Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DOC22

Broadband Internet

19 posts in this topic

Just set up new Verizon Fios Internet, What a difference over the Cable IA!

Anybody else have Fios yet?

I wish. I don't think we even have DSL availability in my neighborhood yet because of the distance limitations (you have to be roughly 3 miles or less from the phone company central office (CO) to get it. I can only hope that since Fios is last mile fiber optical, that distance won't be an issue. I guess it's just a matter of time before we get it. Ask me how it is - in 2010.

I have FiOs also, and your right the speed is much better. I'll never go back to Cable!

The problem with cable is that you share it with everyone that is hooked up to the same pole, thus, killing your speeds. FiOS is a nice fiber optic system, which has cleared up alot of the reliability issues of cable, and totally destroys DSL

Verizon has other plans for those fiber opical cables going to your house now (once they install it). I addition to the fact that it can carry a few DOZEN phone lines, they also plan to get into the television market. Deregulation at it's best.

Edited by WAS967

Just got it a couple of months back. Can't compare to Cable but the difference with DSL is insane. Basic browsing stays the same but media stuff or large downloads are really improved.

Verizon has other plans for those fiber opical cables going to your house now (once they install it). I addition to the fact that it can carry a few DOZEN phone lines, they also plan to get into the television market. Deregulation at it's best.

They are already in the television market, even in some areas of New York, but, unfortunately not this area yet. It'll be nice when that happens, cause it'll give the cable companies a run for their money.

They are already in the television market, even in some areas of New York, but, unfortunately not this area yet. It'll be nice when that happens, cause it'll give the cable companies a run for their money.

Charles Dolan & Company certinely need a run for their money. Why do my cable rates go up when the Knicks screw up??

Charles Dolan & Company certinely need a run for their money. Why do my cable rates go up when the Knicks screw up??

Good question, I can't answer, but I have ComCast who took over SusCom (Susquehana Communications) who took over RN, who took over C-Tech. With each takeover, the service sure didn't get that much better, but the rates sure went UP!!!!!

I have FIOS now for almost 8 months now and it rocks, FIOS tv I was told is coming next month to my area, at least that was what the Tech who was installing next door to me said.

Anyone who is thinking of getting phios, look into committing to tv now. I'm saving %10 and will get phios tv for three months(I think) free once it becomes available. TV is allegedly begining early '07 and you pay per channel. No more forced packages.

yeah but what kind of channel options will they have available

I have had fios Internet for over a year now, the speed the price... can't get any better. I will definately be ordering Fios TV when available.

yeah but what kind of channel options will they have available

What kind of price is the Fios going for.

God anyone remeber switching from dial up to cable it was the best thing since the computer.

Fios is great. I had it installed in January and have no complaints. The Optimum set up from Cablevision is garbage. All of the phones connect to the modem which is a royal PIA. You experience major slow downs when you are watching TV surfing the net and talking on the phone, infact my tv actually froze while I was doing all 3. Once again Fios is great the installer was a 20 year tech from verizon unlike cablevision who contracts out to prince telecom who has guys that are disgruntled and deffently not experts in the field. Just my $.02.

Mike

FYI. The Town of Greenburgh is reviewing a contract to allow Verizon Fios to provide TV in the town.

I'm getting my FioS on Thurday!!! Can't wait. Verizon is offering free installation & a free wireless router. For the 1st year, it will be less expensive than the DSL.

I'm a FIOS splicer, we just completed a large part of Peekskill office and it should be available shortly- it is by far a superior network design to Cable. the Tv is great and on the way.