Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
calhobs

NIMS

35 posts in this topic

Gang. Its really not that difficult. NIMS has been around for years, FEMA did not dream this up last year. NIMS is just the national model.

The ICS is exactly what you said lfdR1. It is for the most part non-descript and universal. That is why departments in southern and western states have been using it for over a decade. You fill positions as they are needed. I can say that the majority of departments would fair better in their management of all incidents if they utilized the system as it is outlined in the NIMS. It will improve accountability and also span of control. Many departments are close to being able to be more in line with a true ICS, not what many Westchester departments keep telling themselves that they are.

Like was said...KISS. You can't get any simpler by utilizing function titles with communication on the fireground instead of unit numbers and portable numbers. You can't get any simpler by allowing a good span of control instead of multiple unit numbers calling the "IC" by car number. The ICS allows you to function based on size of the incident and is easy to implement on our level that is the entire idea. It has nothing to do with whether you're a FD, PD, EMS, local gov't, state or federal it is to get everyone on the same page. Things take time. We in emergency services are all to quick to point out how it won't work or how its not good, how about making a system that has been proven in other areas of the country to work, in small and large departments, vollie, combo and career and make it work.

Gang.  Its really not that difficult.  NIMS has been around for years, FEMA did not dream this up last year.  NIMS is just the national model. 

The ICS is exactly what you said lfdR1.  It is for the most part non-descript and universal.  That is why departments in southern and western states have been using it for over a decade.  You fill positions as they are needed.  I can say that the majority of departments would fair better in their management of all incidents if they utilized the system as it is outlined in the NIMS.  It will improve accountability and also span of control.  Many departments are close to being able to be more in line with a true ICS, not what many Westchester departments keep telling themselves that they are. 

Like was said...KISS.  You can't get any simpler by utilizing function titles with communication on the fireground instead of unit numbers and portable numbers.  You can't get any simpler by allowing a good span of control instead of multiple unit numbers calling the "IC" by car number.  The ICS allows you to function based on size of the incident and is easy to implement on our level that is the entire idea.  It has nothing to do with whether you're a FD, PD, EMS, local gov't, state or federal it is to get everyone on the same page.  Things take time.  We in emergency services are all to quick to point out how it won't work or how its not good, how about making a system that has been proven in other areas of the country to work, in small and large departments, vollie, combo and career and make it work.

Well said!!

You ought to work for DHS, you understand it better than they do!!!

I teach a DHS course...lol. Maybe not the right ones, lol. Can I use you on my next resume for them when I apply again. smile.gif

Gang.  Its really not that difficult.  NIMS has been around for years, FEMA did not dream this up last year.  NIMS is just the national model. 

The ICS is exactly what you said lfdR1.  It is for the most part non-descript and universal.  That is why departments in southern and western states have been using it for over a decade.  You fill positions as they are needed.  I can say that the majority of departments would fair better in their management of all incidents if they utilized the system as it is outlined in the NIMS.  It will improve accountability and also span of control.  Many departments are close to being able to be more in line with a true ICS, not what many Westchester departments keep telling themselves that they are. 

Like was said...KISS.  You can't get any simpler by utilizing function titles with communication on the fireground instead of unit numbers and portable numbers.  You can't get any simpler by allowing a good span of control instead of multiple unit numbers calling the "IC" by car number.  The ICS allows you to function based on size of the incident and is easy to implement on our level that is the entire idea.  It has nothing to do with whether you're a FD, PD, EMS, local gov't, state or federal it is to get everyone on the same page.  Things take time.  We in emergency services are all to quick to point out how it won't work or how its not good, how about making a system that has been proven in other areas of the country to work, in small and large departments, vollie, combo and career and make it work.

ALS is right....this is no big deal. In fact each time I teach I-200 I am amazed at how much depts allready use the IC system to some degree....the class just helps fine tune it.

We have been actively using the ICS and its terminology in the Elmsford FD, on all runs, since July of this year. Our personnel are becoming comfortable with it.

The results really paid off last week at a working structure fire at 2:30 AM.

Because we have been using ICS regularly, all personnel automatically used it at this incident, making for a well coordinated fireground operation.

The use of the Con Ed donated Command Board also helped in this coordination.

As many articles, in various firefighting publications, point out: You cannot use this system effectively if you don't use it all the time. To use it effectively, it should be utilized on all runs.