Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
AS702

Soctt SCBA Masks Discoloration

11 posts in this topic

Has anyone experienced a wavy effect on the surface of a SCOTT facepiece?

After being over heated, they turn opauqe colors and perhaps maybe wavy. Should have it inspected.

AS702..

I have seen that we the face piece is exposed to high heat. You might also notice little bumbs almost like a sun burn.

I havew seen the discoloration and wave effect on scott masks after being in the flashover simulator at CFA. The instructors told us to put them out of service.

Scott issued a recall last year I think for the AV3000 masks for defective sheild attachment rings. You should be able to check on it on there website.

I have seen the discoloration and wave effect on scott masks after being in the flashover simulator at CFA. The instructors told us to put them out of service.

I have now seen 3 mask where this has happened on two occasions. During the last flashover simulator class I attended , the av3000 face piece waved and then formed a bubble that broke , exposing the ff to the enviorment. Thankfully the positive pressure kept the products of combustion out.

Being in the plastics industry for 20+ years, if the plastic resin used is not properly dried before it is molded, you can have hidden moisture in the clear piece that when heated can start to expand and evaporate. This could then lead to problems.

Yeah, noticed that last November (05) while at a Flashover Sim. aswell. It has the effect of almost looking through Spidered or stain glass. I heard it was a Defect and Scott might do good by it? haven't really heard anything since though?

Can anyone tell me why and who changed the topic name?

Last year at a house fire, I was on the initial search team then went to work on a hoseline. After using up one bottle and going out for a change, I noticed that the mask was bubbled and tinted. This was the first fire I went in wearing the newer Scott masks - since then I have little faith in it. Many times before during training I've had my older Scott masks do this too - but never in a "normal" fire condition.

On a side note, have any of you been inside a job and noticed the helmets (both plastic and leather) start to change shape? Thinking of this incident I was talking about above made me think of another fire last year where I was leading the 1st line in and I noticed the helmets of the two guys with me starting to warp.

Gotta love how many heat-increasing items are in your "normal" homes these days. 5-10 years ago I never once remember seeing helmets warp and masks changing color....does anyone else?

Hey, I know this is totally unrelated, but everyone is talking about this Flash over simulator. Where is that? Is it like a class you can take?

Thanks a lot

Can anyone tell me why and who changed the topic name?

When I sent my reply, the topic is what it reads now.