Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
gpdexplorer

Pick Up fire w/magnesium explosion

10 posts in this topic

This video should say watch as a firefighter fights a car fire without a pack and something goes wrong.

Other then not wearing a pack.....what went wrong?

all else fails throw your scott pack at it!! oh thats right he wasnt wearing one....whats wrong with me

ALS,

since i am still learning, could you share your thoughts on the video?

Thanx

I'm gonna take a stab at this one as a non-fire guy and say - He was on the nozzle. Shouldn't he have a guy behind him holding the hose in case it gets loose?

I'm glad other people saw stuff wrong with this video... For the new people, there were a couple things wrong with this.

1. It appears that the engine is parked directly behind the truck on fire.... You should never walk infront or behind of a burning vechicle

2. He wasnt wearing a scott pack, or mask... so he really wasnt protected

3. There was no one backing him up on the hoseline (even though there doesnt seem to be that much preasure)

4. He kept spraying the magnesium with water even after it exploded

Those are just my thoughts

gpdexplorer sorry I'm a little late.

Some issues I saw:

1. No SCBA

2. Apparatus positioning

3. For some his water application is a improper tactic. I sweep under the vehicle first.

As far as not having a back up, not a big deal to me. If you look at the video it appears it loops with the reaction of the engine block/material to water. Average/recommended flow for car fires is 125 GPM's. As long as your not using 1 1/2" still, in a 1 3/4" line its not much pressure that one person couldn't handle.

As far as putting water on it...that isn't always a problem. the problem is he has it on a fog for one and the flow is too low. A class D extinguisher would not be very effective here because it has to cover the flammable metal and then form a crust layer for it to begin extinguishment. Straight stream with a greater flow (the infamous copious amounts of water we've all heard) generally will cause a flair up but the risk of such a violent reaction as what was witnessed is greatly reduced. What happens as in this case, the water when it hit the metal caused a flare up and causes the water to convert to steam so rapidly it causes a high energy violent reaction. 2 things will happen, the material will burn away taking away the fuel or you will absorb enough heat to extinguish the material.