Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
firemn23

Fire Departments Responding

19 posts in this topic

There is one thing I never understand when watching videos on you tube, how does a firefighter or officer that is responding to a call have the time to take video of the fire truck responding while they are repsonding to an emergency call. The video below was taken while a department was responding to a motor vehicle accident the photgrapher tell everyone in the rig that they are on viideo. What is everyones honest opinion of videos like this, there are hundreds of them on you tube.

I think It makes it Twice as Dangerous than it already is speeding down/through Traffic and 4 way intersections. Simple little Distractions such as filming in the rig like that can throw the driver off and lead them to their own MVA or put a pedestrian on the street in danger.

Edited by NRFDTL11Buff

My feelings are mixed. I have a few of those types of videos we took from years ago (with an actual camcorder and way before youtube or the like) and looking back on them, there are some good memories. Some of them are interesting, they can be used for training sometimes and they can preserve memories as I said.

On the other hand, I can't help sometimes watching them and thinking "God, what a bunch of whackers", which I suppose makes me a bit of a hypocrite. As far as the guys having the time to shoot them, that's not really much of an issue with me. You gotta figure most of these are shot on fairly long runs, the guys are already geared up and most of the calls are BS. Which brings me to my final point about them, and often a hot button issue. I really don't like watching videos of trucks responding to BS calls where they can't lay off the Q and airhorns and are flying recklessly through traffic. I would say that they're doing it to play to the camera, but I know better. Some guys just respond all out like that for every little call, which as someone who has taught driver training classes, makes me cringe. Yes, I know someone is going to say "But you never know until you get there!" which has some degree of truth to it, but those of us that have been around for awhile know the score. I've gone on hundreds and hundreds of runs for automatic alarms to our County Health Complex, sometimes multiple times a day for days on end...and you know how many of them turned out to be legit over the years? A handful, if that...and we knew right away we had something as we were responding.

If the officer has to hold it I disagree with filming however, if the camera is mounted on the dash, and all someone has to do is hit the switch then I think it is cool.

The priorty should be evryones safety and what decisions need to be made on the call, not the video of the rig responding.

we have responding video on my videos... all videos shot are by someone in the back of the truck sitting in their seat.

I'm still trying to figure out how some officers have time to take pictures at working fires and serious incidents.

All our footage has been shot from a dash mounted cam. In the future we hope to install multiple fixed cameras for taping the response, the scene and the crowd.

we have responding video on my videos... all videos shot are by someone in the back of the truck sitting in their seat.

how about filming the judge thats going to send you to jail because you killed someone crossing the street that you didnt see because you wasnt paying attention.

Its unsafe, the operator of the vehicle might do something they wouldn't do normally to make the video look "cooler". It is also unsafe if one of the members has to hold it because most likely they are not in the mindset that they need to be in, they are concentrating on the video.

I agree that video footage should NOT be allowed in the rig, if you wan't it there for legal purposes and/or training purposes, then have it installed like PD patrol cars

Edited by M2theAX

I don't think that everyone who films a response video should be thrown into the same pot.

Yes, I do agree there are some who film inapropriately, but what about those who have a long ride, are all outfitted, pregaming in their head and shoot a quick video (while not driving but still spotting)

Or those who are riding along...like I will be tommorow or the next day with a company for the sole purpose of photography?

Or those who have a camera mounted or placed on the dash, and all the photographer needs to do is press a button- "set it and forget it"

There are even some deparments that have the "Drive Cam", a always recording digital video camera for the purposes of documentation, training, and liability.

You should have permission from the officer to film and publish the video in whatever cicrumstance. Let's just not accuse everyone who films of doing something wrong.

On a side note, some of these videos are getting a little tiring and old.

Edited by x635

how about filming the judge thats going to send you to jail because you killed someone crossing the street that you didnt see because you wasnt paying attention.

Right, because the guy in the BACK seat shooting the video is the one who should be paying attention to "someone crossing the street", not the driver or guy in the shotgun seat. rolleyes.gif

Right, because the guy in the BACK seat shooting the video is the one who should be paying attention to "someone crossing the street", not the driver or guy in the shotgun seat.  rolleyes.gif

Not to get off topic, but I feel that everyone in the rig should be an extra set of eyes for the driver. Now, I'm not talking about backseat drivers, but "lookouts".

I was taught that early on, and have seen it work in action.

Also, let's not forget the video CAN be claimed as evidence and used in a court of law.....in or against our favor.

I also wanted to comment on the remark that the driver will "drive cooler if he is being filmed". That is one of the most immature remarks I have heard, and anyone who does that shouldn't be driving, nor even be riding in a firetruck.

Edited by x635

My original thought about this topic was about someone holding a camera while the truck is responding. I believe the videos below might illustrate my point a little better

Man, all this time I have been trying to figure out a way to drive the Engine and film it while holding my Slurpee....

In all seriousness, the Driver and Officer should have all thier eyes on the road. If you have a crew on board I truly don't think that if one guy is taping your response it is a "safety" concern. If you think about it, it's no different then a member riding that is watching the response out the window.....

Just remember, even if you aren't taping your actions, there is always a good chance that Big Brother is STILL watching anyway...

i didnt know a guy in the back could be the driver and officer at the same time...... i dont see the bog deal in this. also if u watch my videos you wont find any speeding a or wild moves, all of our drivers are very disciplined and we also require all members to be wearing seat belts!

Yes or it can also help you. If you are a safe driver you need not worry about it. if it's a true "Accident" then you have proof.

Back to the video itself, the driver of this apperatus did not excersie any caution going thru the intersections. siren on yes but would he really have been able to stop quickly and safely if he had too? I don't think so.

How about firescene shots?? Ive seen shots from tower ladder bucket while operating at firescene. Then there is the personal helmet cam installed without depts permission. Are we

more interested in photography or firefighting? Leave the photos to the shutterheads concentrate on your job.

DC2T

I've got to say, I firmly believe that video can be a great training tool. Properly done to record responses without affecting anyone's responsibility to the response, I think that you can show good driving habits vs. poor habits. Filming the scene provides invaluable documentation of the conditions on arrival and fire progression or hopefully regression. We are fortuneate enought o have a dept. photographer who takes stills at almost every run (not EMS) but moving to video would be a huge benefit for training. And if you're scared what will be caught on tape, then you're already wrong!