Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
220LT188

Somers Backhoe Pin Job

2 posts in this topic

A LITTLE MORE ON SOMERS RESCUE 7/03/04 :

COMMAND ESTAB. SHORTLY AFTER 10-19 OF MA-14 : 1705

PT. LEGS HAD BECOME ENTRAPPED UNDERNEATH THE CONTROL BOX/PANEL, A SMALL TOOL BOX, AND THE WEIGHT OF THE EXCAVATING BOOM INSIDE THE COMPARTMENT AREA.

PT. CARE GIVEN TO ALS WESTCHESTER EMS AND MA-14 CONDUCTED A STABILIZATION OP. ON THE VECHICLE. USING THE WINCH AND THE VECHICLE ITSELF ( FRONT BUCKET STABILIZER ARMS.

E-183 WAS SET UP IN DRIVEWAY AND RESCUE TOOLS AND EQUIPMENT BROUGHT TO THE SCENE ( ABOUT 50 YDS AWAY )

USED HURST SPREADERS AND COMBI TOOL AND "LOTS OF CRIBBING" TO EXRTACATE VICTIM.

L-18 STAGED AT FRONT WITH ADDITIONAL EQUIP. AND A SECOND AMBULNCE WAS BROUGHT IN FOR REHAB.

PT OUT AND PACKAGED @1730.

A FEW NOTES SO ALL CAN LEARN FROM THIS.

1) INCIDENT COMMAND MUST BE USED. AND THIS DOESN'T MEAN THE HIGHTEST RANKING OFFICER MUST BE IN CHARGE. I WAS IN MA-14 AND UPON LEARNING NO OTHER OFFICER WAS ENROUTE ASSUMED COMMAND. CAPT. 2444 ARRIVED SHORTLY AFTER WITH LADDER 18. BOTH HE AND I KNEW HE WAS BETTER TO SUPERVISE THE ACUTAL RESCUE WITH HIS EXPERIENCE ON THE TOOL (EX-CHIEF) AND HIS KNOWLEDGE OF THE ACTUAL VECHICLE.

2) SAY WHAT YOU WILL ABOUT "VOLLIES" BUT IT HAS ITS PERKS.

SOME OF THE PEOPLE ASSIGNED TO THE RESCUE WERE PICKED OUT BECAUSE THEY KNEW THIS MACHINE. ONE OWNS A LANDSCAPE COMPANY AND OWNS THESE TYPES OF MACHINES. ONE IS AN EXPERIECED OPERATING ENGINEER WHO ALSO WORKED AT THE W.T.C. POST 9-11. COMBINE THE PEOPLE'S LIFE WORK AND EXPERIENCE WITH A COUPLE OF GOOD TOOL GUYS ( WHICH WE HAD) AND YOU CAN DO ALOT AND SAFELY.

3) JUST BECAUSE YOU ARE THE I.C. AND ARE "IN CHARGE" DOESN'T MEAN YOU DON'T GO TO EX-CHIEFS AND OTHER OFFICERS. USE THESE PEOPLE FOR THEIR EXPERIENCE AND KNOWLEDGE. "YOU DON'T KNOW EVERYTHING AND NO ONE DOES!" BUT IF YOU COMBINE EFFORT AND PUT YOUR HEADS TOGETHER IT WORKS. I HAD AN EX-CHIEF NEXT TO ME REMINDING ME OF THE LITTLE THINGS. I HAD AN EX-CHIEF FROM KATONAH ( A FREIND)UNNING COMMS AND KEEPING IN CONTACT WITH DISPATCH AND OTHER SOURCES. I HAD A GOOD SET PEOPLE ON THE TOOL DOING THE RESCUE ALONG WITH THE GUYS GIVING ADVICE ABOUT THE VECHICLE (BACK-HOE). AN EX-EMS CAPT ASKING TO BRING THE SECOND AMB. FOR REHAB. USE THEM ALL AND LEARN FROM THEM BECAUSE IT WILL BE YOU ON OTHERSIDE WITH SOME YOUNG OFFICER IN CHARGE STRUGGLING THROUGH THE OP AND YOU WILL BE THERE FOR THEM.

4) USE EVERYBODY!!! SOMERS IS LUCKY THAT WE WORK WELL TOGETHER WITH N.Y.S.P. I HAD TROOPERS BRINGS RESCUE EQUIPMENT AND OTHER STUFF UP BECAUSE THEY WERE THERE AND WANTED TO HELP. WE KNOW THEM AND THEY KNOW US BOTH PROFESSIONALLY AND SOCIALLY. SOME ARE MY FRIENDS. JUST BECAUSE FDNY AND NYPD DON'T WORK TOGETHER DOESN'T MEAN WE CAN'T. WE CALLED STAT-FLIGHT BUT WERE UNAVAILABLE. BUT IF THEY WERE AND ON THE GROUND BRING THOSE NURSES TO SCENE. THAT WILL BOTH THEM IN TREATING THE PT. AND MAY HAVE ADVICE ABOUT HOW TO GET THEM OUT

I'M TIRED SO MOST OF THIS IS A LITTLE ROUGH BUT I WANTED TO GET IT OUT THERE SO IT MIGHT HELP SOME OF YOU

THANK YOU TO THE SOMERS CREW, SOMERS DISPATCH, 60 CONTROL, NYSP.

ANY ?s OR COMMENTS PLEASE WRITE BACK I WILL TRY TO GET BACK TO YOU.

What, no thank you to the Westchester EMS/Stellaris Medic (who took care of the patient from the begining of the incident to transfer to the hospital staff)? Oh yeah, and the crew of 80-B-2/Somers FD EMS Division, who cared for the patient both during the incident and the transport? Where's the love, lol? :hug:

Now, to add my general comments:

This was a complicated mechanically, yet minor medically, pin.

Just to add to the above, after the patients limb was freed (only one leg was affected/entrapped), and examined, it was determined Stat Flight WAS NOT neccasary whatsoever.The standby was intially becuase it was unclear the possible extent of the leg injury. The patient was completly stable, it was an isolated leg injury,with no deformity or lacerations,etc strong distal pms was present the whole time, and the patient's pain was relieved enroute. Just because something requires this type of effort, people tend to get excited and make a big deal out of something that may not neccasarily be such. From a medical standpoint, Rescues and Trauma doesn't always equal helicopter or hoopla. Think about it this way, somebody could have fallen on the sidewalk at at Senior Community that repeatedly patronizes EMS and gotten a worse leg injury, yet would a helicpoter be considered for that? Don't let "tunnel-vision" get ya.

Also, PATIENT CARE AND COMFORT is your top priority, regardless. When performing any extrication, always remember to consult with the medic or EMT's in charge of the patient, because he/she is in charge of the care of the human being that you are removing and often has a different and important perspective. Many people in general tend to forget about the victim's side of extrication.

Put all the rescue stuff and equipment aside and think about what you are there for, that person. That sometimes gets overlooked in the grand scheme of things. If you can, try to explain to the patient what you are going to do and consult with him/her to see if you are causing them any additional pain or injury.

In addition, many Paramedics have training and experience with extrications as well, as well as training in trauma care and anatomy. Don't ignore the patient either, as they may have clues in how to better remove them.

The most important part though, what needed to get done got done, and the patient and his family were extremly appreciative and grateful for those involved (Somers FD may even have a new member,lol!).