Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
SteveOFD

New Tarrytown Firehouses II

12 posts in this topic

From The Journal News legal section 9/11/06 "Public notice is hearby given that sealed bids will received by the Village of Tarrytown, Tarrytown, NY, 10591 for two new firehouses...untill 11:00AM prevailing time on Friday September 29, 2006 at which time they will be publicly read aloud."

Good luck Tarrytown FD. I hope the new forehouses are preserved in a well kept manner always and they fit the needs of your department.

2 new fire stations, new police station,new village hall, development of river front, with stores and condos, new fire apparatus, sounds great.

thats those tax dollars being put to good use.

thanks to everybody for the interest in this

Bids for new Tarrytown firehouses come in very high

By THE JOURNAL NEWS

FROM STAFF REPORTS

(Original publication: October 6, 2006)

TARRYTOWN - The village's long-delayed plan to build two new firehouses would be far more expensive than previously estimated, according to construction bids opened today.

The lowest combination of bids for the firehouses would result in a cost of nearly $5.1 million, well above the $3.8 million estimated by the village, according to a review of bids from 17 contractors by The Journal News.

The costs could prove to be even higher if any of the contractors submitting the lowest bids were found to be unqualified to build the replacement firehouses during the village's analysis that is expected to take a week or two.

The higher costs does not mean the village would automatically reject the bids or redesign the firehouses, said Mayor Drew Fixell.

"I wouldn't rule it out. We'll have to look at the numbers carefully," Fixell said of the construction bids, which earlier in the day had been opened at Village Hall before an audience of hopeful contractors.

Village officials had hoped the current plan to build two firehouses could be done by an earlier $4.2 million estimate for two firehouses that would have been built next to each other on White Plains Road east of Route 9. That site was said to be more expensive by village officials, in part because construction there would have required extensive rock removal.

The new buildings would replace the village's Washington Engine Company's station on Kaldenberg Place with a new one on White Plains Road, and temporary quarters for Consolidated Engine Company on Sheldon Avenue with a permanent structure a short distance away.

Can plans for one firehouse be far behind ?

how about this - SELL the property AND the old Washington Eng thats just for starters.

build one combonation fire station

If the Fire Cpmpanies still want to have their own stations let them come up with some CASH from their companies.... How much do each company have in their treasuries??

The village should build simple.

how about this - SELL the property AND the old Washington Eng  thats  just for starters.

build one combonation fire station

If the Fire Cpmpanies still want to have their own stations  let them come up with  some CASH  from their companies.... How much do each company have in their treasuries??

The village should build simple.

Couple of posters here brought this up awhile ago. I think the initial fidings were that two separate firehouse were cheeper to build than on large station for both companies. It had nothing to do with the two companies wanting separate firehouses but moreso for location purposes if I remember correctly about the thread.

Well as a taxpayer in Tarrytown--- if the Village Board votes to take the bids "as is" and its going to build at a gewarwe cost. The taxpayers should revolt. This is starting to border on criminal, They all better watch the next election results cause they wont be trustees any more they willbe "dont trust me trustees"

this village board has been= promises= promises =promises but way short on delivery. the town needs a over haul anad so does the Fire Department.. Its time Tarrytown moved into the 21st century.

ok i opened the door lets heres it form you guys

The old Washington Eng is being donated to a department in Tennessee

Well as a taxpayer in Tarrytown--- if the Village Board votes to take the  bids "as is" and its going to  build at a gewarwe cost. The taxpayers should revolt.  This is starting to border on criminal, They all better watch the next election results cause they wont be trustees any more they willbe "dont trust me trustees"

this  village board has been= promises= promises =promises  but  way short on delivery. the town  needs a over haul anad so does the Fire Department.. Its time Tarrytown moved into the 21st century.

ok  i opened the door  lets heres it form you guys

here we are agian firecapt. we havent spoke in a while, i hope all is well.

i was a little shocked at the bids also to be honest. it is a lot higher than what the village estimated and i am sure there will be the same people protesting the building of this fire house. but i have to say, wouldent you rather have this built with the higher cost and not spend the money on the paid department like people have suggested? 5 million dollars 1 time does not seem like a lot of money when you look at 8 million a year for paid guys. that would really break the tax payers backs.

i for 1 am glad that this board of trustees was elected. if you look at the people who ran agianst them that proposed private sanitation, public works, and paid firemen then you have to be happy as well with this board.

its a totally acceptable agrument what you are saying walter, but lets just build the damn things and get it over with. its been too long for these 2 companies to be without a firehouse and i really cannot stand another winter or another snow watch in that cold disgusting trailor.

