Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

NYPD 24/7

11 posts in this topic

I've been watching this show, "NYPD 24/7" which has been and will be airing on ABC Channel 7 Tuesday Nights at 10pm. ABC News spent 16 months riding with different units of the NYPD and made it into this awesome documentary type series.

This past Tuesday, they rode with the sex-crimes unit and the ESU Supervisor.........caught some awesome footage of extrications, the NYPD-FDNY tensions, and jumper up rescues. The show cuts thru all the BS and drama and gets right to the point. Definetly worth the watch IMO.

I hope ABC releases this on DVD, or re-airs it on cable or something.

Here's an episode guide:

http://abcnews.go.com/sections/us/ABCNEWSS...ain_040601.html

Not a bad show, i liked how the ESU lt threw the guys keys on thee roof.

Disappointed in how the air the tensions between FD and PD.

The ESU sup was only speaking the truth! I love how FD left the injured pt in the car alone. I see this all the time working EMS in the bronx.

The ESU sup was only speaking the truth! I love how FD left the injured pt in the car alone. I see this all the time working EMS in the bronx

Don't forget Triage.... 50 people, 2 Emt's, someone has to get left alone..

Lets just think about another thing...

FDNY FF's = CFR

NYPD ESU = EMT

Who has the responsibility for the patient?????

I like when I pull to an MVA to find the FDNY EMS LT in the car holding C-Spine and the two Private EMT's standing there watching.. Lets also go a little further, maybe the EMT's could also tuck in their shirts... Maybe even get a blanket or something to cover the person being worked on so that they don't get showered in glass. How about you bring over the shortboard and placed it between the car and the patient so that the tool doesn't push anything sharp into the patient.

Ok Lets look at an Engine Company at an Extrication, 4 FF unit.

1 FF would have the nozzel and stretch a hoseline for safety

2 FF Would assist the 1st FF

3 FF Working the Pumps

4 FF Patient Care

I could find plenty of things to say about PD, FD, EMS, Etc. But is National TV the place to do it..

Whether the Lt. is right or wrong, he is still one cool guy IMO! :D

Retired Cop Who Criticized FDNY Has No Apology

By Marcus Solis

(New York-WABC, July 6, 2004) — Perhaps you saw it last Tuesday night on Channel 7. The show, 'NYPD 24/7,' featuring a rough-and-tumble cop who, in one scene, harshly criticizes the way firefighters are handling a rescue. 

The FDNY is angry, and it's fighting back -- adding tension to an already uneasy relationship. 

Here's Marcus Solis.

If you've seen 'NYPD 24/7,' you've already met Lt. Vic Hollifield. Even if you haven't, you're probably familiar with the controversy surrounding his comments about firefighters responding to a car accident.

That wasn't Hollifield's only scrape with the fire department. In 1999, during a scaffold rescue, a fire lieutenant was shoved and injured after Hollifield allegedly told his men to, "get around this guy."

Today the firefighters union spent over $100,000 on full page ads in the city's newspapers demanding Ray Kelly apologize.

Stephen Cassidy, UFA President: "This ESU lieutenant had a history, and the Commissioner Kelly still chose to put him up as a poster boy for the police department. It was a mistake."

The NYPD put out a statement saying:

"The regrettable comments... were neither reviewed nor authorized by the police department. [They] belied the images captured on tape; where firefighters and police officers worked side by side..."

-- NYPD Statement

Hollifield, who's now retired, says he's shocked by the controversy. He says he has the highest regard for firefighters.

Vic Hollifield, Retired NYPD Lieutenant: "They're people that i've always admired. Having said that, I don't believe that they should be immune from criticism."

On Tuesday, Mayor Bloomberg called the comments wrong, but said if anyone should apologize it's the person who said them, not the police commissioner. 

Hollifield says that's not going to happen.

Vic Hollifield: "I think I have a moral obligation to say what I did. I think the citizens of the city of new york deserve a higher level of service."

Though Hollifield is indeed retired, we haven't heard the last from him. The colorful character is the focus of Tuesday night's episode as well. 

I think the members of the firefighter's union should be outraged that they spent $100,000 on nonsense.

Head Of NYPD Sergeants Union Slams FDNY

TV Show 'NYPD 24/7' Fueling Dispute

PHILIP MESSING

Courtesy of The New York Post

The street fight between city cops and firefighters fueled by the TV show "NYPD 24/7" continued to rage yesterday, as the head of the police sergeants union fired off a letter slamming the FDNY. 

Ed Mullins, president of the Sergeants Benevolent Association, wrote to his members, blasting smoke-eaters for taking out full-page ads in newspapers this week. 

The ads criticized Police Commissioner Ray Kelly for comments made by a former NYPD lieutenant on the June 29 episode of the ABC reality series. 

The retired lieutenant mocked firefighters, and suggested FDNY medical technicians were "amateurs" and incompetent to treat wounded people. 

The firefighters union was outraged, and published an ad claiming the lieutenant was "handpicked" by the NYPD as its "poster boy" — and suggesting Kelly was behind a smear campaign. 

"The message transmitted was a slap at the NYC Police Commissioner," Mullins wrote. 

Mullins' letter accused firefighters of picking on cops in "childish" ways, such as a training demonstration shown to cadets at the fire academy in October 2002 that depicted a firefighter rescuing a fat cop gorging on doughnuts. 

"Talk about an inane enactment being 'demeaning, slanderous and belittling,' " Mullins said. 

The police union boss said it is likely that the fire academy's Keystone Kop-like demonstration was "approved and shown under the direct approval of their commissioner." He added it was far less likely the retired cop's televised comments were planned by NYPD brass. 

Mullins also couldn't resist taking a swipe at the FDNY's well-known penchant for firehouse cooking, saying that when he complained to the fire commissioner at the time of the academy stunt, "I did NOT ask if the doughnuts were cooked in the firehouse kitchen . . . and I did NOT ask if kitchen aprons were a part of firefighters' equipment." 

Yesterday, Mullins admitted that his letter would do little to improve police/fire relations. 

"In the short term, it's probably going to inflame things," he conceded. 

But he said that he did it because he believed the FDNY had already poisoned the atmosphere too much. 

We always hear from the higher ups on all this crap. What do the guys out on the street think? anyone?

I happened to catch my first episode a week or so ago. I caught the last 1/2 hour of the show, but that 1/2 hour was enough to hook me! I don't watch TV much and i have been disappointed in Fire, EMS & PD shows that have come out. But this show,'NYPD 24/7,' seems to be unlike the rest! In the episode i caught, Detectives from the 67 in Brooklyn were investigating a case of abduction/assault/rape/murder. 2 men had abducted a young woman & kept her in a basement where they would savagely torture & rape her & eventually murdered her. The detectives make an arrest of the first suspect and start following leads as to the whereabouts of the 2nd suspect. Their leads take them from Albany to Atlanta, Georgia & finally Yonkers where the suspect was arrested by YPD units. I was impressed with the detectives determination, but most of all i enkoyed the no-holds-bar attitude of the show. As Seth stated, the show cuts through the BS which is real nice. It truly unlike any show out there! The people depicted on the show tell it how it is with no holding back at all! I know i will continue to watch this show (so long as i remember). If you haven't seen an episode yet, i strongly reccommend you try and catch one! Channel 7, Tuesday nights 10-11pm.

If anyone missed the first few episodes, can get them for you. I think I still have them here on the computer, but if not I can get them off BitTorrent for ya.