Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
tbendick

FDNY Issues reminder after 6th Alarm Fire

6 posts in this topic

FDNY Department Order #60 of 2004 issued today

2.2 Safety Reminder

The Escape ladder on tower ladder apparatus shall not be used for relief or other non-emergency purposes, due to the danger of possible rung movement.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

I would have to say that this was issued after someone saw the following two photos.

9_ny_jd.jpg

Photo by Jack Dewan Jr.

7_ny_jd.jpg

Photo by unknown

FDNY SOP's for Tower Ladder ops.

2.6 Escape From Basket

2.6.1 When no other solution is possible, member may escape from the basket by means of the fixed telescoping ladder mounted on top of the boom sections or by life saving rope in conjunction with the Personal Harness, which ever is most appropriate for the situation.

Note: There exists under some conditions of partial elevation and extension, a possibility of boom section adjustment, gradual shifting with one section extending and another section retracting the same distance with no effect on the position of the basket. This results in rungs moving in relation to each other.

Because of this possibility, utmost caution must be exercised while using the escape ladder.

Wait....do I see that guy WALKING UPRIGHT, AND FOWARDS :yikes: on the aerialscope escape ladder???? What is he, crazy????? :weee:

Come on Seth, thats a silly question! Doesn't he look tough though? Thats whats important, not his safety lol! I said the same thing when i saw these pictures. Hell, i'm not even a truckie and i know thats not a proper truck move! Whats scary is the fact that you can clearly make out a "white-hat" in the picture. I'm not sure if he is a Battalion or Division or whatever, but he is right there. My point is that if there are FDNY SOP's regarding this, than it should have been handled right then and there! If firefighters are supposed to know the SOP's, then you know damn well that supervisors know them! Anyway, just wanted to add my thoughts, but its definately scary to see pictures like this!

They have been broadcasting this as the daily safety message for the last few days since the incident.

What is Buchanan's SOP for aerial ops?

:wave:

Just kidding, Swankie!

Ahh man that hurts Muns!!! Like i said, i am NOT a truckie lol! Lets not get into this discussion, we've talked in private about certain ladders in the area lol! But hey, in a perfect world, every department would have an aerial unit, but thats just my opinion! And every dept. would have different SOP's and they'd argue about who operates better and all that lol!

But yeah, this was the first time i saw these shots, scary & unsafe -yes, suprising - not so much. Unfortunately, crap like this happens in every department, all over the country, wheather career or vollie.