to use them..

I called today and he is right no glasses or cotacts , I still don't see how they get away with that (against the disibility act) . must have 20/50 vision in eaach eye

Anyone know what the academy is like ?

Does anybody know when the Physical Exam is in relation to the written exam?

IzzyEng4,

I am 100% correct on the contacts and eye glasses.  You must pass the Eye test without them to get hired.  If you fail the Eye test then you can get the surgery and come back.

As far as legal issues, I am no lawyer, so I have no clue.  However in the past the city has been able to get around things like this, such as the age limits.

I work with plenty of people that had to get surgery and missed a few classes before they could get hired...

As far as contact and use of eye glasses once you are hired, it is ok to use them.  So if you can pass the eye test but you do wear glasses you fine to use them..

Several guys I work with had the surgery in order to get the job as well...

I was wondering what the academy is like and what to expect if I do get the oportunity to attend it .

That's illegal, there is no fire department in the US that can fail you wearing corrective lenses, however they can prohibit you from wearing contacts on the job but not glasses.  Plus they can not force you to go for corrective surgery either just to get a job.  Check on this, not saying you don't know your sources but this is definately a discriminatory action and a major leagal battle can come out of this and the department will lose too.

Its not illegal...it happens all the time in the Airline industry...as well as the Airforce...if you dont have 20/20 or better, kiss the job goodbye unless you want corrective surgery

Its not illegal...it happens all the time in the Airline industry...as well as the Airforce...if you dont have 20/20 or better, kiss the job goodbye unless you want corrective surgery

All you need for the fdny is 20/50 in each eye with out glasses or contacts , I called down there and found out

I called today and he is right no glasses or cotacts , I still don't see how they get away with that (against the disibility act) .    must have 20/50 vision in eaach eye

Anyone know what the academy is like ?

Agree to a point but where do you draw the line on a" disability act" issue? Your applying for a job that requires strict physical standards. If you have a physical disability is applying for a firefighter postion in a large and busy dept such as FDNY really reasonable? Where does the dept draw the line on standards? It's not just an eye issue it's any physical condition. There has to be a cut off point at some point for any physical capability.

As someone who wears glasses, I take offense to this. Does wearing glasses mean I am less of a firefighter then someone with perfect vision? How much can any of us really see in the smoke anyway? Do I need to identify the pattern of the wallpaper, or just know it is a WALL?!

Stupid rule.....period.

its only 20/50, you don't need the best vision in the world.

Remember585,

Remember there is a lot more that goes on then what happens in the smoke. Having worked with a couple of guys who just passed the eye test but they need glasses or something, it does make a diffrence.

I have had a case when we ended up in the building across the street because someone read it as 101 instead of 100. Or they couldn't see the numbers on the building/stairwell. There are plenty of reasons to have good eyes.

Remember if you can pass the test without assistance, you can wear glasses after you are hired.