Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Westchester Community College Fire Science?

9 posts in this topic

Has anyone else heard about the fire science program being brought back to

WCC? I thought i heard fall 2006

I thought so also. I filled out a survey sometime back in regards to the cirricullum. I would also like to see emergency management as well.

I was at WCC Valhalla Bursars office today. I asked and they knew nothing about Fire Science Classes for the Fall. I will investigate further K.

Hopefully they use reputable instructors if they venture into the fire or emergency management arenas. I attended classes at an upstate community college and most of the students knew more than the so-called professor - complete waste of time and money!

My advice if you are really interested in this field, is to not take it at WCC. I am sorry to hang the program before it starts, but if you are really interested you should go to John Jay (CUNY) down on 59th street, which has the best program in the nation, or New Haven. This is obviously not a degree program that is being taught all over, and the demand for it is EXTREMELY LOW. Also one common mistake is that people coming out of high school who want to be a Fire Fighter major in Fire Science. While this obviously can not hurt you, the program is not designed to make you a Fire Fighter. It is more about engineering and/or administration.

Edited by JustSomeGuy

for most fire departments what is the college requirement?

im in the fire science technology program over in rockland, but i live in westchester.

the program is very good

plus suny tuition doesnt hurt

Justsomeguy. I couldn't agree with your more with your advice on the degree field.

I often have high school kids and younger firefighters come to me and say that they want to get their degree in fire science and I always tell them, to get a degree in something else and worry about the fire science degree when and if you get hired. Have something else to fall back on nad to be able to do.

John Jay is a fantastic school, but if WCC gets a program it will be about location if anything. Dutchess's program is also very very good.