Your foward thinking is always welcome Dave-- and your right it has been too long for your company to be with out a station. I am not sure where you get your figures about a career department from but i wont argue those right now. But if you wanted to supplement your Volunteers with career it can be done, but its a ugly pill to swallow. First the Department needs the overhaul.

please dont be offended by what I say next.

whats the building on Kaldenberg Place worth?? Theres a start. second do you need eng 76 and its location?? You wanted the ugly truth I dont think you need a apparatus there its less then 1/4 mile form lad37 and eng 79 and les the 1/2 mile form eng 80.

Be Tarrytown firefighters . consolidate and selloff the property and all old used equipment.

Elect your Chief by Department vote not just one company at a time.

heres one fact that should convince you--- one compnay has to elect a Chief(any given year) lests say there are 50 active members in that compnay-- if each company has 50 members-- thats a department of 300 members-- the company in question has a by law that says ---"to be able to vote at the anual election of officers the member must have attended at least 4 meeting during the year" with me so far!!! they only get 20 at the annual meeting of the 20 only 15 can vote. they elect a chief vote 8-7 meaning that 8 members of a 300 man department elect the chief that will be in charge of the budget/fire alarms/ and in charge of protecting the public.

i am not sure how i got on this subject Dave but i did your comments are always welcome as well as your honesty. Be good stay low

Your foward thinking is always welcome Dave-- and your right it has been too long  for your company to be with out a station. I am not  sure where you get your figures about a career department from but i wont argue  those right now.  But if you wanted to supplement your Volunteers with career it  can be done, but its  a ugly pill to swallow. First the Department needs the overhaul.

please dont be offended by what I say next.

whats the building on Kaldenberg Place worth?? Theres a start. second do you need eng 76 and its location?? You wanted the ugly truth  I dont think you need a apparatus there its less then 1/4 mile form lad37 and eng 79 and les the 1/2 mile form eng 80.

Be Tarrytown firefighters . consolidate and selloff the property and all old used equipment.

Elect your Chief  by Department vote  not  just  one company at a time.

heres one fact that should convince you--- one compnay has  to elect a Chief(any given year) lests say there are 50 active members in that compnay-- if each company has 50 members-- thats a department of 300 members-- the company in question has a by law that says ---"to be able to vote at the anual election of officers the member must have attended at least 4 meeting during the year" with me so far!!!  they only get 20 at the annual meeting  of the 20 only 15 can vote. they elect a chief vote 8-7 meaning that 8 members of a 300 man department elect the chief that will  be in charge of the budget/fire alarms/ and in charge of protecting the public.

i am not  sure how i got on this subject Dave  but i did  your comments are always welcome as well as your honesty. Be good stay low

all good points.

good question on how much the kaldenburg property is worth. the last i had heard was that utility 61 would be housed there. (not definate, thats just something i heard around town). i happen to agree that selling the property and putting that money toward their house to save some village money. also when it comes to my company, we have a very large piece of land still on sheldon avenue that we own and we are looking to sell. I dont know where that money will go, or if the older guys in my company (the guys who make those decisions) are considering giving that money to the village to help with the cost of our house.

lets be realistic firecapt, there would be some very unhappy people down there at 76 if the village up and decided to get rid of them all together. that has been a house for a long time down there. also i choose not to comment further on that for obvious reasons (dont need pissed off phoenix hose guys on my back).

i cant disagree with you that we should sell some old equipment. the old washington engine is suposedly being donated to a department in the south. and consolidated's old truck is trying to be sold but no luck with buyers. Personally i am a consolidated engine guy and what washington chooses to do with thier old truck is their business.

now, this department vote thing. its something my father has talked about for years and years and way before i was a member. i dont see why its a bad idea if: the people to be voted on stay in chiefs rotation, and there are measures taken that would ensure that the winner or loser would not divide the department. right now we have a good thing with robby scogna as chief. from what i see, everybody is happy and we are all getting along.

i look forward to your response as always. stay safe