Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Truck4

FDNY member beaten by thugs on LI

6 posts in this topic

This hasn't received much press yet. Off-duty FDNY member beaten while walking home with his wife. Richard Berkhout, 46, who works out of Engine 298 in Jamaica is still in intensive care. Let's keep this guy in mind, and hope the DA has a set and takes it to the three wastes of human life.

From New York Newsday:

Third man arrested in firefighter beating

BY SUSANA ENRIQUEZ

Newsday Staff Writer

September 14, 2006, 9:56 PM EDT

A third man has been arrested and charged in the assault Monday of a New York City firefighter in Mastic Beach who had spent the day with his wife in remembrance of the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks, Suffolk police said.

Christopher Robinson, 25, who had been released Monday on parole from the Cayuga Correctional Facility upstate, after serving 4 years for felony assault, was arrested Thursday. His half-brothers, twins Darrell and Darian Taylor, 28, of Mastic Beach, were arrested at the scene Monday and charged with second-degree assault.

Richard Berkhout, 46, who works out of Engine 298 in Jamaica, and his wife, Margaret, 47, were walking home from a fishermen's club meeting at the Mastic Beach Yacht Club about 9:15 p.m. Monday when a car sped by them on Lakeview Drive, said Suffolk police Det. Lt. Gerard Gigante.

Police said Thursday that when Richard Berkhout yelled at them to slow down, the car stopped and three men got out and beat him severely. Berkhout suffered a fractured skull, a brain hemorrhage and numerous lacerations and contusions to his head and face, police said. He was taken to Brookhaven Memorial Hospital Medical Center, where he remains in intensive care in serious condition.

Margaret Berkhout, who was not injured, screamed for help and ran to a nearby home where the resident sounded his burglar alarm, alerting the police. She then ran back to the yacht club.

"When she came back here, she was hysterical," said Warren McDowell, 72, of Mastic Beach.

At the club Thursday, members gathered to inquire about Berkhout as visitors were not allowed at the hospital.

"When I heard about it, I got sick to my stomach," said Mike Schumacher, a city firefighter from Engine 266 who has known Berkhout for 10 years. "You would never think of him being in a fight."

Berkhout is known for getting things done around the firehouse, Schumacher said, and receives an award every year to recognize him for that. "He's got his hands into everything," he said. "He's an incredible guy."

Darrell and Darian Taylor, who were charged with second-degree assault, are being held in Suffolk County Jail in lieu of $100,000 cash bail and $300,000 bond, and $150,000 cash bail and $450,000 bond, respectively.

The investigation into Robinson's alleged role in the assault was continuing. He is scheduled to be arraigned Friday in First District Court in Central Islip for a parole violation.

Prayers for a speedy recovery. Just goes to show parole is a waste. I hope the book is thrown at these animals.

Wish a speedy and complete recovery to FF Berkhout and my support to his wife and FDNY members.

In the meantime, hold the bastards in a cozy cell w/ half a dozen adult male sex predators! mad.gif

Prayers for a speedy recovery. Just goes to show parole is a waste. I hope the book is thrown at these animals.

this is just not right....no reason what so ever for that to happen...my thoughts and prayers go out to the family

speedy recovery to Richie...he is a great guy, meet him a few years ago and very grateful for meeting him.

Hundreds of firefighters attend suspects' arraignment

FROM STAFF REPORTS

NEWSDAY

September 18, 2006, 11:46 AM EDT

More than 250 firefighters were in Suffolk County Criminal Court in Riverhead this morning when three suspects charged with beating a New York City firefighter were arraigned.

Twin brothers Darrell and Darian Taylor, who were charged with second-degree assault in the Sept. 11 beating of Richard Berkhout in Mastic Beach, are being held in Suffolk County Jail on $1 million cash bail along with their half brother, Christopher Robinson.

Robinson, 25, who had been released last Monday on parole from the Cayuga Correctional Facility upstate, after serving 4 years for felony assault, was arrested last Thursday. His half-brothers, 28, of Mastic Beach, were arrested at the scene last Monday.

Berkhout, 46, who works out of Engine 298 in Jamaica, and his wife, Margaret, 47, were walking home from a fishermen's club meeting at the Mastic Beach Yacht Club about 9:15 p.m. when a car sped by them on Lakeview Drive, said Suffolk police Det. Lt. Gerard Gigante.

Police said that when Richard Berkhout yelled at them to slow down, the car stopped and three men got out and beat him severely.

Berkhout suffered a fractured skull, a brain hemorrhage and numerous lacerations and contusions to his head and face, police said.

He was taken to Brookhaven Memorial Hospital Medical Center, where he remains in intensive care in serious condition.