Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

EMS Tac Units?

7 posts in this topic

Hi everyone. My name is Jim and I am new to the forums and have followed the FDNY since the late 80's. I have a question about one of EMS's units. In James Griffith's Operational Reference I noticed one of the Manhattan ambulances (08T) is listed "tac" instead of being associated with a police precinct number. Does this unit have a special role? I also noticed in the first edition there were quite a few of these units.

Stay safe out there

Jim

It's due to become one. It's also an ALS unit at 2 ave & E 42 st. if that helps.

Edited by fdny1984

The old TAC Units such as 8T was, did not have a CSL. They would contact RCC each tour and see if there were needed someplace else in the city. When I worked out of Bell and 08T was running as a TAC unit they would go to the Bronx fairly often.

I don't think there are anymore TAC units in service as of this date.

08T is now running as 08Z which is now a HAZTAC unit..

HAZTAC units are trained units both BLS and ALS which have the required Hazmat training to operate in a Hotzone. They can also treat and triage in the hotzone when needed.

Here is a list of all Haztac units.

http://www.nycfire.net/fdny/haztac

There hasn't ben a T unit since about 2001, IIRC.

Thanks everyone. I think I understand these units now.

The old TAC Units such as 8T was, did not have a CSL.  They would contact RCC each tour and see if there were needed someplace else in the city.  When I worked out of Bell and 08T was running as a TAC unit they would go to the Bronx fairly often.

I don't think there are anymore TAC units in service as of this date.

08T is now running as 08Z which is now a HAZTAC unit..

HAZTAC units are trained units both BLS and ALS which have the required Hazmat training to operate in a Hotzone.  They can also treat and triage in the hotzone when needed.

Here is a list of all Haztac units.

http://www.nycfire.net/fdny/haztac

I wish there was a way to go back to tac ambulances sometimes, it would be a welcome change of pace instead of always doing the sick jobs and hearing another unit get the inhale, it gets fustrating knowing a trained unit is out there and availble but still the job goes to a regular bls.......sorry i'm ranting.......

Casson jr 17H3